Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ML350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new on this part, so I have to ask.
I have tried a couple of oil filter wrenches to remove the oil filer cap (2007 ML350), but it seems like the cap has been over tightened by the dealer.
I don't have a service manual/DVD, so I am in doubt about my knowledge about the cap thread direction.
I assume the unscrew direction is counter-clockwise, but I don't trust myself on this one. I don't want to damage the cap.
Someone please clarify for me on this one.
Thanks much in advance

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
Correct, counter clockwise. Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey Mine was a bitch to remove also, I ended up using a regular band type wrench and a lot of brute force.

·
Registered
ML350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for the clarification.
I will stop by Pepboys today to see whether they have a right wrench for the oil filter cap. Someone has mentioned the type C oil cap, but I have no idea what's C meant.

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts

·
Registered
ML350
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much guys!
I was finally able to remove the cap with a tip form this forum: adding a strip of sandpaper to my loose oil filter cap wrench. The oil filter cap came right off. The rest was a piece of cake.
I am really happy.
I will start another thread for the front brake replacement.
Please chime in when you see it.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
08 ML350; 07 RDX; 05 Murano; 02 Rodeo
211 Posts
and there is a paint mark, blue color I guess, on the top of the filter cap. When you tighten the cap, it should end up toward the cabin, that's the stop point.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
25 nm is plainly marked on my oil filter cap. That is not very much torque, about 18 ft-lbs. Plus there is nothing about how tight you screw this in that makes it seal better. The seal is formed by the o-ring which goes in the cylinder and is not compressed by the thread torque.

In other words, this oil filter cap should be torqued only until its flange bottoms. Essentially finger tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts