Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you can see there's oil coming out of the hose that goes from the air filter into the top of the motor....anyone have this problem before?

1983 300SD

Not sure if this is related but since we're talking about oil....Is this normal running pressure for oil?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
That's your oil pressure @ idle? Looks pretty good, pegged, as a Merc diesel should be.

I'd replace that hose with a new one. The new one will be fresh rubber, and, being more pliable, will seal around the valve cover port much better than what you have now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil, it's a diesel, but I would replace that rubber hose.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks!

That's the pressure at about 2k rpm's. It runs about 2 to 2.5 at idle.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts

As you can see there's oil coming out of the hose that goes from the air filter into the top of the motor....anyone have this problem before?

1983 300SD

Not sure if this is related but since we're talking about oil....Is this normal running pressure for oil?

Thanks!!
Hahahahahhaha!

If that's the most oil you've got coming out of that SD then it might not have any oil in it!!! :D That's the breather going to the oil separator inside the cleaner housing. I second the new hose or you can put a small swab of permatex aviation sealant on the hose and reinstall it. It won't "sweat" that TINY amount of oil then :)

You'll love your SD in short time. She's a little slow, but sometimes that's just what you want in a good girl ;)

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Yeah, that's not too bad, but even with a new hose and tightened down, mine still did that. I used a Lubro-Moly product, forget the name, added it to the engine, let it run ten minutes, than did a normal oil change. Hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll love your SD in short time. She's a little slow, but sometimes that's just what you want in a good girl ;)
Oh I already love it! It's been more reliable so far than my 2003 E500 was. Not to mention being MUCH cheaper to maintain and work on. I can't wait to get to the interior and start restoring it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1983 300SD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I wondered what the diesel fuel smell in the car was when I first got it. I tracked it down to these fuel lines that run in between the injectors. I will order them online since I can't find any parts stores locally that have them. They look at me like i'm crazy when I ask for braded diesel injector fuel lines. haha

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
That fuel line can be tough to source locally but some of the better foreign parts places do. There really is no subsitute for it.

Keep chipping away at all the little things and before you know it you'll only have a million things left to make her perfect again :)

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Those are the hoses for the injector return lines; not nearly the pressure of an injector line. They may think you're asking for braided line to be installed to supply the injector, in which case that would be crazy, yeah.

You should be able to source the line from the dealer, or an autoparts store, but it'll most likely come in a roll and you'd have to cut them yourself. Just make sure you're getting metric sized hose.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
That braided fuel line comes in bulk, as mentioned. Any online Mercedes parts store will have it. Take one section off, measure, install repeat. One meter MAY be all you need, I order two tho. The last line has a plug in it, cut that out and re-use it, or you can use a vacuum cap like in the pic. There's even the part number from autohausaz.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300SD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh kick a$$. Thanks for the info!

What type oil do you use in your SD. I know NOT to use synthetic or I'll be burning oil like the Iraqi's in a war.

Will the Delvac 1300 super diesel oil work? 15w-40

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
^^There's a can of worms, an oil thread!
I use a cocktail, but mostly Rottela T 15-40.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That braided fuel line comes in bulk, as mentioned. Any online Mercedes parts store will have it. Take one section off, measure, install repeat. One meter MAY be all you need, I order two tho. The last line has a plug in it, cut that out and re-use it, or you can use a vacuum cap like in the pic. There's even the part number from autohausaz.com.
I've learned to loop the return lines on the long side. This gives ample room to get the valve cover on and off for valve adjustments and allow you to trim them back 1/2" to reuse them if you remove ito get an injector out.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Oh kick a$$. Thanks for the info!

What type oil do you use in your SD. I know NOT to use synthetic or I'll be burning oil like the Iraqi's in a war.

Will the Delvac 1300 super diesel oil work? 15w-40
I've used both Rotella and Delvac 15w-40 and liked them both but I've made a change. The last 25k miles have been on synthetic. Rotella T 5w-40, not 15w-40. I might hear some arguments against it, but it does flow right at start up and she sounds much quieter at cold start. It keeps the insides clean just like the other diesel oils and the oil comsumption might have actually decreased!!! I drop a half quart in about every 2500 miles. The fuel consumption is also hard to call since I get my fuel all over the place and quality varies. I get 20.5 to 23mpg driving like a bat out of hell at most times holding shifts back and highway speeds of 75-90mph depending on how close I'm cutting my commute.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts