Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 300TD and recently noticed oil on the carpet near the gas pedal. I took the plastic piece off of the dashboard underside and found that there was a significant amount of oil that looked to be coming from the tach or the oil pressure gauge. I left the piece off and now the oil just drips down from the above in the innards of the display, where could this be coming from and what would be the best way to fix it?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Tom

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The oil pressure gauge actually measures the oil pressure via a tube (filled with oil) that connects to the crankcase. That tube is leaking at the conection to the oil pressure gauge. You need to tighten the connection or check for a leak in the tube. Easiest way is to remove the steering wheel (with a -I think - 10 mm hex wrench) push the instrument panel out from behind and simply tighten the connector. You can probably do it without removing the wheel, but it is harder to reach the connector. Good Luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom,<br> <br> Fix that oil leak now, it's the small oil line from the engine to the oil meter. Very simple to get to. Take a coat hanger and bend a very short , about 1/8 inch 90 degree bend in it. Push the bent wire between the dash and instrument panel right at the corner of the instrument panel. Slide the hook down along the instrument panel until you're half way down the side and snag the hook on the panel edge and pull outwards. Do the same on the other side and the instrument panel in out. Now unplug the electrical plug, unscrew the speedo cable and disconnect the small oil line. You'll probably find that the oil line needs replacing. use new plastice lines and new brass ferrels and your problem is solved.<br> <br> Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.