Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new W116 1980 300SD owner. I have years of experience working on American muscle cars but have never touched a diesel mercedes.

Today I want to change my oil and oil filter. Anything I need to know about this process? What type or oil filter do I need and what type of oil?

Thanks
JW

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1987 300SDL, 1973 280SEL, 1995 C280
137 Posts
Many brands of good diesel rated oil are available. The Shell Rotella T line is popular among diesel heads and is available in various flavors from Dino to Full Synthetic.

Seems like all the manufacturers have different P/N's for the oil filters but I think the Mann number is 1055. They can be ordered online from any number of vendors or purchased locally from NAPA or other auto parts stores. I've run across oil and air filters at Auto Zone from time to time.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
There are any number of good sources online to order oil filters, air filters, etc. I have had good luck with Euro Parts Direct. They ship quickly and most of time I have the parts in two days. Parts are shipped from PA if memory serves me correct.

The engine in yours will last many miles if you change the oil and filter at 5000 miles intervals or sooner, the fuel filters 10K and the air filter. Another important job is the valve adjustment at 15K miles. Transmission filter and fluid is another important service that done religiously at 30K miles will add miles to the transmission. I had a 85 300D with over 300K miles and the transmission shifted perfectly.

·
Registered
1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
303 Posts
I own a 1979 300SD (w116) and have been using Chevron Delo 15-40 for the last 10 years. I purchase the oil at Costco in 2x 1 gallon boxes. Great oil. I would not use anything outside of Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo. There are a number of online Mercedes parts retailers and most seem to be in the same range. You will also notice that you might find a cheaper oil filter with one retailer who then has a more expensive air filter than the other. Most offer no shipping with a minimum amount(50.00, 75.00) ordered. If you are adjusting the valves make sure you do it right. Enjoy your car and read the posts on this video. Valve adjustments can sometimes be bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts