are simply tired of hearing about it.
Could I trouble you for some feedback?

Thanks much,

Bill Clark

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I have the car that's about one-week old and has about 150 miles. I did check the oil and plan to do so monthly because of the different forums and so far, the oil level is fine. I do have a different engine and the car was built in late February 2006.

Please do not feel discouraged but continue to participate in the forum. Someone, somewhere may be able to help. It is under warranty and after so many attempts to clear a problem, you may have to think about lemon laws and perhaps get the engine replaced. I would try to approach the service manager himself before consulting with a lawyer. The dealer could also call in a "head" technician from the MB corporate office to come and investigate.

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
Mine was a 10/04 build and they replaced my engine after two visits (around 5000 miles i believe) when the low oil indicator came on. This was all before the 'oil consumption test'. On the new engine, after 2500 miles the indicator came on again. They did the oil consumption test and they said things were fine. After the 13000 mi service, I noticed the oil levels are way above the dipstick indicator. So I guess that's one way to fix it (just fill it up). Visual assessment of the levels on the dipstick is misleading so it's not accurate. I have about 17000 miles (4000 miles after the oil change) and so far no low level warning.

I dont think they are as willing to replace engines now. Theyve loosened what they consider to be acceptable consumption now and I believe the problem/s has been corrected. I was simply told that they identified a problem with the first batch of engines and by early 2005 the new engines were fine.

Only time will tell...

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Bill, There's nothing wrong with your engine. Mercedes just forgot to tell you that they put a 2 stoke engine in your car.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
bclark - 4/8/2006 12:40 AM

Hello all:

Today, my dealings with MB over the
oil consumption issue worsened. I've
been updating the forum on my saga
but it is not clear to me how relevant
my posts about this are.
Don't know how many owners still
have the problem (I know some
have new cars or engines) and how many
are simply tired of hearing about it.
Could I trouble you for some feedback?

Thanks much,

Bill Clark
Bill,
For me its a key part of owning this car. I am keeping my car for now because if I can believe its actually going to work like most well built cars then I can go back to my original plan of keeping it for 10 years. I now have a new engine but far less faith, though 2000 trouble free miles on a new engine is helping. I am getting near the point I got the error on my first engine, and dreading it. This issue is the most relevant for me as an owner.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
greendestiny - 4/7/2006 9:07 PM
...After the 13000 mi service, I noticed the oil levels are way above the dipstick indicator. ...
That is not a good thing either. As I recall, having too much oil in an engine can cause parts to splash in the excess oil and cause it to "foam up". In this condition, the oil doesn't lubricate as well and could also cause problems.

Best thing to do is have the level between high and low marker levels after letting the car sit for a long time on a level surface.

I'm not sure how serious this overfilling problem may be, but I would probably talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
mtiede - 4/8/2006 8:36 AM

greendestiny - 4/7/2006 9:07 PM
...After the 13000 mi service, I noticed the oil levels are way above the dipstick indicator. ...
That is not a good thing either. As I recall, having too much oil in an engine can cause parts to splash in the excess oil and cause it to "foam up". In this condition, the oil doesn't lubricate as well and could also cause problems.

Best thing to do is have the level between high and low marker levels after letting the car sit for a long time on a level surface.

I'm not sure how serious this overfilling problem may be, but I would probably talk to the dealer about it.
The oil consumption problem was not just with 2004 cars. My car was a late January 2005 build and I had the problem. Numerous visits to my dealer in California and they finally did the re-break in of the seals procedure in August 2005 with about 4500 miles on the car. I them moved to NC in September and no oil problems.

In February 2006, the "check oil at next refueling" light came on but I was scheduled to take it in for its 1 year check up and oil/filter change anyway. That is when I found out I also had a transmission problem and they replaced the whole transmission.

Currently have 8900 miles on the car and no oil lights (so far) since the oil/filter change in February. The problem appears to be fixed but we shall see. I only plan on keeping the car another two to three years and right now I am leaning toward NOT buying another Mercedes.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Kit
40 Posts
It's interesting that the manual states "The vehicle consumes a maximum of 0.8 litres of oil per 620 miles (1,000km) depending on the driving style adopted. Oil consumption may be higher if the vehicle is new or you often drive at high engine speeds. Given that on a 350 dipstick, the difference between the lower and upper marks is only 2 litres, this could mean that you would need to top up your oil every 1,550 miles if your car is an oilaholic

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(I've been unable to post to
the previous thread so have
begun this new one).

Thank you for your comments.
I'll try loading my post in
two parts.

(Having trouble loading this; hope it
doesn't duplicate on the site; keep
getting an error message "document
contains no data." O.K., now I'm getting
paranoid).

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(Didn't have to start a new
thread afterall. Is there
a word limit per post)?

What I thought would now be a
definitive oil consumption test
following Dec.'s test drive procedure
has amounted to going back to
square one. Service manager
says the tests done thusfar are inexact we
need to "keep monitoring" the situation.
Despite my telling him about the MB Service Bulletin,
he says MB won't even consider a "repair" unles I'm burning a qt in six hundred and some change
miles (don't recall the exact
number he quoted). At that point, I
told him that I'll never meet those
stringent requirements.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Sorry for all of this but I needed
to get it out of my head and out into
cyberspace where maybe the gods will take
pity; I'm also documenting).

Continuing above posted conversation, service
manager then said oil consumption is an ongoing process,that if a true problem, the consumption
should worsen over time. I challenged
his honesty and failure to disclose.
He accused me of not working with him.
Told him he could keep my car and
I'd drive the loaner until the problem
is resolved. Ron, the service mgr, then
said he could involve the police. (I'm
not believing this conversation). Fine,
I said, let's get some publicity. I also
borrowed Jagman's threat to park in front
of the dealership with a "lemon" sign
(not my style, but these are strange times).

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(Final installment; I promise. Then,
I'll go eat breakfast).

After the above posted pointed exchange,
I then had lengthy phone conversations
with 2 attorneys I know.

In gathering data from this forum I tally
4 members who have had engines replaced,
2 members who have had cars replaced, and
8 members in addition with high oil consumption.

All I want is to enjoy this great car and
receive the customer support that I've paid
for. Too much to ask?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
How about another dealer?

Both the dealer in California where I purchased the car and the dealer in NC admitted there was a problem and worked with me to resolve it. However, prior to the "re-breakin the seals" procedure it was obvious that my oil consumption was not going to qualify me for a new engine or new car. I do think the problm with my car has been fixed, or at least greatly alleviated, and I am OK with that.

Your dealer seems to be more of a problem that the oil consumption so I would try another one even if it is further away.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Malibuite:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to avoid
having to start over. There has been data gathered
from oil consumption tests and the break-in drive
was conducted. According to the MB star bulletin, the
amount of oil consumed should have prompted steps
toward repair and possible engine replacement.
I've drafted a letter to MB USA hoping
they might facilitate either forward movement
or will provide oversight of proper
testing with this,if necessary, another dealer.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
bclark - 4/9/2006 1:33 PM

Malibuite:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to avoid
having to start over. There has been data gathered
from oil consumption tests and the break-in drive
was conducted. According to the MB star bulletin, the
amount of oil consumed should have prompted steps
toward repair and possible engine replacement.
I've drafted a letter to MB USA hoping
they might facilitate either forward movement
or will provide oversight of proper
testing with this,if necessary, another dealer.
A new dealer can access all the information re the testing etc. that has been done at the old dealer. When I moved to NC they pulled up and printed out my record from the California dealer. It even included all the test details re how long it was run, temp, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems like you would need a new dealer anyway.
I would hesitate to take my car to be serviced at a dealer whom I sued!

·
Registered
3 so far.
11 Posts
Hello,

I am replying to the Oil Consumption thread.

I went to the dealer at 1975 Miles when the display told me Check oil level when next refueling (the germans cannot speak proper English). Anyway, the dealer performed the Oil Consumption test on the SLK350, and when I got the car back, the engine was definitely broken in, I could feel that the rings were properly seated. I changed the oil myself at 3200 miles due to the harsh treatment it went through the first 2000 miles. I am at 5200 miles now, and the oil level has not moved at all in 2000 miles.

Here is the file that was attached to a link here in Benzworld from 2005; hope it helps you. Please reply.

Keep qualifying everyday.

Mike.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
If you're looking for a new dealer, may I recommend Knauz in Lake Bluff. A real first class outfit with a straight 5 on the dealer rating site.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PsychoBenzRunner - 4/9/2006 7:07 PM

Here is the file that was attached to a link here in Benzworld from 2005; hope it helps you. Please reply.

Keep qualifying everyday.

Mike.
Mike, thank you but I didn't see the link come
through. It is encouraging that both you and
Malibuite seem to have gotten good results from the
break-in test run.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Duo-Art - 4/9/2006 7:08 PM

If you're looking for a new dealer, may I recommend Knauz in Lake Bluff. A real first class outfit with a straight 5 on the dealer rating site.
Thanks, my wife has had good luck with Knauz BMW
service over the years. Even though they are a
long distance from us (Oak Park), they actually
come to her office or our home and pick up her
car for service. I didn't purchase my SLK from
Knauz so don't know if I'll get that treatment
from their Mercedes franchise. Perhaps I'll bite
the bullet. It's a scenic drive along Lake Michigan
[8D]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts