Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

After disappointing visits to my local MBZ dealership I decided to investigate online and came across benzworld.

In a nut shell I own a new 350SLK with the AMG sport package with only 3,200 miles. After reading many members entries especially 055slk MadMax I am very concerned about this vehicle. I have had the check oil light come on (4) times now and each time it has been down 1 quart, the dealership has given me the same excuses as everyone else i.e its normal for a new engine, car is in break in period, don’t worry about it – this is Bull-*#@%, not only the oil consumption but I have experienced more than once large amounts of white smoke coming out from the exhaust with high amounts of gas smell, the car squeaks worse than a 1950 Chevy pick-up and the clanking noise coming from the right rear trunk is a problem on the fuel tank which MBZ is trying to figure out it drives me nuts to hear clank, clank, clank all the time on a $50K car which consumes more oil than my 47’ Tiara power boat.

After owning 4 Mercedes I’m very disappointed.

Will keep all of you informed with this matter.

Bradley B
[:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I think you will find this forum very helpful...if you update your profile with a general location, you will get more and better responses and feedback. Welcom to the forum...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Document all visits and conversations (including names and positions within the dealership) and keep an accurate log of your experiences with the dealer. It is very frustrating going through a situation like you describe.
Check your state for Lemon Law provisions, and comply with any and all requirements pertaining thereto.

Doc

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update to my 2005 350SLK with only 3,200 miles. Today I received a phone call from my local dealership as I suspected after MBZ made an oil consumption analysis they also confirmed the engine needs to be replaced just as 05SLKMadMax had been told on Benzworld. This forum is awesome and has been a great help. I will not keep this car after reading all the members with similar problems. I wonder if the new ML350 with the same engine will have oil consumption problems as I and many members have had?

Good Luck….

[:(!][:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Having just received my SLK350 I was really concerned to hear about the oil consumption problems. I drove a CLK320 for 4 years and a ML320 for 2 years without needing to add a drop of oil between services. I will certainly keep an eye on this one ! Also, I am getting a knock when cornering - not every time - but it is coming from the right rear. I wonder if it is the same fuel tank problem you were mentioning. Did MB confirm the fix yet ?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MB has not confirmed the noise issue in the right rear I have been told they believe it is coming from the fuel tank. Presently the issue is dealing with the engine in my car that they must replace[xx(]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
There's no doubt something needs replacement, but not the engine- the car itself. I don't think that the local dealers are sufficiently diligent to pay careful enough attention to all of the assorted cables, ties, hoses and seals to do the job correctly the first time. Just imagine all the different sensor messages that will parade across the dash when they are done. Mine is currently in the early miles of the oil consumption test, having used 3-4 quarts in the first 2800 miles. As far as I'm concerned, there are only two acceptable options: a new car ( '06) at no cost or full refund of purchase price and taxes. They'll probably offer an extended warranty on the repaired car if you want to keep it, but why bother. A car with a replacement engine will be tough to sell to a private party and you'll take a beating on a trade-in. A problem this serious requires a good faith act on MB's part.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I agree, a replacement car not a replacement engine is the only fair solution. They should also throw in a few extras for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
SLK 27/Jan/2005
102 Posts
Hi everyone,

I would like to share wad the servicing adviser told me yesterday when I brought the car in for my 10,000km servicing. They did a wet compression test and a dry compression test to check for oil leaks. I am a car idiot and thus did not ask him to further explain. But he assured me that there were no leaks in the car. He told me that from the spec of the engine, it is specified that the V6 engine block consumes 0.5 - 0.7 litres of engine oil per 1,000km. I accepted his explaination and felt quite relieved.
Do you guys think this is correct?

Jon

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
I had a similar discussion yesterday with a Porsche salesman. He claimed that 911's (especially turbos) are notorious for using oil, up to 1qt/ 500 miles during break-in and some continuing to consume for thousands of miles, even for the life of the engine.I must be a total idiot, I just don't understand modern mechanicals. Why is it that none of my past 14 new cars ever used similar volumes of oil, even with twin turbos. I guess if MB and Porsche tell us that using this much oil is normal, then maybe they'll include free oil and engine rebuilds for the life of the car [;)].

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
Hey guys don't forget what they have just done this year. They have done away the 50,000 mile free maintenance program and this may be the reason. This will save them many quarts of oil and that translates into profit $$$$$.[:(][:(][:(]

MB recommends Mobile 1 and M1 synthetic is not cheap.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
dsballdo - 5/18/2005 8:12 PM

I had a similar discussion yesterday with a Porsche salesman. He claimed that 911's (especially turbos) are notorious for using oil, up to 1qt/ 500 miles during break-in and some continuing to consume for thousands of miles, even for the life of the engine.I must be a total idiot, I just don't understand modern mechanicals. Why is it that none of my past 14 new cars ever used similar volumes of oil, even with twin turbos. I guess if MB and Porsche tell us that using this much oil is normal, then maybe they'll include free oil and engine rebuilds for the life of the car [;)].
But if that much oil use were normal, it would be affecting all the engines and its not. It seems the majority of forum members have either not replaced any oil or very little so far so that would appear to be the norm.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: This could be my last post on this SLK forum. As most of you know Mercedes had to replace my engine on my 2005 SLK. With only 3,200 and having it in MB for 4 quarts of oil over 4 months I refused to pick up the car after they replaced the engine. I was adamant on a replacement car or a refund. RAB in San Rafael went above and beyond in accommodating me, “Not Mercedes Cooperate but RAB�. Cooperates response was the engine has been replaced give him back the car end of story. RAB on the other hand and after owning 4 Mercedes was willing to give me a full 100% refund towards a car of my choice RAB was willing to take some of the loss to keep the customers happy and maintain an outstanding reputation, unbelievable. Really love the SLK but after my experience and all the posts on the internet I ended up purchasing a used 2001 430CLK that was on the dealer’s lot. I must say the car is fast and comfortable. In the future I may get into a SLK55 or a SL55. This forum has helped me tremendously.

Cheers

Bradley B

[:(][:(][:(]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Bradley,

Just because you don't own an SLK anymore, you're still one of us. Give us a howdy from time to time.

Mel

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
JonnyBravo - 5/19/2005 3:40 AM
He told me that from the spec of the engine, it is specified that the V6 engine block consumes 0.5 - 0.7 litres of engine oil per 1,000km. I accepted his explaination and felt quite relieved.
Do you guys think this is correct?
Yes, since it says quite clearly in the owners manual on page 180 that consumption of up to 0.8 litres of oil per 1,000 km is normal.

Modern engines often consume some oil, and in my experience it varies even between identical cars. The very thin oils used nowadays to reduce internal friction and increase power and efficiency can get burnt in combustion, and are so thin that they can even drain past the valve stem oil seals into the cylinders when the car is not in use for more than a few hours, causing a small amount of smoke on startup. I've had several different makes of car that consumed 0.5 or 1 litre of oil every 1,000 miles. The last one being a Porsche 911, in answer to another reply.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it is all a bunch of BS. If the motor is consuming that much oil and is not a rotary engine it is a sick engine. I have rebuilt motors and still do on many of my toys. When one is eating oil its just a matter of time before something is going to happen. Throw a rod, eat a valve,etc. They just want to cover there ass. I just replaced a 502 HO magnum in my offshore boat. I was an oil burner from day one. Dealer said that was normal for a big block. I dialed it in and lab finished the prop to perfectly match the motor till it sucked an exhaust valve throught the motor with only 200 hours on it. The swim platform on the back was always covered in black exhaust sewt. I replaced the motor with a stock Mercury replacement motor. This does not burn any oil, the swin step is clean and now the motor is bouncing off the rev limiter with the same prop. Meaning motor is running right and clean and it clearly is making more horsepower then the old engine. About 300 RPM's more at WOT. Thats a lot on an off shore boat. I would say 20 to 30 HP more. Now I have re lab the prop for a high pitch which equals more top end speed. I am a happy camper. Sick motors eat oil. Dad always bought chevy vans for work an always the same set up with a 350 small block. Got one that burned a quart every 800 miles. GM said that was acceptable- For Who? He traded it off ASAP.
The dealer he traded to called all made that he was being sued by who he sold the car too. My dad sent him a copy of the GM letter saying that it was normal and acceptable!!! Case closed for my dad anyway. If you are running an extremely high performance motor that fine but they ussually get rebuilt very often, drag car, race boats, etc. I am not looking for that in 55K + luxury car. Yes its a sports car too, but it is not that sporty to burn 10 times what my Z06 did or even my 427 66' Vette.

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
With all respect, salesman are there to sell cars. Service people are there to get things finished quick and the last thing they really want is to replace your engine and tell you something is wrong.
As long as your car can run kind of OK, they really don't need to tell you what may and/or could happen. After all, a lot of people may sell their cars within 2-3 years and who cares.

All the cars I've owned including performance vehicles never burned much oil. My Nissan truck won't even need a drop until I change the oil every 5,500 miles (5w/30) , and it is not even synthetic.
My bimmer won't need a drop until 12,000 miles for service.

I think a car will burn a lot of oil (not small amount) if it has an engine problem regardless whether they are MB, Porsche, Nissan and etc. Especially different people reported quite different oil burning scenarios.

Sorry for being honest.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Next time buy a Lexus.

Seriously, folks, no engine should burn much more than a quart every 3000-4000 miles, once the rings are seated during a proper break-in period. My Toyota 4-Runner is 11 years old, has 125,000 miles on it, and burns a quart every 4000-5000 miles.

I've been monitoring a couple of M-B forums regarding the oil buring issue of the SLK 350 and so far the response from M-B has been deafening silence! A few dealerships have gone out of their way to make good on these defective cars but nothing positive from Mercedes corporate.

This whole thing is very discouraging. My local dealer does not inspire confidence that they will exceed the corporate efforts to satisfy customer's problems. Especially after they attempted the old bait and switch finance trick on me with my last purchase. (I told them to come pick up the check for the full payoff and they called back and told me it was just a misunderstanding and their mistake.....right!)

I'm test driving a Boxter S next week. I plan to make my purchase at the end of the month. I really want the SLK 55 but I'm not willing to wait much longer for M-B to make these guys who are stuck with defective oil burning SLK 350s happy.

Mercedes...Where are you? Cat got your tongue???

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
reallife - 6/3/2005 2:05 AM

I'm test driving a Boxter S next week. I plan to make my purchase at the end of the month. I really want the SLK 55 but I'm not willing to wait much longer for M-B to make these guys who are stuck with defective oil burning SLK 350s happy.

Mercedes...Where are you? Cat got your tongue???
It would help us all if you let MB USA know what your choice is and why you are not buying MB. They should take the issue seriously when they know they are losing sales

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just brought my 350 in for an oil consumption test, the dealer will drive it for 150 miles they said OR I could drive it for 600 and bring it back in.....I opted to have them drive it over the weekend so I can get down the road with some type of solution. I have 6k miles and have (dealer)added nearly 3 quarts of oil.

Stay tuned....Oh, and as I left the dealer, they were talking with a customer with a new ML for the same problem......hmmmmm. I guess MB corporate with try to keep this quiet.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts