Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450SL (RIP); 2007 Impala 9C3 (Police); 2010 Ford Edge
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I changed my oil, fixed the fuel leaks, put in a fresh battery and everything was ready to try cranking for the first time....so I did.

After about 10 seconds it coughed but didn't catch. Tried again, couch - no catch and I noticed no oil pressure and I heard a leak - something giving off pressure. Got out and checked for fuel leaks again and found about 1/2 quart of fresh oil running down the fuel lines on the firewall, driver's side!!!:mad:

It isn't the valve cover gasket and I don't think :confused: it could be the head gasket....Are there oil system lines on the driver's side of the motor? I need some help here... I checked EPC and Germanica and couldn't find anything.

It was late last night and I was really frustrated, so I sopped up the oil and called it a night. Any suggestions on what I should check? I really want to hear it run before I have to store it for the winter.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
...noticed no oil pressure and I heard a leak - something giving off pressure. Got out and checked for fuel leaks again and found about 1/2 quart of fresh oil running down the fuel lines on the firewall, driver's side!!!:mad:...
Just a quick guess, but could it be your oil pressure gauge line?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.....you're right. I confirmed it over lunch today (lucky I work close to home). The plastic line comes off the back of the head and runs into the firewall, looks like it just blew. I'll try to get a pick...

At least I wasn't cranking it dry - and I proved (the hard way) I was generating oil pressure! Thank God for small victories!

Thanks, Rowdie, for the EPC link. I hadn't thought to look in the instrumentation section for a reason for my oil leak!

·
7,166 Posts
Tally...

Ears
Right--------------------------------------Wrong
llll-------------------------------------lll................N!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops.....kudos/thanks to Ears, too. Missed ya in post #4.

·
7,166 Posts
Thanks guys.....you're right...
You said Guys...

Don't misunderstand... My post was to tally up that I got another one right... to go along with the multitude I have gotten wrong. :)

Just a light-hearted, rhetorical, OT post to provoke a smile...

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
Meanwhile back at the ranch...........
You are going to have the remove the instrument cluster to replace it. I tried different tubing and clamping methods but finally gave in and bought the part from MB. There is a reason we give a warning about starting the car with the cluster removed on the early models. You end up with a lap full or floor full of oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts