Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently developed a leak where the torque tube attaches to the front axle. Is it just a seal or do I have bigger problems? I still have a problem with the lockers leaking air. I put oil in the lines, but still have a leak. Could this be related. Most important--can it wait untill summer to be repaired?
Thanks
john

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Definitely a seal problem, it could be a leak from the transmission filling your torque tube, a seal at the pinion draining your differential, it could be the air leak on your lockers pushing the oil out at the pinion seal.

·
Registered
1980 U416, 1992 U1450 DoKa
625 Posts
What I would do

Definitely a seal problem, it could be a leak from the transmission filling your torque tube, a seal at the pinion draining your differential, it could be the air leak on your lockers pushing the oil out at the pinion seal.
I would do as follows:

1. WASH everything before doing nothing and observe where that oil is coming from.
2. Make sure where the oil comes from, in this case the picture suggests that the oil (air) comes from the fitting above the torque tube. I guess that air is pushing oil out of the fitting dripping over the torque tube, although it could be that you are getting oil from the two places.
3. Once you detect the real leak location you can continue hunting the source.
4. Consider that you could even be getting the air from a bad compressor spitting oil into you air system.

Keep us posted on your progress, maybe we could help.

Saludos

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
To my eye, that is the front axle and the dual unions at the top by the air locker line are for the two front brake circuits. I would immeadiately check your brake fluid level and the torque of the flare nuts, if not loose a cracked line is possible. With pressure applied to the brakes I bet you'ld see a leak.

Oil wouldn't climb from the torque tube up the union braket. Plus you can see some spots where the leak staining appears to be evaporating, oil won't do that. I bet the paint on that upper line will wipe right off.

On the plus side, if that is the problem, the fix is way cheaper!

Good luck

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
I just got back from town with some degreaser spray to clean up the mess a little. The brake line was my first thought since the oil seems to be coming from the top, but I have plenty of fluid in the resorvoir. I'm not ruling that out though!! I will clean it up soon and post back what I find.

john

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Coach, I might have to try that.
I have been sick with the flu for the past 2.5 weeks, so I just got around to messing with the mog today. I had sprayed the lines with some degreaser, but it is still pretty gunky. I tightened up one of the brake lines about an 1/8 of a turn and I hope that was the leak. I'm not sure because the reservoir isn't low. I will have to wait for warmer weather so I can power wash everything off.
My next problem is the trans oil. I check it and it seems I have a little moisture in the oil---pretty gunky and greenish looking.
What is the recommendation on trans oil???
On that note, I might as well change all the fluids.
What is everyone using?
I figured Rotella would be fine for the motor and I just replaced the hydraulic fluid with 10w20 universal tractor fluid ( I had to replace the line from the res. to the pump).
Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
This fluid change will have to wait another week because we are headed to Squaw Valley for a ski vacation!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys,

john

Ps -- I had a brake line that was rubbing on one of the torque tube bolts, but wasn't worn all the way through----should I replace it??

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Hope you get feeling much better. Flu is definately a drag.

Most of your questions above can be answered by cruising the "Ulitmate Mog Sticky" found at the top of this forum. Use it to get to the link of FAQ/DIY's.

After reading thru some of that do a search for "*oil" in the mog forum. There is many discussions on what is the best oil to use in the various mog parts.

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
289 Posts
If the brake line was rubbed through to the reinforcement fibres moisture could rot them and weaken them, if its just scuffed off some of the surface rubber it should be fine.

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Crash, but it is one of the metal lines that runs along the top of the front torque tube. I'm guessing it is about half worn through.

john

1 - 11 of 11 Posts