Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300td
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 300td, 1983 and I've been trying to change my oil cooler hose - both upper and lower. Has anyone done this change before? If so, how have you been successful in carefully removing these hoses?. I'm able to loosen all the nuts at the hose ends and also the clamps....but I know there are other components that must come out to make way for these hoses to come out....or is there an easier way.

Thanks for any suggestions.[:)]

·
Registered
1983 300td
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil Cooler Hose Experience

Hello All,

Since no one replied my posting, I'll try to let others know about my experience with the oil cooler hoses. First, these hoses should definitely be checked between oil changes. A major leak on one of these hoses could be disaster. Even a sharp pebble on the road could cause a small leak....which is what happened to me....and lead to an loss of presssure and oil. Ok, here's what I found after loosening all bolts and clamps.

You cannot just simply pull it out without going into "roadblocks", namely the other parts in the engine compartment (injection pump, AC, etc). You have to basically support your engine with a jack and remove the driver side engine mounts and support brackets. This will then allow you to remove the two hoses. Another side note. To make your removal of the lower oil cooler hose easier, you might want to get a 1 1/16" wrench and grind off the top end....just large enough to slip it through the metal end of the hose. Believe me, it makes removal of the end nuts eassier. So, if you see your hose leaking, you know what you're up against....to do....or let an experienced person do it for you.

One last note - my plumber friend told me that he was willing to cut the hose and make me a fitting with the old hoses in place. This was not attempted but I've wondered if others have done it before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300d
20 Posts
Yes. There are no replacement hoses that I found. Mine leaked and my mechanic sent them ou...

Yes. There are no replacement hoses that I found. Mine leaked and my mechanic sent them out to a rubber shop. They removed the rubber parts and welded on fittings and new rubber hoses that ARE replaceable were put in between the fittings.

·
Registered
'83 240D
3,774 Posts
Re: Oil Cooler Hose Experience

One last note - my plumber friend told me that he was willing to cut the hose and make me a fitting with the old hoses in place. This was not attempted but I've wondered if others have done it before.

I've done that with my 280ZX turbo engine conversion in my 280Z. The oil cooler hoses were shot, and the wrong length, so I hacked out the flexible part and plumbed in some hydraulic hose to the original fittings. It's been leak-free for 5 years now.

[8D]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.