Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1981 SLC:
I burn about a qt. of oil every 400 miles. There are no leaks and the exhaust is clear.
Can anyone tell me what the fix is??

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,884 Posts
The book for Golf 1 (Rabbit/Fox of 80's) shows to be fine up to 1.5l/1000km (~3 UK pints per 600miles) which is ~42% of total engine oil. On average, normaly worn Golf engine should not spend more than 0.5l (~1 UK Pint) per 10000km (6000miles).
Mathematicaly speaking, this makes yor engine in safe oil consumption area relative to the engine oil volume, age and assumed mileage of 100000km+

As from "read" experience, usual reason for excessive oil consumption on classic Merc are valve guide rubber seals and leakage.
My 450SLC '80 with 65000km consumes <1 litre per 10000km (between services) using Castrol Magnatec oil

·
Registered
88 560 SL
15 Posts
I burn a little oil as well. I use to leave a smoke screen at times. I switched to 20-50 Castrol and it doesnt smoke and burns less. I put in a quart about every other tankfull. Since it never gets cold here, I dont worry about the thick oil. A valve job was also recomended by a mechanic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Mobile one.
I never had "smoke steam" problem and I hate to get a valve job if there is another fix or sugestion,

ps, I live in SD also

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
How many miles on the car? Have the heads ever been done? If you are not leaking any oil the only place for it to go is the combustion chamber. So Hopefully it's a valve job and not rings. Also, as your oil consumption is rather extreme I would Highly recomend you switch to 20-50 conventional oil.

Let me know on the mileage bit..Oh, you should also take a compression test(ideally a leak down, but they're a bit harder to come by) and let me know what you find.

Jonathan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
By the way my car is actualy a 500SLC. Nobody ever responds to me when I list it as 500.
The car has 150,000 miles. The compression has always checked Ok.
You mighe be right about the Mobile one I'll chsnge to conventional and see what happens.'Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
really?? Surprising..Nice Car BTW!! If it comes to heads let me know, I have a machinest who is second to none, only MB's etc that I send all my bits from Atlanta to in NY.

Jonathan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts