1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 and 2008 S550 Designo
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Here is a question I have:
If I only drive 3-5K miles a year on my W210... given that info... I will not have to replace the oil and filter but every 2 years or so based on the fact that synthetic and fleece oil filter is suppose to last that long.

I am using Mobil synthetic and fleece oil filter.

So...I am wondering if having the oil and filter in the engine for 2 years or so is a bad thing? Replace the oil and filter yearly regardless of mileage or wait until I hit 7-10K miles in approx. 2 years?

Thanks

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
2 years would be fine, in Europe that is even officially approved by MB.

I hope you are not driving short distances only.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Regardless of the distance traveled or the time between changes, I would still recommend that every owner check the oil visually once a month or so. More than just the amount of oil, but whether it's sooty, blackened or showing signs of contamination with coolant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for feed back gents!!!

The car is driven daily, however my work is only 2 miles from home each way...so I know it is not that good for the engine with short distances driving.
I am not trying to save money by not changing the oil yearly regardless of mileage...just don't want to do something that is not necessary.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
You Should Be Fine....

But what I think the other post was trying to say was, correct me if wrong...

Is that water as a result of the combustion process gets into the oil in very small amounts, and that bringing th oil 'up to tempurature' from time to time 'boils off' this moisture.

A minor point I think but a good 'run up' for a few miles will take care of this.

Right???
B

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
With 2 miles drive the engine never gets fully warmed. It would be very advisable to take it for few miles trip every weekend ;)
The question is tricky. Our 2001 ML model has FSS that on the side of mileage counts time and it displayed service after 12 months regardless only about 4000 miles.
Our 99 model has not time count and we had several changes done 18 months apart. The vehicle remains one of the most reliable closing on 10 years this fall.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I like the MTI post, but I would add checking the underside of your oil filler cap at the same time you pull the dipstick. A few members on here have reported seeing a gooey build-up on the cap and around the oil filler tube. If I remember correctly, those members drive a lot of short trips also.

If you observe that, wipe off what you can with a lint-free cloth and take the car for a dive at highway speeds to get the engine hot. I think that will fix this issue.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Hello All,
Here is a question I have:
If I only drive 3-5K miles a year on my W210... given that info... I will not have to replace the oil and filter but every 2 years or so based on the fact that synthetic and fleece oil filter is suppose to last that long.

I am using Mobil synthetic and fleece oil filter.

So...I am wondering if having the oil and filter in the engine for 2 years or so is a bad thing? Replace the oil and filter yearly regardless of mileage or wait until I hit 7-10K miles in approx. 2 years?

Thanks
As a reminder; Oil also has a Shelf Life. That is even if you go 2 years without ever achieving the 10K mark, your Oil has absorbed atmospheric contaminants, acids from the Engine. So it's not just the Mileage County but also the age.

One thing I'd like to point out is your Fuel. Staying in your Fuel Tank for that long and the Engine not warming up enough will cause Carbon build-up in your Engine and your EFI Fuel Injector Tips probably have build up on them.

Might I recommend what I personally do.
Install some Sta-Bil in your Fuel Tank along with Fresh Fuel.
That will help to stabilize ( ergo the brand name ) the Fuel.

Agreed you should take the "Ol' Lady" out for a long drive every so often.
She deserves it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good thanks....

I will try Seafoam or something similar...despite the manual stating Never use fuel additives.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Exactly. In 2 miles the engine is not warming up at all. Two options: listen Kaitek1 advice and do a few more miles once a week, or change the route in the morning a little bit. Anyway I think not changing oil and filter for two years it's not a bad thing.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts