Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My m103 260e engine oil was changed two times a year for 4 years.Only use the car for shows . I was recomended Castrol Magnatec 10w40 semi synthetic oil by them after i visited the web site . You can try any oil distributors web site .Once on there you put you reg number in to get the right oil recomended for your engine .

·
Registered
682 Posts
My m103 260e engine oil was changed two times a year for 4 years.Only use the car for shows . I was recomended Castrol Magnatec 10w40 semi synthetic oil by them after i visited the web site . You can try any oil distributors web site .Once on there you put you reg number in to get the right oil recomended for your engine .
Why would we trust a oil manufacture to recommend the best oil for our engines over the engine manufacture?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Some oils say they are for diesel and gasoline engines (in several grades). If diesel oil is better for M103's/M104's, do those combo oils offer what diesel only oils (like dino 15w40) do?

For the sake of sharing, I use Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 | Shell Global and it says it is for both diesel and gasoline. On a side note, it is MB approval, not MB spec. MB approval (e.g. MB approval 229.5) means it was approved by MB personally while MB only (e.g. MB 229.5) means it meets the specs. of that approval number. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it is different by definition.

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
In a nutshell, only use diesel rated oils for all pre-FSS (flexible service schedule) Mercedes cars. FSS appeared circa 1997, well after W124 production ceased.

Doesn't matter if your car is gasoline or diesel powered

Diesel rated oils are tougher and have more of the important additives like ZDDP which these older engines need sorely and are lacking in modern techy oils.

That is why I will never recommend going full synthetic in any pre-FSS MB. Dumb move.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've been told that sticking with old engine oils is a dumb move too (back when I used to lurk in Bobistheoilguy couple of years ago) instead of looking in newer oils, but now I'm inclined to trusting what's approved in the time of production better, that I'm told in a specialized MB place that diesel+gas combo oils don't provide what diesel only oils provide, I got one question mark cleared off of my head. Good call. Dino 229.1 20W50 is everywhere around here and unfortunately dino 15W40 with 229.1 MB approval are completely gone after Mobile Super 15W40 stopped locally (locally branded Mobil XHP). That same brand provides the 20W50 above.

Any idea if dino 20W50 provides that zinc additive like or relative to 15W40's, let's say with both of the same approval sheet?

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
In a nutshell, only use diesel rated oils for all pre-FSS (flexible service schedule) Mercedes cars. FSS appeared circa 1997, well after W124 production ceased.

Doesn't matter if your car is gasoline or diesel powered

Diesel rated oils are tougher and have more of the important additives like ZDDP which these older engines need sorely and are lacking in modern techy oils.

That is why I will never recommend going full synthetic in any pre-FSS MB. Dumb move.
My 1999 W140/S320 has the M104 as in the older W124 and it has the FSS but I have been using 15W40's in it (Dino & Semi syn), I think it should be OK, right?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've been told that sticking with old engine oils is a dumb move too (back when I used to lurk in Bobistheoilguy couple of years ago) instead of looking in newer oils, but now I'm inclined to trusting what's approved in the time of production better, that I'm told in a specialized MB place that diesel+gas combo oils don't provide what diesel only oils provide, I got one question mark cleared off of my head. Good call. Dino 229.1 20W50 is everywhere around here and unfortunately dino 15W40 with 229.1 MB approval are completely gone after Mobile Super 15W40 stopped locally (locally branded Mobil XHP). That same brand provides the 20W50 above.

Any idea if dino 20W50 provides that zinc additive like or relative to 15W40's, let's say with both of the same approval sheet?

I go to BITOG too and I was going to put M1 or Castrol 0W-40 in my M104.992 engine to simplify my oil selection with another car that required it. They were overwhelmingly for it.

I filled up with Shell Rotela 5W-40 to prep the engine for the 0W. Engine doesn't like it. I get ticking noises at cold starts. Didn't get that with the previous fill of Chevron Delo 15W-40.

I'm going with 20W-50 next OCI since it doesn't get lower than 55F where I live. That was what the dealer put in when car was new in the service book. If that was what this engine has been getting since then, the valvetrain looks clean and varnish free for the last 230k miles. Why mess with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
These days it gets over 110F here :)

I'm planning to go back to dino 20W50 too. It's only 500km to the next change and I drive a lot it will just take like three days for that. It is summer time for us here now. Guess I'll just use semi-synth 10W40 every once in a while to clean up engine parts, and hopefully I find diesel grades. I get the lifters' noise sometimes (cold starts only) too and on all kinds of oils, but once I hear the sound I turn the engine off then on and it's gone.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
25 Participants
smart_guy
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing