Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil exceeds max warning....i get this everytime i get an oil change with 8.5 qrts..is that too much.

oil...that's what the owners manual says...<p>gateway9.ey.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: oil exceeds max warning....i get this everytime i get an oil change with 8.5 qrts..is that ....

During a oil change some oil may be staying in the crankcase and not draining. Have them add 8 qts next time, check level and add more as needed. This is what Mercedes recommends as well. Never add 8.5qts at first.<p>vpop5-110.pacificnet.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: oil exceeds max warning....i get this everytime i get an oil change with 8.5 qrts..is that ....

*_BE SURE_* to drain the excess oil when the engine is overfilled. Overfilling causes the oil to foam and drastically reduces protection. Serious stuff. Go to a marine (boating) store, get a Topsider pump (used for removing oil from marine (boat) engines by way of a tube into the dipstick (they have both smaller hand pumps and larger tank types). Slip the tube into the dipstick shaft until it reaches the oil pan and pull out some oil. Many MB dealers use this method of removing old oil -- through the dipstick -- and they claim it is as effective as oil pan draining. All I know is that both my ML430 and CLK430 have had similar warnings about high oil levels, and I wanted the hand pump around to pull some out before engine damage was done. <p>idsl180.sttl.uswest.net

1 - 3 of 3 Posts