Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil Filter Removal Makes Mess

814 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  sbaert
My 1987 Mercedes Benz 260E W124 has oil filter toward back of M103 engine and is upside down. When changing the oil filter: oil flows out on engine making mess. Would the oil in filter be removed if I started car for few seconds after draining oil?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,251 Posts
Pretty much a bad idea to run engines with no oil. Instead loosen the filter a couple of turns and let the oil drain while you are draining the pan. Then go back and finish removing the filter.

· Registered
1982 300D, 1991 300SE
25 Posts
Yeah don't run the engine dry for any length of time. What brand of filter are you using? If you're not using a Bosch or MANN (W719/13) filter you might not have the proper anti drainback valve that prevents this from happening. I've never spilled a drop using the aforementioned filters.

· Registered
1989 W124 260E
7,990 Posts
Winfred After owning my 260 E M103 for 12 years .I can honestly say i have never had any oil drip out of a removed oil filter in all the oil services i have done . Oil filter [ spin off ] do hold oil, but you can remove the filter at any time and no oil will escape ,,inside is a valve to stop this ,,some filters have 2 . Drain off engine oil first,, then remove the filter / Put some oil in new filter as well as oil on the ribber seal and then lock it up HAND TIGHT only

· Registered
1987 Mercedes Benz W124 260E
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty much a bad idea to run engines with no oil. Instead loosen the filter a couple of turns and let the oil drain while you are draining the pan. Then go back and finish removing the filter.
Thank You, The MERCEDES-BENZ E-Class Owner's Bible 1986-1995 states Run engine for a few minutes to warm oil. Then working at rear of engine, unscrew spin-on oil filter approximately one-quarter turn to drain oil from filter. After this unscrew filter completely and discard. { When I loosen oil filter it flows out over the engine} Lightly lubricate gasket on new filter. Screw on new filter until it contacts mounting flange and then tighten one-fourth turn (90 degrees). Now it states to drain old oil from engine.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You, The MERCEDES-BENZ E-Class Owner's Bible 1986-1995 says that because oil filter is installed upside down, a spring-loaded check valve prevents the oil from draining down into the oil sump when the engine is off. It also keeps oil in filter during an oil change and allows for immediate filtered oil circulation upon start-up. The K&N HP-2005 oil filter that was used must not have check valve.

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,652 Posts
Yeah, don't use worthless tuner crap like K&N.

For these cars, when it comes to filters you either use Mann, Hengst, or Knecht (Mahle) and nothing else. Or better yet, get original MB filters.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You, The MERCEDES-BENZ E-Class Owner's Bible 1986-1995 says that because oil filter is installed upside down, a spring-loaded check valve prevents the oil from draining down into the oil sump when the engine is off. It also keeps oil in filter during an oil change and allows for immediate filtered oil circulation upon start-up. The K&N HP-2005 oil filter that was used must not have check valve.
My mistake, it was a Mobil 1 oil filter and didn't have check valve.

· Registered
300te 4Matic, 1992, 225,000 miles. W447 Vito Sport Long 116cdi, 2018, 70,000 miles.
558 Posts
I rest my case. A more expensive (no doubt) "fake filter" was incorrect!!
Why risk your whole engine using non Mercedes filters...?

· Registered
19,652 Posts
I rest my case. A more expensive (no doubt) "fake filter" was incorrect!!
Why risk your whole engine using non Mercedes filters...?

I'm gonna take a gamble here by guessing "That's what the guys at Autozone recommended" :unsure:

Brick and mortar stores only have 1 MB compatible part in stock at all times. Windshield washer fluid.

There is a time and a place to be frugal. Fluids and filters is the last place to step over dollars to pick up pennies.

· Registered
300te 4Matic, 1992, 225,000 miles. W447 Vito Sport Long 116cdi, 2018, 70,000 miles.
558 Posts
Would probably be better if we ALL bought genuine MB parts for our W124s whenever possible.
Mercedes will then see a demand and maybe possible profit and keep producing spares for them for longer...!?

· Registered
19,652 Posts
Would probably be better if we ALL bought genuine MB parts for our W124s whenever possible.
Mercedes will then see a demand and maybe possible profit and keep producing spares for them for longer...!?
That's what I've been saying for years, but the message seems to fall on deaf ears around here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts