Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: I bought my step-fathers 2000 E320 from his estate for short money after he passed away. The car had ~100K miles and recently had two new front cats, four new O2 sensors, and a coil replaced. He bought the car as a certified used car and was serviced by my step-father who had previously been a long time diesel Mercedes owner. I know that he had used Mobil 1 (not sure if he used 0W40) and changed it ~10k or by the service indicator.

I have since changed the trans filter, drained & filled the trans as well as the rear diff. I have also changed the coolant. I had finally found the required 8.5 quarts of the Mobil 1 0W40 along with a fleece filter in order to change the oil this weekend. I was hoping to find a fleece filter in the engine but was worried that I'd find a paper filter instead. To my dismay not only did I find a paper FRAM filter but it looked like this:

It took me a little while to figure out what happened but it looks like the last filter top ended up sticking to the filter assembly. When he installed the new filter and seated it the new filter was crushed, twisted and torn. I'm hoping that this was since the last oil change and not several oil changes ago. It now has a new fleece oil filter and is filled with Mobil 1 0W40. What if anything do you recommend? Should I change the filter sooner than normal or should I change both the oil & filter?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
What is done, is done. Since you changed the oil and put new filter you did what you could.
To be on safe side, I would put new filter after 2-3 k miles since oil drain leaves 10-20% of old, contaminated oil in the engine cavities, but even that I would consider overdoing.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
it doesn't look too alarming to me. he was suppose to use fleece. the paper is starting to fall apart. probably in there for way too long. just change it to fleece and new oil, you will be set.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
if you just have to be sure then remove any doubt and pay for the certainty.
replace filter and fluid.

if you trust your step-father with his @10k/FSS changes and this just happened
to be the anomaly, then just replace the filter. let FSS do it's thang...and just
wait until the next cycle to drain/replace oil.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
There is a online sale of 0W-40 Mobil1 at Advance Auto right now for $3.99 a quart (you see the price in the check out cart) which expires Monday.

Not that far for you to order and pickup at Lowell, whether or not your next oil change is sooner or later, that saves you like $30-$35.

For filters, I use autohausaz.com to to stock up on Mann flecce oil filters, and Mann air filters (wonder what that looks like in your car), once you hit $50 the UPS Ground shipping is free.

Check your tranny connector plug if you haven't already (there was a updated replacement part less than $20) and check your belt tensioner (there was a updated part there too) like $100 while you are going thru your new car.

Take the old headlight lense coating off with EZ Off on a rag to avoid getting any on the paint, wipe the residue off with a damp rag, then get those lenses polished at Walmart for $35.

Other than that advice, you will be smooth sailing.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Oh, and pick up a fresh OE brake light switch on your oder (like $15 online from autohausaz.com) and throw that in the boot as a spare.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
My condolences on your loss. As others have noted, what's done is done.

If you remain concerned, at your next oil change you might drain the oil, drop the lower pan and see if there are any bits of the old one in there, but to me even that would seem a bit extreme. Drive and enjoy should be the order of the day.

Take care,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably change it again if a few thousand miles. Thanks for the Mobil 1 sale info, I'll have to order some today. I have a whole bunch of things I'll be ordering from autohausaz so I'll add the brake switch to the list (lug bolts, motor mounts, oil & air filters).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts