Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my oil changed for the first time in my ML and just took it to Jiffy Lube. Ever since then my check engine light has been on. Those lights are basically useless since they come on for stupid reasons like not tightening the gas cap tight enough. So is there a correlation between going to Jiffy Lube and it coming on? I already reset the mileage on the FSS. Is there something the dealer is required to reset so the light doesn't come on?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
first of all yo should never take your Mercedes (or almost any German made car) to Jiffy Lube.

If your car is 2000+ it requires special oil (Mobil 0w40) and i woudn't trust Juffy lube to have the correct filter for it.

I don't know what year is your car and if you have warranty or now. But your best bet is to take it to the dealer or independent mechanic and ask them to fix this mess. If you take it to the dealer and tell them you used Juffy Lube - they might void your engine warranty, but on other hand most check engine lights covered under emissions warranty up 7y/70k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 99 and I was told that Jiffy Lube would be ok. I wasn't real excited about going there but I was on a time crunch and they were the quickest. What do you mean by mess? That doesn't sound good.[xx(]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Kirill - 4/23/2005 10:50 AM

first of all yo should never take your Mercedes (or almost any German made car) to Jiffy Lube.

I wouldn’t take a Rwandan-made car to jiffy lube…[xx(]

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
An oil change isn't the only thing required when your check engine light comes on. You are probably due for an A or a B service. As has already been said, your '99 requires synthetic oil. It's also likely that the filter they used is less than the OEM brands of Knecht, Mann or Hengst.

Len

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes SLK230
4 Posts
I tend to agree with Sokoloff, it might just be due for Service level A or B. Did your check engine light come on as soon as you picked up the car from Jiffy..or did it come on a few days later?? I would not worry about it too much. It doesn't sound like a mess to me just something to fix!

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
The CEL can mean a lot of things--several are serious, so I would have your dealer check it. It is often the MAF (mass air flow sensor), which may need replacing. It costs $450 and labor is about $350, but if it is bad you really need to replace it.

It is hard to say if Jiffy caused the CEL to come on, but it is possible. I would never take my car to them because, even for an oil change, they just don't have what your car really needs (Mobil 1 synthetic oil and fleece oil filters). See this site for specifics: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

An oil change on our cars is NOT just an oil change. It is much more, IMO.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
mpddadld - 3/18/2006 11:45 AM

engine light, srs lamp, coolant lamp... i'm ready to pull the cables on the battery to reset. Is this a mistake????
Yes! That can do a lot more harm than good. Have your dealer check it out.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,288 Posts
Oh my, oh why did you take your Benz there, I would soon have dirty oil than take my clk there, they would probably be underneath looking for a drain plug . They did something stupid...I had a car with all wheel drive one time and they drained the gear fluid instead, well you know what happened about 10 miles down the road...new trans and gear assembly, $3,500 plus a rental and they had to listen to me go ballistic, they even gave me the money back for the service..[:(]

·
Registered
03SL55AMG,2008 F430spider
215 Posts
jchilds23 - 4/23/2005 12:50 AM

I just got my oil changed for the first time in my ML and just took it to Jiffy Lube. Ever since then my check engine light has been on. Those lights are basically useless since they come on for stupid reasons like not tightening the gas cap tight enough. So is there a correlation between going to Jiffy Lube and it coming on? I already reset the mileage on the FSS. Is there something the dealer is required to reset so the light doesn't come on?
check out malfunction message on dash...if not you can take the car to any garage or autozone they can hook up to the diagnostic and provide you with a fault code ... they can reset it but the nessage will return if problem is not fixed...the problem may be ...1.Oxy sensor
2.purge valve...do not top off gas after fill up
3.charcoal canister

most common fault usually overlooked is loose gas cap...if it is the cause ...the check engine light will reset itself after 10 to 15 run cycle

your car need synthetic oil... if not used you may want to replace soon..and then reset FSS
to reset FSS ... turn the key on donot start the car...scroll down the menu service A or B in >>>> miles... press reset knob... the menu will ask do you want to reset... press reset again... FSS will reset and service interval 10000 miles will show

good luck

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]

"I wouldn’t take a Rwandan-made car to jiffy lube…"---JDC

Those idiots left the pan drain plug loose on my GMC pickup truck. Fortunately, I noticed the temp going up and the oil light came on before the engine seized. Jiffy Lube paid for the tow and were on the hook for an engine rebuild that I never needed.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
First of all, the "check engine" light is not "stupid" it comes on for a reason, and just not to tell you your gas cap is not tight. There are many reasons from minor to critical, the gas cap thing is a recent indicator, but the system monitors everything from exhaust to intake.
When in business had a fleet (2000) cars and we used "Quick Oil" change, our guys would turn cars over in three years or less, they never had time to set an appointment. In my personal experience it was ,overtigtening transmission gaskets causing leaks, wrong filters, stripping pan bolts, knocking off wires, they were always proud to show you the trans dip stick to tell you you needed to have it flushed, and to sell wiper blades. Did you ever look at who is under your car, last week they worked at a fast food joint. They holler "clear", "plug in" to impress people and make shure no one has their hands on the fan blade selling you a belt. In a fleet it did not matter, our people could blow up cars it was in the budget.
If your budget is strapped find a good independent, synthetic 0-40 or 50 Euro Formula with a "fleece" filter is the answer, or do it yourself

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,864 Posts
All of the "quick lube" places around us don't want to and refuse to work on MBs. That includes Jiffy Lube.
I found this out because I found a clean 300E for my dad at an auction and he got on the phone and started calling around for quotes. He called me asked why he could not get them to service it. I freaked out and told him where to go for routine stuff.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,675 Posts
Have the code run at Autozone/Advanced Auto. I agree that it is most likely the MAF or O2 Sensor. I bought a MAF sensor form Autohauz Az. They had the best price when I was looking for one.
If you are going to take it to a Quick oil change place, at least take your own filter.
Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
jchilds3, your info says that you are in New Mexico. I love the light and space of New Mexico.
If you are in one of the "big" cities, you can probably find a mechanic that specializes in German cars and that is better than the quick lube places. The oil pans on many of these cars is aluminum (expensive) and can be damaged relatively easily. The plastic oil filter housing can also be damaged if they don't use the correct tool. Any damage done will quickly cancel the price advantage of the quick lube places.

That is why people are telling you to avoid these places if possible. That, and they are not going to stock the recommended oil and filter for your vehicle.

I have seen some of the made in India filters (which is probably what your quick lube place stocked) that fit the Benz and the quality is significantly lower than what the OEM suppliers (Mann, Hengst) produce. I am not saying that all made in India filters are bad, just the ones that I have seen for MB.

Good luck.
William
2003 E320

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just checking out my old posts and wanted to reply to some of the responses which were much appreciated.
The problem turned out to be the MAF which I bought on ebay for $150 and installed myself in about 2 minutes so whoever took theirs to the dealer and paid $450 parts + $350 labor... that sucks.
Also, I didn't say the check engine light was "stupid", I said it was useless but I think stupid better describes it. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kirill said:

If your car is 2000+ it requires special oil (Mobil 0w40) and i woudn't trust Juffy lube to have the correct filter for it.

I don't know what year is your car and if you have warranty or now. But your best bet is to take it to the dealer or independent mechanic and ask them to fix this mess. If you take it to the dealer and tell them you used Juffy Lube - they might void your engine warranty, but on other hand most check engine lights covered under emissions warranty up 7y/70k
Emissions Warranty? Never heard of that one. Do you buy that seperately? I bought my S500 Certified Preowned. Does that include the Emissions Warranty?

*Please PM me back*

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
jchilds23 said:
A 1999 ML320 and the ML430 do not have the spin on type oil filters, but use the oil filter element type which goes into a container mounted on the engine. To do the job correctly you need 4 rubber ring seals!!!! Just do not think Jiffy Lube would stock the parts. I would go back to Jiff Lube and ask to see the filter and the 4 rings

See picture here:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts