Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 190.

I went to change the oil filter with one purchased from a BENZ agent - A 102 184 01 01 only to find that the one fitted is - A 102 184 05 01.

They have the same dia but the 01 01 filter is much higher.

Is there a difference?
Am I safe to mount the 05 01 filter?

A 102 184 05 01 - fitted filter
A 102 184 01 01 - new filter supplied by Benz agent

Any ideas

RJB

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
not if it's a different size

if it's not the same size, I'd be weary. No point putting in a filter if the oil can bypass it. Should be exactly the same dimensions. I'd be tempted to take it back and get it exchanged.

· Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
687 Posts
They've changed the design

I was annoyed to find that recently the M102/M103 OEM filter design has changed to the smaller one. My inquiries revealed that the old one is no longer available. The main problem for me is that my oil filter socket won't fit the new one. I was also buying the old ones cheaper than after-market filters. This is not the case with the new ones. Guess I'll be buying non-genuine filters for my 190E and 300TE now.

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
aftermarket

just go aftermarket. Most of the general auto stockists over here stock an alternative to the genuine mercedes filter.

Hmmmm call me thick but what is the difference between a performance oil filter and a standard oil filter (other than the price)...its beyond me how a different filter can enhance ur performance. the oil flows about the motor lubricating the parts...what difference does it make what sort of filter it pases thru? To me the genuine merc filter is wat was designed for the car so thats wats best.... Any one wanna have a debate with me [8D] hehehe

cheers
josh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.