Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 CD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing gasket between oil filter housing and engine block and have a couple of questions.
1- I can not find a gasket locally and made one out of gasket material. I am concerned the material may be too soft. The one that came off is hard and not sure if it is from age or if it should be a hard gasket material. Will the soft material be okay to use?

2- When I was washing out the inside of the housing in the parts washer a rubber seal fell out (from inside). It looks exactly like the large lower seal on the oil filter. Does this seal belong inside somewhere or is it an old seal from a past filter? I have looked on engine prints and can't tell.

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
I wouldn't recommend those old thick gaskets on the oil filter housing as it will leak. The correct gasket can be had at a dealer or an online parts supplier for very few dollars.

The rubber o-ring that you found is probably left over from many oil changes ago.

·
Registered
1983 300 CD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a 617 and that is the gasket. I will wait till tomorrow and take a 60 mile drive to the dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
1983 300 CD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the advice! Got it back together and no more leaks. BTW, (for us rookie do-it-yourselfers) that is a special hard-reinforced gasket .

1983 300CD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts