Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Unimog U1300L (diesel)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There,

New owner to a Unimog U1300L (non turbo, chassis # Starts with 435115 10 xxxxxx, OM353 engine I believe) and I am hoping someone can answer a couple of questions regarding the engine oil dipstick.

1) Top portion of Dipstick, This rivet job looks like a repair to me, my operating instruction manual does not have a complete image so I just don't know?
2) Bottom of dipstick has no markings at all, after the twist there is an indentation which I could assume is where my oil should be?

my overall concern is that I maintain a correct oil level but this dipstick kind of leaves me wanting. Would appreciate some feedback from people in the know.

P.S. the two rivets make this horrible pivot point that makes it a pain in the ass to re-seat the dipstick and makes me wonder if the end even sits in a correct position to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
OK, a photo would be easier, but I can’t get it done .
So, I will try to explain what the data book shows on pages 294-295.

1. Your dipstick, from what I can see, is a Type A. If it has a clamp on top that locks the spring in the tube, as it seems, then this dipstick is for a 616 diesel, not a 352 (353.xxx).
The distance for this dipstick from the tip to the top of the round cap that seats on the tube is 657mm..
If your dipstick has this measurement, it is not correct for your engine. Even if it doesn’t, the book says that is the wrong one.

2. The correct type for your engine is either
a type C, or a Type D. Your serial number dictates the type, as well as the length of the dipstick, and the measurements of where the High and low marks are, etc.
There are 5 different sets of specifications for the dipstick for the non-turbo engine,
And another 5 for the turbo .

Here are the engine number choices.
If you pick yours out of the list and tell me the number , I can give you the specs for the correct dipstick. Then at least you can compare it to the one you have, and maybe make a punch mark or a notch with a file to cover you until you get the correct dipstick.

The engine numbers for the non/turbo:

353.940. (All type C)
___

353.949 (Type D)
___

353.962. (Type D)

__

353.985. (Type D)

___
353.999. (Type C)

Now, it isn’t as simple as you have a type D,
So here is the measurement. Each dipstick between the horizontal lines above has different dimensions than any of the others.

So, if you have an engine number , I will tell you the dimensions.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Also, the type A, as you’d looks to be, does have a two rivet set up where yours is, but it is not the same.
Yours looks like 3 pieces: the top shaft / handle, the ‘link’ with the two rivets, and the bottom shaft to the top.

The original is just two pieces of shaft, with no ‘link’. The top shaft overlaps the bottom shaft, and they are riveted together into a solid dipstick.

Yours was probably broken and patched back together.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
It Could be that somebody tried to make a correct dipstick out of an incorrect one.

Once The engine number is determined,
You’ll have the dimensions and will be able to tell if your dipstick is in the ballpark, or off of the map.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, a photo would be easier, but I can’t get it done .
So, I will try to explain what the data book shows on pages 294-295.

1. Your dipstick, from what I can see, is a Type A. If it has a clamp on top that locks the spring in the tube, as it seems, then this dipstick is for a 616 diesel, not a 352 (353.xxx).
The distance for this dipstick from the tip to the top of the round cap that seats on the tube is 657mm..
If your dipstick has this measurement, it is not correct for your engine. Even if it doesn’t, the book says that is the wrong one.

2. The correct type for your engine is either
a type C, or a Type D. Your serial number dictates the type, as well as the length of the dipstick, and the measurements of where the High and low marks are, etc.
There are 5 different sets of specifications for the dipstick for the non-turbo engine,
And another 5 for the turbo .

Here are the engine number choices.
If you pick yours out of the list and tell me the number , I can give you the specs for the correct dipstick. Then at least you can compare it to the one you have, and maybe make a punch mark or a notch with a file to cover you until you get the correct dipstick.

The engine numbers for the non/turbo:

353.940. (All type C)
___

353.949 (Type D)
___

353.962. (Type D)

__

353.985. (Type D)

___
353.999. (Type C)

Now, it isn’t as simple as you have a type D,
So here is the measurement. Each dipstick between the horizontal lines above has different dimensions than any of the others.

So, if you have an engine number , I will tell you the dimensions.

Here is an image of the top of the dipstick which looks like the clamping variant you mentioned.
Regarding the engine identification 352/353 Where on the engine could I find some identification marks to make a definitive identification. Some research tells me I should find a number on the left hand side of the block but it is a tight fit and dirty and not 100% sure where to land mark to find it.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
The engine number is ‘usually’ stamped onto an aluminum tag that is on the passenger side of the block, Sorta low, to the rear of the injection pump.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Yes, that is a Type A dipstick.
The aluminum tag is there on the right side of the block, as viewed from the driver’s seat
If you are lucky. ( same side as the dipstick tube)

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Photos working again.
Shown - Types C& D, and the dimensions on the table, relating to the engine number.
Baggage Paint Painting Still life photography Still life

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Text White Line Font Black
Type A for reference- the dimensions for this one are at the top of the first data page -
616 engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 2664739 Type A for reference- the dimensions for this one are at the top of the first data page -
616 engine.
Note the OM352 on top,
And then below it is the specific engine number that you are after. View attachment 2664735
Note the OM352 on top,
And then below it is the specific engine number that you are after. View attachment 2664735

Ok crawling underneath and in the wheel well and then by sure accident I found this on top of the engine, looks like it is a match for an engine ident.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Yep, that is it. Good find.
They can be anywhere.
So, your proper dipstick is a Type D,
And

L1. = 824mm
L2 = 799mm
L3 = 28mm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh lol, had I read your post while I was outside could have save myself some time. TRUKTOR I really appreciate your time and resources. For my future reference, when I am talking about my engine what number should I quote.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
If it were me, I’d draw the Type D dipstick out, full size on a piece of paper or something. Then you could lay your type A against the drawing ( it could be a single line with hash marks at the L1,2 & 3 dimensions) and readily see what is what . Some times fumbling with a tape against something like a dipstick, especially a hinged Frankenstein version can be a pain.
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh lol, had I read your post while I was outside could have save myself some time. TRUKTOR I really appreciate your time and resources. For my future reference, when I am talking about my engine what number should I quote.
Oh an apologies, it is
If it were me, I’d draw the Type D dipstick out, full size on a piece of paper or something. Then you could lay your type A against the drawing ( it could be a single line with hash marks at the L1,2 & 3 dimensions) and readily see what is what . Some times fumbling with a tape against something like a dipstick, especially a hinged Frankenstein version can be a pain.
Good luck.
TRUKTOR thanks (tip of the hat to you sir) one last question, pretending for the moment my dipstick is fine, is the oil level to sit anywhere in that indent?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Well, it is a OM352.
( the Turbo is the OM352A, the inter-cooled Turbo is the OM352LA)
But when ordering parts for it, or to determine the specifications of the engine (like horsepower, etc.), then the 353.961-10
Number comes into play.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts