Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
I made a contraption today that pulled 6 liters from my new SL in20 min!

Is anyone interested in this kind of topic?
Yup.

The only problem is that you still need to get under the car for the filter.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
Yup.

Exactly....

I have one I bought from Harbor Freight for the 129, which has the filter accessible from the top. I've not used it on the 107 for the reason you mention.

IIRC it was around $80 after discounts.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Yup.

This is true. But I cheat a bit. Because I only do about 1500 miles per season, I only change the filter every other year. In between years, I extract the oil from above using a Mity Vac extractor. Works well.

One thing that is apparently different about our old SLs, is that the dipstick tube doesn't reach all the way to bottom of pan. At the dealersip, they use the dipstick tube to extract the oil on more recent cars. But on an old SL, even they would drain from pan. Not that I have had them do it!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
I have to agree with MBGraham.

No method of removing the old, contaminated oil from an R107 is 100% (short of an overhaul), but I'm convinced the drain plug route is the most efficient. (But that's without benefit of seeing your invention, so I'll keep an open mind.)

But whatever the method, removal should be done (carefully) with the old oil hot, so that the most solid contaminants are still in suspension. And if draining is the method used, the hot, thin oil will exit more quickly and help sweep out as much of the heaviest, settled debris in the sump as is possible short of removing the oil pan.

Good road,

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,348 Posts
There is a way to drain the oil without pulling the plug?:eek::confused::confused::D

·
Registered
1989 560SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_0653.JPG

Bucket was obtained from wings and more, used to contain ranch dressing
Two 1" holes punched caddy-corner
Two 1" washers for top and bottom
1/2"-3/4" pvc coupling, enters from bottom
3/4" threaded female x 3/4" female non-threaded coupling, screw from topside
4"- 3/4" heater hose, inserted into the coupling above
rubber stopper drilled hole for irrigation hose
4'-6" 1/2" irrigation hose, inserted thru stopper one one end and into dipstick hole on other end

I slide the nozzle of my Kirby vacumm over the heater hose

This contraption extracted about .3 liters per minute.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
View attachment 462720

4'-6" 1/2" irrigation hose, inserted thru stopper one one end and into dipstick hole on other end

I had considered fabricating an extraction device but couldn't figure a simple way to keep from contaminating the vacuum (pump or cleaner) with the used oil.

Using one of the pressure type vacuum pumps would work ok but then that would be exactly what I got from HF.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,348 Posts
Don't worry, Jim. AFAIK no one is planning on pulling the plug on you any time soon. :D
So that is why you have guys have been writing to the successor trustee with my medical power of attorney. You thought I didn't know. ;)

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
So that is why you have guys have been writing to the successor trustee with my medical power of attorney. You thought I didn't know. ;)
You shouldn't have said "over my dead body" was the only way I'd get your AMG... :big laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts

Interesting device. But what is caddy corner - Is that something like kitty-corner? ;)

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
Interesting device. But what is caddy corner - Is that something like kitty-corner? ;)
The word is "catercorner" or "catercornered." The "cater" is an Anglicization of the French "quatre," or "four," and "catercornered" originally just meant "four-cornered." To specify that something is "catercorner across" from something else is to stress the diagonal axis of an imaginary box, as opposed to saying "directly across" or just "across."

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
The word is "catercorner" or "catercornered." The "cater" is an Anglicization of the French "quatre," or "four," and "catercornered" originally just meant "four-cornered." To specify that something is "catercorner across" from something else is to stress the diagonal axis of an imaginary box, as opposed to saying "directly across" or just "across."
Thats sort of what the wiki link said. They did say catty-corner was a synonym, so tomjak was close :)

·
Registered
1989 560SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My bad

caddy-corner

CADDY-CORNER

CATTY-CORNER, CATER-CORNER, KITTY-CORNER

This expression, meaning “diagonally opposite,” was formed from a misspelling in English of the French word quatre (“four”) prefixed to “corner.” Although the word has nothing to do with cats or kittens, in various dialects all three spellings are acceptable: “catty,” “cater” or “kitty.”

But unless you have somebody holding your golf clubs permanently stationed in the corner of your room, you shouldn’t use the spelling “caddy corner.”
:surrender:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts