Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled the boot that serves the front drive shaft to replace it today. about 8 ounces of gear oil poured forth!( ...is this normal?) its gear oil so i think its from the axel...i have syntrans in the trans.....any thoughts?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
krisinak said:
... its gear oil so i think its from the axel...i have syntrans in the trans.....any thoughts?
Gear oil could have been there from before you swapped to synthetics.

To best trace it you might want to try some of that new fangled tracer chemicals. They have it for oil, coolant and fuel. you put the right stuff in the right place. and run her normal. Then you take an ultraviolet light and look.... where ever it is coming from will glow under the light. Last I saw even Cheapozone etc. carried the stuff.

That being said I do remember discussions about leaks in these pressureized systems. You might do some searches.

What I dont know is if 8oz is normal or not.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,691 Posts
sounds like the output seal in the tranny is leaking. This is quite common on the 406-416's as these trucks are getting older. It is hard for oil to run up hill to the boot from the axle. I would check your tranny level first, if low that is the problem.

·
Registered
1976 406
557 Posts
I don't know if there is a seal between the differential and the torque tube, if not isn't it possible under extreme angles fore and aft that the oil could run up the torque tube when the diff gets elevated and collect in the bellows of the boot?

Blane

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have castrol syntrans i the trans, and reg gear lube in the diff. the oil in the boot was reg gear lube.....i suppose that leaves 2 possibilities: its from the trans and has been in there for a long time(the previous owner switched to syntrans)....or it came from the diff....i think ill just install the new boot and watch the fluid levels. thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,364 Posts
Oh my. Its oil and grease mixed. Its very common as far as Im concerned. Its likely your diff fluid mixed in with some very dirty nasty grease used to lube your torque ball. The torque tube will slightly fill up with diff oil when climbing even small hills. Then the oil gets mixed with the grease in the torque ball, and weeps out the seal in the gouges etc your torque ball surely has. This oil and grease mixture then lives in your protective boot. Dont worry about it.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
935 Posts
Yeah don't worry about it until you determine if your axle is over filled or not. If your levels are fine in both the axle and the trans, then yes, don't worry about it. I wouldn't just write it off until you determine this. My old 416 had this problem for quite a while, and as long as you maintain the levels, then it's not imperative to fix it immediately, but you sure want to stay on top of those oil levels for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Years ago when I first bought my 406 I noticed the strangest thing, when I activated the lockers oil would pour out off the driver's side banjo venting the hub, being new to the 406 it took a little head scratching at first since I never seen oil pour out at the top on an axle after you parked the vehicle and it continued for a few minutes.

After rebuilding the whole Mog and learning about its layout I can easily envision what was happening.

The front drive shaft seal was leaking at the transmission, oil was leaking into down the torque tube, eventually it filled the tube somewhat and it started leaking into the differential side filling it, as the transmission oil was low the owners were adding oil and as a consequence the front axle was kept full.

When the locker was activated air would leak at the piston inside the differential, the oil was higher than the drive axle tubes (oil in the differential housing) the driver side banjo was rusted and leaky, the relief connection going up the torque tube was smashed at the lower end limiting the free breathing of the axle, when the pressure built up enough it would push the oil out of the banjo until the level dropped enough to allow air only to escape, that is why it would sit there oozing oil for a while after it was parked, also it explains why it would not ooze oil all the time, it needed some time for the oil inside the torque tube to fill the axle again and not use the locker for some time.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,364 Posts
What you guys are not getting, is that he has fluid in his protective boot. Not specifically the torque tube. The inside of the torque tube is completly sealed from this protective boot. The fluid has to work its way around the ball through the joint, and into the boot. It takes awhile for this to happen in any quantity, unless the torque ball bushings are worn. So, that means that its probably fluid from 20-30 years of abuse, and nothing more. By all means, he should check the axles etc, but anything wrong with their levels will not immediatly account for this fluid, as it is normal anyways. And its most common on front axles anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts