Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 CLK 430
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 CLK 430 still under warranty. Engine (113) is using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. MBUSA says this is within stated consumption limits.

Anyone having this issue. Thanks.

KT

·
Registered
47 Posts
not true

benz will never say "sure bring it in and let us put a new motor in it for you"
actually rings have been a big problem with these motors, its one of those problems they will never admit, but i see guys replacing them all the time
call your dealer then ask for the general manager, ask him to personally give you the # of thec factory rep in montvale New Jersey corporate headquarters,
call that rep till the GM of your dealership begs you to let him put a new motor in your car
make them put in writing that this oil consumption is normal, you must register complaint before warrenty runs out, if that dosent work drain the oil out of it and drive it till it goes boom, you should not have to lift your hood every 1000 miles in a benz
god knows if it was a toyota you would be problem free till your first major service at 100k then what a fuel filter?
this is why benz makes me sick, they know its a mistake and they never admit it, just like the harmonic balancers that fly off and ruin front engine cover, they know it, they just want to wait till its out of warrenty good luck if you need those numbers for NJ post it i am sure 50% of MB owners know them by heart

·
Registered
99 CLK 430
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for your comments - I will follow up. You seem to be familiar with this - do you work for MB.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hmmmm

to admit i work for benz and make the statement i made would be a mistake
the car holds 8.4 quarts of oil, so they design it to go 10.000 miles between oil changes
seems you would have to replace all the oil more than once between fss services was due again i cant get people to add wiper solvent..........
the fss system was developed to ease dealer services
and customers having to be in every 3000 miles
once 2000 came with the free fss service
if they had to add 10 quarts of oil between fss services, they would have gone back to every 3000 miles
maybe you should send them the bill for the 10 qts
of mobil 1
good luck and keep in touch with their answer to this

·
Registered
99 CLK 430
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Engine On Order

[:D]Over the weekend I did my own computations related to oil consumption tied to MB specs and found that the guys who were measuring the consumption errored in their calcualtions. Walked into the dealer today and told them of my calculations and they called back within 4 hours and said they have ordered a new engine. Thanks for you info.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Yes, this is an old post. I did a search for the word quart. I'm getting my 1st oil change and wanted to be sure the 9 quarts of mobil 1 I was told to buy (by an independent Benz shop) was accurate. An above post said the CLK430 it holds 8 quarts. I have a 99 320.

So when the oil change chains (like Valvoline) advertise 5 quarts, how does this effect the CLK? We get our Lexus GS done at Valvoline with the SynPower oil. Would this work on the CLK?

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
Speaking of oil. Ever since I bought the car, I kept seeing a malfunction in my comp. display reading: "Reduce Oil Level"? Huh? Damn, MB's are picky, they whine if you don't have enough and now even when you have too much? [:p]

What is this? It doesn't matter much as i turned it in today to get a full service on my warranty (last one, Im at like 49820, just made it, lol) but I was just wondering if that reading simply meant...oil change.

·
Registered
C36
20 Posts
does this problem only effect early models? as I maybe just about to purchase a 2001 clk 430, if it applies to all, how do you check for this problem? would a compression test reveal piston ring problems, would it smoke when driven hard?

sorry to be a pain, but reading this has got me a little worried [:(]

cheers for any help

Nik

·
Registered
chris
1,790 Posts
is it a problem "no" people tend to live in the past and read their books as gospel "old times", well it was ok then but things have moved on, things of the old days have been removed "by law" so we must progress synthetics are the way they make the oler car feel new

1 - 13 of 13 Posts