Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I've got an 87 2.3 190 and about every 100 miles or so I have to clean my air cleaner housing out because it has oil standing in it. The oil is coming from the bypass hose from the valve cover. Is this a common problem, is this an easy fix or what's the deal?

CC

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
On the underside of the valve cover is a pressure relief baffle/oil trap that prevents the airspace under the valve cover from becoming pressurized. The oil trap is supposed to keep oil from exiting out the breather.

When excessive pressure builds under the cover, like when the valve stem seals start to crack or a valve isn't seating properly, oil will find its way into the air filter housing by design. Too much oil indicates you have a pressure problem under the valve cover.

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...so what's the fix? Do I remove the valve cover and replace or clean the valve? I just bought this 190 and with it I got a stack of receipts, just last year in 2004 the valve seals were replaced so I hoping that this is a simple fix.

CC

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
If the valve seals were properly replaced, then you might try cleaning out (varnish remover and compressed air) the vent. If it continues, then you'll have to check the valve seating. Any unsual sounds while the engine is running?

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine sounds GREAT off idle, it chatters a little bit when idling but I'd bet thats normal because it is so slight. Is that valve replacable?

CC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts