Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Silver/Charcoal E55 w/approx. 8000 miles on it. I know that the car comes w/a 4 year regular service contract included w/the purchase of the car.<br>I was told by my sales person at Fletcher Jones Motorcars that all of the new cars now have engines that don't require oil changes every 3,000 - 5,000 miles. Therefore, I was told not to worry about it until the car (computer) tells me to go in for a service (I believe the first service is at around 10,000 miles).<p>Can anyone tell me if 1) It's ok/good for the car to go w/out an oil change until the first service OR 2) If Mercedes will pay for an oil change if I brought it in before my first service.<p>Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help/advice.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: I have a 2001 Silver/Charcoal E55 w/approx. 8000 miles on it. I know that the car comes w/a 4 year regular service contract included w/the purchase of the car.<br>I was told by my sales person at Fletcher Jones Motorcars that all of the new cars now have engines that don't require oil changes every 3,000 - 5,000 miles. Therefore, I was told not to worry about it until the car (computer) tells me to go in for a service (I believe the first service is at around 10,000 miles).<p>Can anyone tell me if 1) It's ok/good for the car to go w/out an oil change until the first service OR 2) If Mercedes will pay for an oil change if I brought it in before my first service.<p>Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help/advice.<p><p>I changed oil the first time at ~2500 miles. MB won't pay for the early oil change and it may not make any difference, but it made me feel better. I don't like driving around with the original oil for more than a few thousand miles. If it really made a difference, MB would recommend it and pay for it as they have to pay for any breakdown while the car is under warranty.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14k miles before first change

My lights did not come up until 14k miles. In fact, the dealership was not interested in servicing my car before that. <p>I told them that I take the car to the track and run it quite hard. The service manager mentioned that if you are hard on the car then you would want to bring it in for engine/trans oil checks every 5000k.<p>With that in mind, I will do just that - force them to change my oil every 5000k.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go with the Castrol 10w60

People/racers/tuners in the know go with this oil. I think it is only available through BMW dealerships. When Vaeth does their engine upgrades, they insist on this oil. I've even been told that there's Castrol 10w60 in the Mobil 1 bottles being used in factory Porsche race cars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I was told by a Mercedes Mechanic that they "really don't know" if the 10,000 mile oil change is the best thing for the engine or not...only time will tell. I got the oil changed on my S-430 every 3,000 to 3,500 miles regardless of what they say. My sales person gave me a hard time about the unnecessary oil changes...but it made me feel better. I traded in the S-430 for the E-55...and I love it...I have 978 miles on it...so soon it will be ready for some more aggressive (fast) driving.<p>Rich<br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts