Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon has oil and fluid extraction device that is well reviewed.
Wondering if subscribers to this group has any real world experience with this unit:

Plan to use it for suction oil change, power steering fluid, even brake fluid changes.
Seems there is no need to use compressor as pump is more than adequate from reviews.

Would assume hose connection occurs above dipstick? Would not want nylon tube to get lost in engine if it came apart...

Anyone?

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 215k miles
9,066 Posts
It says you need a tube through the dipstick pipe.

"💎【No Oil Left】--With 4 sizes of tubes which can go into the bottom of oil pan"

I use a $20 pump that works with 12V and the suction tube goes all the way down into the tube. No problems so far. The nylon suction hose got a bit hard over using it e many times. At some point I will replace it.

·
W210 Section Moderator
9,066 Posts
I have this one. Other model and designs are also available.

I insert the thin suction hose into the dipstick hole all the way in. The exhaust pipe (thicker) end goes into an empty 5 gallon oil jug I happen to haver around. When close to full, I turn it off and get the second jug. You can empty it into a bigger jug too if you do not want to wait in front of it to switch over the jugs.

I connect it to a 12V booster pack but you can also connect the 12V and ground leads to the under the hood charge points.

After use, I plug the ends of each hose to prevent spillage during storage for the next oil change. So far I used it for the E320 only. I will try it on my other cars.

·
Registered
1998 e430
507 Posts
i've been using one of these for years;

barely enough capacity for the engine oil on my e430 but, it will drain the oil while i replace the filter. i used sturdier tubing as some tends to collapse under vacuum with hot oil.

mrboca's has us both beat on price though!

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 1988 928 Porsche S4, 2001 BMW X5
211 Posts
Amazon has oil and fluid extraction device that is well reviewed.
Wondering if subscribers to this group has any real world experience with this unit:

Plan to use it for suction oil change, power steering fluid, even brake fluid changes.
Seems there is no need to use compressor as pump is more than adequate from reviews.

Would assume hose connection occurs above dipstick? Would not want nylon tube to get lost in engine if it came apart...

Anyone?
I use the Mityvac 7201. Holds enough for full oil evacuation on my E430. Suck it out, pour in fresh oil, then reverse the valve on Mityvac, and pump old oil into empty oil containers. No spill, no pouring at all. Also use for brake fluid change and power steering fluid change. Can be used to suck old trans fluid out if you dont plan to replace filter. Has made my life a lot easier in taking care of the Merc!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have this one. Other model and designs are also available.

I insert the thin suction hose into the dipstick hole all the way in. The exhaust pipe (thicker) end goes into an empty 5 gallon oil jug I happen to haver around. When close to full, I turn it off and get the second jug. You can empty it into a bigger jug too if you do not want to wait in front of it to switch over the jugs.

I connect it to a 12V booster pack but you can also connect the 12V and ground leads to the under the hood charge points.

After use, I plug the ends of each hose to prevent spillage during storage for the next oil change. So far I used it for the E320 only. I will try it on my other cars.
very smart solution, inexpensive, wanting only two gallon size containers for convenient recycle
might you know size and length of the proper nylon tubes? about how long does it take?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the Mityvac 7201. Holds enough for full oil evacuation on my E430. Suck it out, pour in fresh oil, then reverse the valve on Mityvac, and pump old oil into empty oil containers. No spill, no pouring at all. Also use for brake fluid change and power steering fluid change. Can be used to suck old trans fluid out if you dont plan to replace filter. Has made my life a lot easier in taking care of the Merc!!
Very convenient design, thanks. I also have E430, So every 10K, using Mobil One Euro formula 0W40 with Mann syn filter, tired of doing it the drainplug way

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've been using one of these for years;

barely enough capacity for the engine oil on my e430 but, it will drain the oil while i replace the filter. i used sturdier tubing as some tends to collapse under vacuum with hot oil.

mrboca's has us both beat on price though!
that one has several advantages and cheap enough
might you know the size and length of best nylon tube replacement?

·
Registered
1998 e430
507 Posts
could check later at home but, from my memory and eyeballs, something about the diameter of a basic bic pen (just small enough to fit into the dipstick tube).

i used a bit of fuel line to mate the relatively stiff nylon tube to the metal nipple on the cap.

cut the end of the tube going down the dipstick at an angle so it doesn't suction onto the bottom of the oil pan.

·
W210 Section Moderator
9,066 Posts
very smart solution, inexpensive, wanting only two gallon size containers for convenient recycle
might you know size and length of the proper nylon tubes? about how long does it take?
takes about 10 to 12 minutes, just long enough for me to remove the old filter and the o rings, clean the holder and install the new filter and the o rings, and dispose of the old filter and the o rings in a plastic bag.
  • Motor Oil Pump Rate (100° - 125°F): Approx. 0.8 gal./min.
  • Diesel Pump Rate: Approx. 1.1 gal./min.
  • Easily removes oil from cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and much more
  • Self-priming 12v 5 amp DC pump
  • Approximate speed of 1400 RPM
    Includes:
  • Pump
  • Hose clamps
  • 47" x 0.16" Dia. inlet hose
  • 59" x 0.47" Dia. outlet hose

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
takes about 10 to 12 minutes, just long enough for me to remove the old filter and the o rings, clean the holder and install the new filter and the o rings, and dispose of the old filter and the o rings in a plastic bag.
    Includes:
  • Pump
  • Hose clamps
thanks for the details, what a great innovation, and fast
have managed no spill oil changes some time ago but this is huge improvement, and cheap

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
    Includes:
  • Pump
  • Hose clamps
found it on Amazon even cheaper

do you set it on the engine cover ?, seems tube would have to be longer to set it on the ground

·
W210 Section Moderator
9,066 Posts
No, the engine cover needs to be out for filter removal / install, and good access to the oil fill tube. I put it on the plate above the radiator. You can put a small tray between the engine and the front plate and put it on the tray if you want.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your expertise!
I think my oil filter is accessible without removing the cover (01 E430)

I doubt if running off battery for less than 15 mins would be be enough to drain it,
but not sure.

·
W210 Section Moderator
9,066 Posts
You can remove the oil filter holder with the cover on, but it would be messy with possible drips on it. Plus, I wipe inside of the oil filter receptacle clean with a no-lint cloth before i install the holder with the new o rings and the filter. Without cover, gives much better access.

The unit takes 60 watts, or 5 amperes on a 12V battery. for 15 minutes, it is 1.25 ampere-hours. This definitely does not cause an issue with a good battery with 100 ampere-hour capacity :).

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,661 Posts
I bought your recommended extraction pump, going to try that on my 335d. 9 quarts of oil, especially diesel oil, gets messy and I'm tired of fiddling under the car.

Going to try it out and see how it is....

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,432 Posts
I might try that too. Just did my SL with my old Topsider, which I have had 20 years. The company has been sold to another and I was trying to get a replacement suction hose, which has partially collapsed. And the company doesn't respond.

Making removal of the oil take over an hour.

I could still use the can as the container.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,432 Posts
that one has several advantages and cheap enough
might you know the size and length of best nylon tube replacement?
If you find out let me know. My tube is crimped at the cap. I'm about to give up on it. And Air America doesn't own it any more.

·
Registered
1999 E 320, 2001 S 430
122 Posts
found it on Amazon even cheaper

do you set it on the engine cover ?, seems tube would have to be longer to set it on the ground
I had one of those. It was absolute crap, and I should have known better because the reviews said it was crap. Worked great twice. Third time the seal at the motor failed and oil flooded the pump and leaked out everywhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts