Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm going to have my mechanic doing an oil change on my 2011 GL350 diesel in the next week or two. What type of oil do I need and how many quarts do I need?

I know I need "OEM Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M" but is there still different specs of this or is that old information? Such as: "The difference between the 229.51 and 229.31/CJ-4 is that .51 is referred to as a long life oil and is 99% of the time synthetic. 229.31 is regular life oil and most of the time is not synthetic." Also is there still synthetic and nonsynthetic versions of this and if so is the synthetic not recommended for the diesels?

Kamal,

Do you have a diesel or a GL450? If you have the diesel you need to either use a MB229.51 spec oil for the 10K mile drain interval, or MB229.31 (AKA API CJ-4) spec oil for a 5K mile drain interval...

The difference between the 229.51 and 229.31/CJ-4 is that .51 is referred to as a long life oil and is 99% of the time synthetic. 229.31 is regular life oil and most of the time is not synthetic.

For those that are looking for the 229.51... It is getting easier to find, little by little, but it is not something that the typical parts store carries just yet (I have bought mine online or from the dealer) Google Elf Solaris LSX or TOTAL Quartz INEO MC3 (same oil actually) and there are lots of dealers on the net that sell the stuff.

In a pinch, ANY Mercedes diesel can use the 229.31/CJ-4 stuff if the engine is low on oil... It actually says so on the top of the passenger side air filter housing if you pop the engine cover... This oil can be found almost anywhere, and can be found as Shell ROTELLA-T with Triple Protection, Chevron Delo 400 LE and Mobil Delvac 1300 Super... Just look for CJ-4 and MB229.31 on the back label. It is low ash formula that will not clog your particulate filter. The trick is that it is only good for 5K miles... So if you have more than 5K miles left before your next service when you add the oil, you just set it at 5K more miles maximum by adding the oil.

Kamal,

If you have a GL450... Well then nevermind... That meets MB229.5 which is longlife synthetic and exactly what the GL450 engine calls for...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just bought an '08 Gl320, and love it so far. I've also been curious about the oil requirements. Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M is only one of many approved 229.51 spec oils. I have found a few more sources for 229.51 spec oil besides the Mobil 1 and Total oils that have already been mentioned.

As I understand it, this is the 229.51 List, but few of these are availible in North America.
MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.51) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

I hear Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30 and 5W-40 are availible at Napa Auto Store ( or orderable at least).
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

Pentosin Super Performance III 5w30
Pentosin Super Performance III 5w30 507.00 5L - 8078206 - IDParts.com

Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30 507.00 5 Liter - IDParts.com

The Liqui Moly and Pentosin are pretty pricey at ~$9/L . But I imagine most 229.51 oils are going to be expensive.
I'm pretty sure 229.51 are all synthetic oils. not sure about 229.31 oils, but I agreee with Chris that a 229.51 spec oil should be used. That's what the Maintenence Schedule calls for.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
5w30 does not meet the temperature requirements for North America, 5w40 exceeds all requirements (High and low) and is your best option regardless of climate.

Only use the Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M, best oil out there and can easily go up to 20K on an oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
5w30 does not meet the temperature requirements for North America, 5w40 exceeds all requirements (High and low) and is your best option regardless of climate.
Good point about oil viscosity.
But MB spec 224.1 shows that 5W-30, 5W-40 and 5W-50 have the same temperature range.
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

Is this temperature requirement for North America in the Fluid Approved List Booklet. The previous owners of my GL320 must have lost it, as I don't have this booklet.:mad: But I've seen references to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks lkchris, I've been looking for that.

@drivbiwire, although I didnt see any MB literature that mentions 5W-30 not meeting requirements in North America, it's good advice given the problems VW's PD engine is having with 5W-30 VW 505.01 spec oil. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, I just had the oil changed on my 2008 320 at the dealer and they filled it with 0W-40. I became very agitated when I saw this and challenged my dealer, indicating that they did not use the correct oil and that they had to drain it and put the proper oil in. Long story short, MB has updated their oil spec sheet it indicate that 0W-40 is acceptable (that meets the 229.51 spec). Apparently this is the single oil that is now used for most MB vehicles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Great article and data. Usually change every 3500-4k out of habit, use 5-40 T6 and power service mix with some 2 st oil. All highway 70-80mph. Average 24-26mpg per last Florida drive with cruise set at 78mph mostly, idle for a few minutes prior to shut off at fuel stops. Will remove belly pan next oil change. Usually vacuum oil via topside device.
Probably be ok with regular Rotella 15/40.. So far so good, well see I suppose?

08 CDI 104kmi, GL320

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Great article and data. Usually change every 3500-4k out of habit, use 5-40 T6 and power service mix with some 2 st oil. All highway 70-80mph. Average 24-26mpg per last Florida drive with cruise set at 78mph mostly, idle for a few minutes prior to shut off at fuel stops. Will remove belly pan next oil change. Usually vacuum oil via topside device.

Probably be ok with regular Rotella 15/40.. So far so good, well see I suppose?

08 CDI 104kmi, GL320

I used the Mobil 1 0w30 ESP in ML when I had it with good results. I see people using all kinds of different weights though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I read the same article, I think the guys spot-on from my research. I recently purchased a GL320 and change oil with Mobil 1 esp added engine flush and drained oil at 1500 miles. Put in rotella 5 - 40 t6, will run this for 1000 to 1500 miles and flush and drain again but will run amsoil or redline with zinc. Not the spec'd oil mb, the API or EPA calls for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts