Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

Thought I would share an oil leak issue with my SLK350 that Mercedes is troubleshooting. A Check Oil alert crossed my instrument panel over the weekend. After checking the oil, the oil didn't register on the stick. (BTW...there is a dipstick in the 350) Road service arrived and confirmed I was down 1.5 quarts. No visible leaks. Nothing on my garage floor/driveway. He added oil and I brought my vehicle in yesterday. No visible leaks. My SLK Tech found that the area that showed signs of excessive oil was at the blower tubes. He showed me what they were and explained it was normal for minimal amounts of oil to sometimes get to the blower tubes but he was concerned that the amount of oil that he found at these locations appeared excessive. The oil burns off which explains why there was no signs of oil on my floor. This is the first oil experience they have run into and have solicited the direction of Mercedes home office. I just had my 2500 mile first check up 3weeks ago. There was nothing abnormal reported. I am concerned that the tech that did that service couldn't remember checking the oil, but stated it was part of his checklist and would have noted an abnormality. 1.5 quarts is a lot of oil to not remember if he really checked it. Just thought I would give you folks a heads up and I'll keep you posted on the result. HOpe they figure it out soon as I miss driving my rocket. :(

bobbyM [:(]

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also have a concern. I have less the 300 miles on her. She sat a few days and when I fired her up I got a cloud of smoke that was worse then starting my diesel. Anyone else seen this? Seemed very excessive to me. Has not happened again.

·
Registered
SLK 350 facelift, palladium + gullwing red
67 Posts
hi
After using no oil at all for the first 2500 mls my oil level warning light also came on one morning. The oil level was right at the bottom of the dipstick on my SLK350 auto. I put one litre of oil in which filled it to the top of the mark - so it had used a litre in 900 mls after using nothing up to then. It then used a further half litre over the next 500 mls. I was getting some puffs of blue smoke on cold start but no leaks at all. I got my local dealer to check it out and they found nothing amiss and said that 'they use oil in early stages'. It has used no oil since so it's a complete mystery. The lesson is to keep checking the oil at least weekly during the first 6000 mls and don't be lulled into a sense of false security.

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got an update. MB had the my Tech stip down some of the shielding to confirm if there is scorching along side the engine. There was. The Tech did not indicate the cause of the scorching. He is waiting to hear back from MB as to where to go from here. My tech/service writer told me what he feels might be the worst case scenario...replace the engine. I voiced not wanting to keep the vehicle should the worst case scenario play out. Surprisingly he responded by stating ordering a new vehicle would not be out of the choices of options. We're not at that point yet. I'm just going to go with the flow. Scary thing is the vehicle has had no sign of any trouble. Running strong and purrs like a kitten. Completely pampered it well past the breakin period. Had it not been for the alert I would have never known. My sales guy originally told me this vehicle had no dip stick. I usually check my oil habitually. I completely agree with the last gentlemen's suggestion to check the oil frequently. Stay tuned!

bobbyM

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
05SLKMadMax - 3/30/2005 2:36 PM

USA

Just updated my profile.
Thanks 05SLKMadMax and thanks for the post; I'll be checking my dipstick this afternoon after work...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
A malfunction message showed up while I was driving on the freeway indicating that I check my oil level. This was around 2500 miles. I checked the dipstick and it was below the 'lo' mark. I took it into the dealer the next day and they said there appeared to be no leaks and just filled it up. I'm at 3500 miles now and the oil levels appear to be ok.

What or where would I find the blower to check to see if there's excessive oil?

At 3500 miles, the oil appears to be pretty dark. The dealer still recommends that I wait till the 13K mile service. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I'm having my oil and filter changed at 3,500 no matter what the manual says. I'll feel better about getting the initial oil with all of the contaminants out of there.

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi GreenDestiny

This is what I've learned:

-The 0-40 Synthetic European Mobil-1 MB uses does turn dark brown. The tech explained synthetic oil does not stay clear (He could be blowing smoke up my ass, but he's been right so far)

-Checking the oil within the first 15 minutes of shutting off the engine will not give an accurate reading. They recommended letting the engine sit for about 15 minutes. (I think manual states 5minutes)

-I may have the part name wrong, but it is either blower or breather tubes. They look like small plug-like devices next to the spark plugs. Although getting to them involved the tech stripping away some surrounding parts. I wouldn't do it myself.

-I had voiced wanting to change my oil at the first visit.(2500 miles) The tech stated that it wasn't necessary, but would do it if I wanted to have it done. I was actually going to have it done this week as I am just at 3K miles. He added that changing it before 13K wasn't a bad idea and was kinda like "added engine maintenance insurance". Bottom line, it wouldn't hurt.

Don't want everyone to get nervous about their SLK rides. I feel strongly what I'm experiencing is a rare occurance. This vehicle's been Awesome. And have heard only positive experiences about this wonder machine.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I have noticed some slight amount of smoke two or three times after starting up after the car sat for several days. At 1800 miles, my oil level is about a pint low and dark in color. I think I will have it changed at 3000-3500, too. Synthetic oil is touchy as break in oil (JMHO). In aircraft engines, we break in using mineral oil first, until rings seat and oil usage stabilizes. Then I use a semi-synthetic blend (Aeroshell).

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching.

Roberta

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Just checked mine and it looks fine...

History
10/1 Euro delivery - 1800 miles in Europe with 10/13 drop off in paris
12/16 Picked up in US
sometime late January - 1-3K Inspection at about 2800mi.
Today - 8231 miles and no problems with oil OK...

...[:D][8D][:D][8D][:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
For what it's worth, my car just turned 1000 miles. Just checked the oil. Totally full and was surprised to see the oil very clear, not dark at all. Maybe it will darken as the miles go by. But I appreciate the post as I never even thought to check the oil until now.

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
I got the low oil warning at about 2500 miles. I put in a little more than 1/2 quart of Mobil One after talking to a MB tech rep via Roadside Assistance. He said to not put the entire quart in if not needed. About 700 miles later got the low oil warning again so I put the rest of the quart in.

The oil color looked fine; clear and light tan.

Hope this is just a break-in problem since a quart ever 2500 miles seems excessive to me.

Bill

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Folks

Just thought I would give you an update. I learned a bit more about the term "scorching". As many of you may know, it actually refers to a piston scraping the inside of the engine due to low oil level. The piston seal can't keep all of the oil out because the wall is no longer smooth. This causes the oil to burn and scorch the engine wall. Mercedes actually confirmed scorching in my engine via an optiscopic probe being fed into the engine. All quite ER like.

Bottom line...they are performing an Oil Consumption Test and I need to bring the vehicle back in exactly 620 miles. The result will determine the next procedure. They are still not ruling out replacing the engine. I politely suggested that they be sure to let the dealership owner know about the matter and that he may want to start ordering another vehicle. Once again, no one thought that was an unreasonable request.

I got the car back this morning and it is running strong and well. Just goes to prove that even with this flaw the vehicle is well engineered. Drive Fast!

bobbyM [;)]

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
05SLKMadMax - 4/2/2005 3:31 AM

Just thought I would give you an update. I learned a bit more about the term "scorching". As many of you may know, it actually refers to a piston scraping the inside of the engine due to low oil level....
Thanks mate, a very interesting thread.

My view - despite the fact that your car seems ok, some serious damage has been done. Cylinder / piston damage are major issues. The fact that MB is so interested in this (they would be worried whether this might be a fault on more cars - very expensive recalls, bad press, etc) should tell you something.

If this was me, I'd say to MB that I would be happy to do their oil consumption tests etc, but they should get on and ORDER A NEW CAR NOW. Once they have delivered it, they can take your old car and do all the tests they want, open up the engine, send it to Germany, whatever. Maybe they have a car on the floor you like. Go shopping!

Do not even think about having the engine replaced. It will never be the same again.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Roadsta

You're absolutely right on every point. I received a follow up service call from Mercedes today at home. Pretty routine. Once again expressed my concern about an engine replacement and was quite direct about ordering another vehicle. Again, I did not receive any pushback on the possibility of ordering another vehicle. This reaction may be backup to your thought about Mercedes wanting to be sure this is not a bigger design flaw and negative publicity issue. I was encouraged by the customer service person to call two specific managers on Monday. I will definitely be calling them first thing Monday morning. Hard to think anything is wrong as the vehicle runs as strong as the first day I brought him home. Thanks for the words of support. bobbyM

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
I had to add 1 quart after 4K miles. I used to add 1 quart every 2500 miles on my Porsche 911. These F1 inspired engines burn oil... perfectly normal.

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tullios

I appreciate your personal experience with your 911. However, Mercedes is treating this as a very serious matter and finds this type of oil consumption and engine damage quite abnormal. I am being low key and informative about this matter as there's no reason to alarm other SLK owners. But calling this type of oil consumption normal is by no means in line with the experts at Mercedes. Thanks for sharing your experience.

bobbyM [8D]

1 - 20 of 66 Posts