Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have what I think is an oil (rather than PS fluid) leak from the area near the tensioner. I've searched here for those keywords but have not found something to help me ID the source. I've cleaned the area and looked again and it is coming from the "midsection" of the engine in terms of height, not from the top. It is first visible around the tensioner, that is new (I have recently replaced the tensioner, in other words).
Is there a common fault area that I need to focus on? I'm about to give up and go to a mechanic.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Yes, the oil pressure test port. It is a small lid which its gasket starts leaking after a while. You should be able to get an updated port cover with seal, and install it yourself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha! Thanks Mr. Boca. I was looking at this:

in my search but could not sort out which end of the engine that's from. OK I'll give it a go. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
You might as well check the tensioner out. Oil seepage into the tensioner body can cause tensioner issues. I think there was a T. bulletin on that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I went and looked. The top of the tensioner is dry. The oil port itself seems oil-free (relatively; there is some soot but nothing pouring out like I see on the lower part of the front of the engine below the tensioner).

I drew a yellow arrow showing where the oil is accumulating.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a valid point. The PS reservoir and pump are suspiciously near. How could I tell at this point?

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Clean the place with brake cleaner spray and let dry. Let the engine run for a while turn the steering wheel side to side a couple of times, run the a/c, get a sample on a white tissue paper or cloth. Do a smell test. Power steering fluid has a distinct smell, and you can remove the PS reservoir cap and get a sample to compare color and smell. Very close to compressor. Could be a leaking compressor. Check the top of the compressor where the suction / pressure ports are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the compressor replaced. The old compressor had a seized clutch. I wonder if one of the lines to the compressor is faulty. I had the AC system refilled on Thursday. I changed the tensioner myself and noticed the oil there below the tensioner (as shown in the photo) but I didn't think anything of it at the time other than "hm there's oil here" (silly of me, I know).

I'll do the smell test later this week since I have to run to work but I sincerely appreciate your help and patience! I'll post an update once I have a chance to smell around.

Thank you very much. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK thanks again, I had a closer look as discussed. I do think it's oil. I am going to keep looking for a source and may change the oil port cover just for fun anyway. I got rained out and ran out of daylight so it was not meant to be I suppose but I'll post back when I sort out what went wrong.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
OK thanks again, I had a closer look as discussed. I do think it's oil. I am going to keep looking for a source and may change the oil port cover just for fun anyway. I got rained out and ran out of daylight so it was not meant to be I suppose but I'll post back when I sort out what went wrong.

I appreciate the help.
My 2 cents.
I'd leave that alone (for now) and continue your search for the oil leak.
Clean/ degrease the front area and anywhere else you can and monitor.
If you can, place a cardboard sheet below the front portion of the engine and park the same so that you can
take a peek each time, in and out.
Patience. The leak is going anywhere fast. ;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Check the underside of the oil cooler ,,and the oil filter housing ,that is another common failure point...two gaskets on the cooler to filter housing and a larger one at the base of the filter housing can be replaced.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ok thanks ,,I stand corrected ,,,he can still check the oil filter housing gasket.
And can also check higher up ,,the filler cap gasket ,,breather covers ,,valve cover gasket..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hm... One thing I'd not accounted for when trying to sort out whether it's PS fluid or oil is that it may be both. I'm wiping and looking and so on, and I've not given up. I'll find it, eventually. I'll update again, thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts