Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found my oil cap is leaking. Not much, but enough so that there is a line of oil residue after running, on the side of the valve cover. It used to leak enough so that the oil dripped onto the exhaust manifold, which reeks, but a 'new' one from the junkyard slowed the leak. Didn't fix it, just made it about 75% better. Ironically, it didn't become noticable until I was actually driving to the yard...

So, is there a replacement gasket one can get or does it require replacment of the entire cap. I ask, as I really dislike getting an entire piece when I can fix just the broken/worn part. I don't like to be wasteful, which is one reason I like this car so much. You can replace just one specific small piece of a larger assembly, unlike most, if not all, newer cars.

If I need the entire thing, so it goes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've found my oil cap is leaking. Not much, but enough so that there is a line of oil residue after running, on the side of the valve cover. It used to leak enough so that the oil dripped onto the exhaust manifold, which reeks, but a 'new' one from the junkyard slowed the leak. Didn't fix it, just made it about 75% better. Ironically, it didn't become noticable until I was actually driving to the yard...

So, is there a replacement gasket one can get or does it require replacment of the entire cap. I ask, as I really dislike getting an entire piece when I can fix just the broken/worn part. I don't like to be wasteful, which is one reason I like this car so much. You can replace just one specific small piece of a larger assembly, unlike most, if not all, newer cars.

If I need the entire thing, so it goes.

Thanks!
Yes, the gasket can be bought alone. Part # seems to be 1110180080. Also it seems to fit many mercedes engines.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Do you have the older metal cap, or the newer black cap? They use different gaskets with different part numbers.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,255 Posts
I had the same problem, and wound up buying a new black plastic cap for under five bucks 'from the dealership.'

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the older metal cap, or the newer black cap? They use different gaskets with different part numbers.
Old metal one. I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible, so....

Hey, it's closing in on 'classic car' status in a hurry, here.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That's very interesting.
Since I have the metal cap and try to keep mine as original as possible I was wondering about a way to fix the metal cap.
Does one use a small screwdriver to get the old gasket out?

gr J

·
Registered
146 Posts
I found mine leaking today too. It is a cheapo from a parts store. My valve cover is falling to pieces, the paint is flaking off, and bits of paint got stuck in the channel where the cap goes, so I cleaned all that off and re-fitted the cap.

Makes me wonder why Mercedes never threaded the cap to prevent this problem from happening in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts