Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230K 2002
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I put the car on the stands to inspect the different rubber parts of the car and once I removed the front cover I discovered I had an oil leak. From the top of the engine bay I couldnt see any leaks. Filter looked clean, the adj cam looks nice and neat and there was no sign of oil new or old.

I then degreased the oil sump and everything surrounding it so I can find where it is coming from. Ran the enginer to temp and then revved it a bit to simulate driving rpms etc. Had another look and voila! I have an oil leak from the sump. Have a look at the first pic. Then tried to squeeze my camera as my head was hard to adjust as I dont have ramps or a hoist and took the second pic which I have attached. As you can see the gasket has been leaking extensively from this point but what is alarming is the chunk of the sump that is missing. It is as if it was damaged somehow.

So my questions are:
1)do I need to replace the gasket? will this fix the issue? or will this sump chunk always make it leak nomatter what
2)can I get a paste, or silicone or something that I can seal it with so that I dont have to spend loads of money in having it replaced? I am guessing it is not an easy job to replace it as lots of things seem to be in the way.
3)I used a stop leak fluid today to see if this fixes it... guy at Repco said I wouldnt hold my breath...but he said its the easiest and probably first thing you should try... so I did. Mechanic in a bottle has never been a winner in my books

I appreciate all the help guys. It is amazing how many things I have learned from you all about our car and how to do all the mechanical repairs and servicing.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Hi guys,
I put the car on the stands to inspect the different rubber parts of the car and once I removed the front cover I discovered I had an oil leak. From the top of the engine bay I couldnt see any leaks. Filter looked clean, the adj cam looks nice and neat and there was no sign of oil new or old.

I then degreased the oil sump and everything surrounding it so I can find where it is coming from. Ran the enginer to temp and then revved it a bit to simulate driving rpms etc. Had another look and voila! I have an oil leak from the sump. Have a look at the first pic. Then tried to squeeze my camera as my head was hard to adjust as I dont have ramps or a hoist and took the second pic which I have attached. As you can see the gasket has been leaking extensively from this point but what is alarming is the chunk of the sump that is missing. It is as if it was damaged somehow.

So my questions are:
1)do I need to replace the gasket? will this fix the issue? or will this sump chunk always make it leak nomatter what
2)can I get a paste, or silicone or something that I can seal it with so that I dont have to spend loads of money in having it replaced? I am guessing it is not an easy job to replace it as lots of things seem to be in the way.
3)I used a stop leak fluid today to see if this fixes it... guy at Repco said I wouldnt hold my breath...but he said its the easiest and probably first thing you should try... so I did. Mechanic in a bottle has never been a winner in my books

I appreciate all the help guys. It is amazing how many things I have learned from you all about our car and how to do all the mechanical repairs and servicing.

It very easy to remove the oil pan to replace the gasket. You should use both, the gasket and silicone for that extra insurance. But first, try to re-tight all the bolts on the oil pan. I found about 4 bolts on mine was loose.

·
Registered
SLK230K 2002
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys...i'll have to go get a set of tools or pop past a local independent. Any idea what those bolts are called? they are not torx?

I have posted a zoomed image... hope that is clearer. If the tightening doesnt do it, can I put silicone on it as a temporary solution? or will it melt off :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
ok thanks guys...i'll have to go get a set of tools or pop past a local independent. Any idea what those bolts are called? they are not torx?

I have posted a zoomed image... hope that is clearer. If the tightening doesnt do it, can I put silicone on it as a temporary solution? or will it melt off :eek:
Only temporarily.
You will need to clean real well. There is no pressure behind oil. AND it will NOT melt off.:)

They are torx. E series.

NEW BLUE POINT TOOLS BY SNAP ON RECESS TORX SOCKET SET - eBay, Hand Tools, Tools, Home. (end time 16-May-08 13:50:03 AEST)
9PCE 1/2" Dr. Torx Socket Sockets Set CRV Professional - eBay, Hand Tools, Tools, Home. (end time 17-May-08 23:36:01 AEST)

·
Registered
SLK230K 2002
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much. I'll get myself a set of 3/8" to complement the toolkit :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts