Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD, 1981 300TD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 300TD

Had to change out my water pump this weekend and after taking off all the belts, fan and fan shroud, I got a good look at probably 1/4" thick gunk buildup on the front of the engine. Looks like it's been a slow process, because its dried, but still incredibly sticky on one's forearms. Probably went through a quart of Fast Orange over the weekend.

Eventually want to clean all of it off, but the important question is where is it coming from? Crankshaft seal?

Also, there's wet oil, not really gunk, all on the bottom of the engine, this leaves little dribbles in my driveway but it's never a whole lot which makes me think that it's only leaking when it's running. Have already changed the valve cover gasket when I adjusted valves, still dribbling.

So where could all of this oil be coming from? Any obvious spots to look at?

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
The best way to check for leaks is to clean off the engine first, making it easy to locate where the leaks originate. Take a bottle of degreaser or concentrated cleaner (for example Simple Green or Purple Power) with you to a car wash and spray all that gunk off.

My valve cover gasket has been leaking and I changed that out earlier in the year. Not sure if that's from over tightening the valve cover, or if the four nuts holding it aren't adequate for the gasket surface area.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
Given the info provided, the stuff on the front of the engine could be dirty exhaust from the vacuum pump. When facing the engine, does it seem more concentrated on the right side of the engine? Do you find yourself topping up the brake fluid often? If yes, I fixed mine with a new master cylinder.

And the stuff on the underneath, pretty sure that's your turbo oil supply leaking. Usual culprit is the waste gate seal. I fixed mine with 2 qts of rear main seal sealant.

//greg//

1 - 3 of 3 Posts