Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought my 2011 GLK350 4Matic in July and just had my first oil change done at my Mercedes dealer at 3,200 miles. After I got home I pulled the dipstick and the car was overfilled with oil quite a bit. I immediately called my service advisor who checked with the tech. According to him "8.5 quarts is what the 350 engines get, and we do 100 of them a day". Btw. I was charged for 9 quarts of Mobil 1 ESP, whatever that means.
Well, my manual says 7.0 liters or 7.4 quarts, so I am guessing my car is overfilled at least a quart now. Can anybody explain this? Do the 4Matic's take less oil? Has the oil pan capacity changed from 8.5 to 7.4 quarts for the 2011 year? I can't believe a Mercedes dealer can't get this right.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
I think the oil filter takes an extra quart so the amount should be correct. Why did you get the oil changed so soon though? The manufacturer dictates a strict oil change schedule which is every 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first. I don't have a GLK so check with your manual however my ML350 has the exact same motor so it should be identical. A lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum have mentioned that changing the synthetic oil earlier is actually not good for the motor. Just something to consider.

The fact that the dealer actually went ahead with your request for an oil change is suspect to me. If that is the case I would switch dealers!

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
The oil capacity on the 4-Matic is less than the std rear drive versions of the engine because there is a drive shaft for the front drive that goes through the oil pan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I really don't like to keep the oil in the engine that long after the break in period. I figured I do one Mobil 1 synthetic oil change at 3,000 miles to get any contamination out and then go another 7,000 miles until the service A is due at 10k. And of course the dealer will do that if you request this and pay for it.
Thank you n5160u, I find that interesting that the 4Matic takes less even more so since my manual says 7.0 liters or 7.4 quarts for all models. And shouldn't a Mercedes dealership know this? If they can't get an oil change right I hope I never have any real mechanical issues. Now I also wonder if the drive shaft goes through the oil pan if this will bring any leak issues in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BU1629, That's too soon for an oil change.

I have 7000 kms (4400 miles) on my 2011 GLK350 which i bought in August. I wanted to get an oil change at about 10000 Kms (6200 miles) , so I called my dealer (he had a gift certificate for me that I was gonna use and told him to mail it.) After confirming he sent it, he said, don't come in for an oil change at those kilometers.... He said, your first service is at 20,000 km (12,400 miles) or 1 year. I gasped! lol. I don't know, I don't think I should wait that long, but that's my dealer and he's been selling benzes for a long time.

i don't wanna derail your topic but.. I dont' know what to do. I think the car comes with an automatic 'signal' or warning if you go in the service tab in your electronic panel (where the audio - telephone etc are) that tells you when you're due . low and behold the message on that says, next service should be in 13,000 kms (8,000 miles) for me, which reinforces what the dealer told me.

I think I'll just follow dealer recommendations for this. I mean the car maker should know what's best for the car.

Any of you wait that long??

·
Registered
2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
169 Posts
I think I'll just follow dealer recommendations for this. I mean the car maker should know what's best for the car.
Your dealer recommendation is slightly inconsistent with car maker (MB) requirements/recommendations, given in the MBUSA 2010 Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Booklet (which I believe is valid for your MY 2011 as well). Note: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/2010_c_cl_cls_e_gl_glk_m_r_s_sl_slk.pdf.

First service is a recommended 5.000 miles tire rotation, then is engine oil and filter change a required service at 10.000 miles (16.090 kms) or 1 year.

You could confront your dealership with the inconsistency.

Any of you wait that long??
Our yearly service took place at 6.200 kms - with oil change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the oil filter takes an extra quart so the amount should be correct. Why did you get the oil changed so soon though? The manufacturer dictates a strict oil change schedule which is every 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first. I don't have a GLK so check with your manual however my ML350 has the exact same motor so it should be identical. A lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum have mentioned that changing the synthetic oil earlier is actually not good for the motor. Just something to consider.

The fact that the dealer actually went ahead with your request for an oil change is suspect to me. If that is the case I would switch dealers!
I dont get it. I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles and my dealer says "thats not a bad idea alot of people do the same thing just to be safe."

·
Registered
437 Posts
I dont get it. I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles and my dealer says "thats not a bad idea alot of people do the same thing just to be safe."
Your dealer as a smart businessman will say ok! Why wouldn't he? He is going to pocket an extra couple of hundred dollars that you don't have to spend.

Just remember what the dealer is. Just a business! Today they sell Mercedes cars , in a few years they may sell completely different goods.
For that reason you should listen to the smart people that manufacture the vehicle. They set the intervals based on research. They came up with the 10K mile interval after conducting exhaustive tests. Actually oil doesn't really need changed until much more than the 10K interval recommended but the Germans are playing it safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your dealer as a smart businessman will say ok! Why wouldn't he? He is going to pocket an extra couple of hundred dollars that you don't have to spend.

Just remember what the dealer is. Just a business! Today they sell Mercedes cars , in a few years they may sell completely different goods.
For that reason you should listen to the smart people that manufacture the vehicle. They set the intervals based on research. They came up with the 10K mile interval after conducting exhaustive tests. Actually oil doesn't really need changed until much more than the 10K interval recommended but the Germans are playing it safe.
Thanks for the input you just saved me 150$ as I was about to get it changed again for no reason. For now on I will wait for 10,000 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just wait for the car to tell you itself. You will get a warning when time comes. After 10K miles or one year whichever happens first. In the meantime it may ask you to add oil if it needs it. Just make sure you add the correct oil and grade.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Here is a diagram of how the drive shaft on 4 Matic-X204's looks:

4MATIC front drivetrain
1 7-speed automatic transmission with integrated transfer
case
2 Front propeller shaft
3 Front axle transmission
4 Left front axle shaft
5 Right front axle shaft
6 Drive to rear axle

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts

he's right the stealership is just out to get your money.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Your logic is perfect but the fact of the matter is the 10K interval was dreamed up by MBUSA.

What the engineers came up with and what is the interval in Europe and elsewhere is more like 19K miles. Same oil, same engines. If someone wants to talk "safe," 10K is plenty safe.

·
Registered
2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
169 Posts
What the engineers came up with is one part of the matter, and requirement with regard to interval as stated in the European service manual may be another, as it is 25.000 km (approx. 15.500 miles) OR 1 year.

Consequently could oil - and filter change intervals even be less than 10K miles, depending on yearly milage, accordingly to (German) MB interval requirements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your logic is perfect but the fact of the matter is the 10K interval was dreamed up by MBUSA.

What the engineers came up with and what is the interval in Europe and elsewhere is more like 19K miles. Same oil, same engines. If someone wants to talk "safe," 10K is plenty safe.
I think you're right. it all depends on where you are, and maybe their standards etc.

Here in Canada it's 20,000 kms . I checked the digital service indicator also, and it confirmed that for me. I'm glad the dealer didn't try to gouge me when I was gonna go in for the change at 10,000 kms. I can check the manual also, and I'm pretty sure it will confirm what both the dealership and the car itself is telling me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts