Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after rebuilding my engine ( first time rebuilding engine btw ) i had an oil leak ( which i had before too ). You could see it at the front timing cover, so i resealed the front timing cover and now that area is dry always. But the oil leak still is coming from somewhere else. It gets my belt wet and when it gets my belt wet, the belt makes everything else wet. It seems to come from the Vibration Damper. I can't trace it though anywhere because it goes down from the front of the engine and gets spread around everywhere.

Now i wanted to see if it could be the front seal at the crank so i turned my engine on and looked underneath. The Vibration damper does not seem to be spinning evenly. It seems to have a little play as it doesn't spin solidly but rather uneven. I also once took out my rad, and found 1 allen key bolt missing that holds the pulley to the damper and another one was loose.

So my question is

1. Why is it spinning unevenly? ( i did not touch my bottom end )
2. Is this the cause of the oil leak?
3. Why where the bolts loose at the pulley ( cause of oil? )

Now i also noticed one of my idle pulleys makes a lot of noise and the bearing is bad in it. It is the one that is attached to the small cover at the front of the engine right below the front timing cover and above the crank. Could this have caused the crank seal to fail, as it rotates around the belt and the belt causes other pulleys to rotate unevenly?

I really want this oil leak gone as i fixed the timing cover one and it's dry as a baby's butt. And i really don't want to be driving and find my damper on the floor with everything broken.

I have aanother unrelated question. My car usually takes 2 tries to start. Once it starts for a split second, and dies down. The 2nd time it starts up and it never dies. It just hard to start. Could it be the CPS? Because i noticed the wire that goes into the CPS seems a little stripped and you could see some wire coming out of the actual CPS so i taped it shut.

THANKS A LOT!

·
Registered
1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
737 Posts
your fuel accumulator may be shot or clogged, start with the basics before trying to mess with electrical problems

·
Registered
737 Posts
when you said you rebuilt your engine do you mean you pulled the head or did you just put a new valve cover gasket???

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you said you rebuilt your engine do you mean you pulled the head or did you just put a new valve cover gasket???
I did my head gasket, i took the head to a machine shop to be resurfaced/sandblasted/cleaned

New water pump, new timing chain, ( old tensioner, and plastic brackets and infact the right bracket snapped off a little bit ) used steering pump, used air pump, cleaned the pistons once head was off (I didnt do anything to the bottom end though )

Took all the pieces out of the engine except the block basically and cleaned them.

Engine doesn't make any weird sounds or anything, and runs fine when its on.

But i really want this oil leak to go away.
Yesterady i was driving for a LONG time in a hot humid day and my oil pressure was REALLY low. In idle on D, when the car is just a bit above 500RPM, it will almost drop to 0 and that is scaring me! Once i hit the gas, it goes up to 2 but it seems to never go to 3 now? ( and i think i remember before the rebuild it used to reach 3? )

Like when i start it up when the engine is cold, it will sit at 2 even in idle, but when driving for a long time in a hot day, the pressure will go below 1 to around 0.5. But yesterday it seemd to go below 0.5 even almost touching the bottom of the 0 ( usually it sits around the top of the 0 ) So i was sitting at the light and put it in N and it went back to at least 0.5 or 1

My biggest concern is this

- oil pressure
- oil leak ( could it be the crank seal? and why is the vibration damper pulley not spinning uniform but sort of like crooked, not much but more noticable than other pulleys )

because i do not want my engine to seize if something goes wrong.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this car and i am happy that i fixed at least the top timing cover leak but this other leak has to go away

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your fuel accumulator may be shot or clogged, start with the basics before trying to mess with electrical problems
the fuel accumulator is one of the pumps at the bottom rear of the car right? I never changted any of those. filter or pump.

·
Registered
737 Posts
the fuel accumulator is one of the pumps at the bottom rear of the car right? I never changted any of those. filter or pump.
i know my pump went shotty so i had to replace filter and accumulator i just figured since i was down there my tis well

·
Registered
737 Posts
did you correcttly tighten bolts on head to specs and in sequence start from middle
the m8 front bolts are supposed to be tighted to 18 lbs and the m12 bolts are to be tightened to 52 then 2 stages of 90 degrees, also did you havge the head pressure tested??? also when you are taling the vibration dampner pulley are you talking the idler pulley by the alt or what

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you correcttly tighten bolts on head to specs and in sequence start from middle
the m8 front bolts are supposed to be tighted to 18 lbs and the m12 bolts are to be tightened to 52 then 2 stages of 90 degrees, also did you havge the head pressure tested??? also when you are taling the vibration dampner pulley are you talking the idler pulley by the alt or what
im talking about the pulley that is hooked up to the crank. You know how there is a pulley on the crank and then there is a disc hooked up to the pulley? it seems to be leaking from there but i have no way to test it as you can't really see. I did tighten the head in that sequence and i don't see any leaks around the head. Where else can the 2.6 leak? i know front top timing cover is #1 in the book but where else? it's def not in the rear of the engine as it drips down the front and then gets all oily on the oil pan.

btw i fixed my low oil pressure problem. I just needed an oil change. I put in syntehtic last time and thought i could drive for at least 7K and so i did. Turns out the filter was clogged anyway so now that i put a new filter and new 15w50 oil in it, pressure goes to 3 :D and doesn't drop below 1 on idle :D

but i still got that oil leak :mad:

thanks for your feedback, any other suggestion?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts