Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased an '89 560 SL which is in great condition, except for a slow Oil leak.<br> <br> When we bought the car the previous owner told us that three years ago he took it in to MB for a slow oil leak and they simply replaced the Oil filter gasket and the Oil Pan Drain Plug Gasket. Simply, that was it....fixed until recently... I wanted it fixed totally.<br> <br> So when I brought it to my German car expert to investigate, without mentioning the past leak history, he pinpointed that both gaskets need to be replaced, and that was it....fixed.<br> <br> Has anyone else had a problem with their gaskets crapping out on them every few years? Seems wierd...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have an '86 with the 'slow leak'.<br> <br> Recently changed both valve cover gaskets that has helped but not solved the problem.<br> <br> Are you talking about your MB expert changing the oil filter & plug gasket again? <br> <br> Seems my leak is towards the rear of the engine. Have tried to follow the trail, but to no avail - as of yet.<br> <br> Thanks for the posting,<br> Stan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guy changed the oil filter and valve gaskets, as well as the pan plug. After watching it this weekend, it has significantly slowed it to a minor drip, but is has not completely stopped. <br> <br> I'm going to let it sit all week (Weekend Car) and see what accumulates before i call him back.... <br> <br> Let's try to get this thing....i hate oil drips (no longer 'Leak' status)<br> <br> thanks for posting

·
Registered
1989 560SL
58 Posts
I have 3 560 SL's and a 380 SL.. i love these cars... but trust me you will NEVER stop under carriage leaks completely.. it is just simpy impossible.. very fristrating but a fact

1 - 4 of 4 Posts