Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bellow my alternator there is what looks like a pump but im not sure and it has a wire harness plugged into it it has a small leak on this im not sure what part this is so i can get a seal or gasket does anyone know what i'm talking about or had this problem its a slow leak but it bothers me nevertheless i have a 96 c280 please help

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
the 96 i believe still has the M104 motor, inline 6. Below the Alternator, is the secondary air injection system for your vehicle. Could be one of two things. First the Head gasket has failed(typical if gasket hasn't been replaced with updated/revised version) and is slowly trickling down to that spot(like mine has). The second possibility is also what happened to me. The transmission fluid needs cooling so it has hoses running fluid to the front by the radiator. One line is rubber with a metal coil wrapped around it.It connects a metal line to the radiator potion. Mine started to leak and it slowly but surely stained on to the secondary injection unit. I had two distinct stains. One running down from the head gasket and another leaking next to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ill try and see if is head gasket becase i'm pretty sure its just oil not atf have you changed your head gasket yet? if so other than head gasket what did you need to purchase thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you're not leaving puddles on the ground forget about it, and go have a cup of tea. I was going to say beer, but I shouldn't be promoting drinking!

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Funny you ask that I am starting a new thread this afternoon, I redid the Head gasket and the complete engine wiring harness too. All the specifics will be there. The car is being finished up right now as iam posting this.

The Transmission hose was replaced the day i found the leak. It was some 25 bucks and good bye fluid leak. Now a few months later iam going for it and decided to hold on to my car and run her to the ground. I will be the last owner the car will ever have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i hate leaking oil and i am to much of a perfectionist to allow my car to lose any fluids so ill have to pinpoint the leak but it looks like its coming from the secondary air pump most likely its a drip from above thanks for everyones insight what is the like to your new post torrem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts