Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My friend has a 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300D with OM602 engine, and now one of the hoses that go to the oil cooler started to leak right at the crimped connection (see photos below). My friend tried using FlexTape to fix it, but to no avail (that is a problem for another day).
In actuality, there are two problems with it now - how to take the hose off, and what should we do with it afterwards.

The problem is that the nut that holds the hose to the cooler doesn't even budge, it seems like it just got rust-welded to the cooler. If I understand correctly, there is basically a nut on top of the hose that should spin freely on the hose, but it doesn't seem like it is going anywhere soon.. I didn't want to go really hard on it, since I've seen threaded flanges snapping clearly off of the cooler, and I didn't want to use a torch either, for obvious reasons.
As of right now, I have several ideas - try pouring all kinds of penetrating fluids on it and hope for the best, or just cut the metal portion in half near the flange and try to unscrew what remains of the hose as a regular nut. Have anyone encountered something like that? Any ideas on how to take that hose off?

The other issue is half-way solved - I haven't found any hoses for sale, so I figured to go visit a hydraulics shop, and they are willing to repair the existing hose. Even if we will end-up cutting the hose, people at the shop told us that they will replace the whole metal portion, so it should not affect the project that much. That said, I am not sure if it is a wise idea to fix the hose instead of anything else, so now I wonder if there are any alternatives to that..

I mostly work on Toyotas, I am not that familiar with Mercedeses, so any advice will be much appreciated! Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
767 Posts
Chances are the second hose will be leaking soon so cut them and work with the cooler on the bench to loosen the nuts.
I have success with plumbers self cleaning flux and heat and patience or these applications.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
2 approaches on tackling this job, both require assembly removal as mentioned in the post above and both will require purchase of new hoses.

Plan A. Heat up the nut with a torch or induction coil. Only focus the torch on the nut to avoid damaging aluminum (cooler). With the scorching nut there will be a lot of smoke and smell but this indicates time to put a spanner on the nut and try loosening it.

Plan B. If above fails, with the cooler gently strapped in a vice use a grinder to cut 2 relief cuts into the nut. Only go as deep as needed and quit before reaching the threads on the cooler. Apply a touch of heat and it should come off

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello again,

Sorry for such a delayed response, it was a mess of the project, and mostly not because of the car.

So, we started off with using a torch to try and unscrew the hose, which did not work at all. After that fail, we got a reciprocating saw and cut the hose off, and even after that, the remains weren't going to go anywhere, neither with the breaker bar, nor with the impact drive..

20200710_165736.jpg

Since the owner got tired of this whole project a while ago, we figured to toss the oil cooler and just loop the hoses. Granted, it is not the best decision, but we just needed to make it work.. With both hoses cut, we removed the radiator and went to the hose repair shop, and that is where the tricky bit begins.. The shop we initially visited, while initially agreeing to do the repair, refused to do anything, since "they do not work on cars" (they said that with my friend holding the hose in his hands, not even close to the car in question), so he just turned around and left. The second shop he visited has a classic car restoration facility, or something like that, but they said that they don't have the right equipment to work on stuff like that, and suggested him to visit NAPA store. He went to NAPA, and the salesman there said that they will be more than happy to fix it for $70, so he agreed. Once the repair was done, he called me to install it, but when I saw it, I've got some questions to ask..

This was the condition in which we got the hose back. It took the guy from NAPA one day and $70 to give it to us in that condition... After I saw that, we went to the same NAPA store and asked what in the world is that.. For that, the guy who did the repair responded as "it is a part of an American Yankee ingenuity - make it work in any way possible". On my claim that I wasn't looking to "make it work", I was looking for a proper repair, he said that he has 50 years of experience, and he knows better than I do, and I am not getting something.. In short, he refused to make any changes to the "construction" on the photo above.. The worst part about it is that he lost the clamp that held two hoses together, and that was used to support them (you can see it on the first photo), and now I have no idea on how to support it otherwise..

Now here is a dilemma - a friend already paid 70 dollars for this ingenuity, and he is not happy that we started all that from the moment we cut the hose. In short, he doesn't want to put more money into it, so it seems like we will have to leave it like that at least for some while.. With that, I have my sincere doubts about longevity of that setup..

But alas, the car is not mine, and the owner just needs to make it work.. We will probably put it all back together tomorrow, we'll see what happens... I will update this post once it will all be done.

Thank you for the help provided, I do appreciate it!
Hope this story was helpful to someone, and best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts