Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new SLK 350 for my wife. So far, she loves it. I've only driven it a few times but I have to say i'm impressed. It's our first Mercedes and I want to treat it right. Here's the issue. I've always changed the oil in every new car at 500 miles. I was always told that changing the oil at 500 will get rid of the metal shavings from the maufacture of the engine and that the first 500 miles of a new engine is the hardest. What do you think? Do I follow my tradition and have it changed or just wait until the normal service interval? Anybody have any idea what a il change alone would cost me at a dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
X-1 said:
I just purchased a new SLK 350 for my wife. So far, she loves it. I've only driven it a few times but I have to say i'm impressed. It's our first Mercedes and I want to treat it right. Here's the issue. I've always changed the oil in every new car at 500 miles. I was always told that changing the oil at 500 will get rid of the metal shavings from the maufacture of the engine and that the first 500 miles of a new engine is the hardest. What do you think? Do I follow my tradition and have it changed or just wait until the normal service interval? Anybody have any idea what a il change alone would cost me at a dealer?

Thanks.
I've owned 2 MB cars in the past. I've always changed the engine oil and filter following the break-in period and then change every 5000 miles after that. The first Mercedes (1987 420SEL) is still going strong with my brother-in-law in New Jersey ( I don't know the exact mileage, but it's close to 150K miles). The second one (1998 E320) has about 70K and drives like it's just broken it. I sold this to a family friend who is quite happy with it. The newer engines with the flexible system and all synthetic engine oil probably lasts longer but I plan to follow a similar routine.

Don't forget to "Zaino" the car.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
welcome. don''t forget to put your location in your information as the answers to your questions will be location specific. i had my oil changed at 3k, 5k, 10, and 15k. in the states (florida), the oil change is about $55 dollars but under service 'a' it will be about $159. check your manual for the stuff they do at service 'a' and 'c' or as they are annotated, service 1 and 3. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
113 Posts
With the new felxible service system, and the design of the new engines with flece oil filters and synthetic oil, there is no reason to change your oil more then the recommended service.

There is no requirement to change the oil until you reach 13000 miles. Mercedes will perform a free 1000 mile inspection of your car and determine if your oil needs changing. In most cases, it will not need to be changed.

I may get some arguments on this one, but I will say it anyway. To change the oil more often then 13000 miles is a waste of expensive synthetic oil and money.

I have owned 2 used and 5 new Mercedes over the last 21 years and seen the evalution of oil change and service requirements.

When Mercedes first came out with the flexible system with synthetic oil there was a oil monitor in the cars that measured the containments in the oil. Based on the amount of containments, the system would tell you when to change the oil.

Mercedes discovered that containments remained low up to 13000 miles. They have now removed the oil monitor and estabilshed the standard at 13000 miles.

My 2003 E320 had the oil monitor system and lowest oil change it recommended was 12500 miles. The highest was 13500 miles.

In 1988 I purchased a Toyota van that was 3 years oil and had 80,000 on it. The previous owner told me he purchased the vehicle new. He used synthetic oil and changed it every 10,000 miles. I continued that pratice and kept the vehicle 7 years. When I sold it, there was 176,000 miles on it and it still ran great. The vehicle never used any oil between oil changes.

I was sold on synthetic oil after that.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I'm a low milage driver. I had my oil changed at 3,000 miles and I will have it done at 8,000. I don't plan to drive more than 5,000 miles between oil changes. For me itt will be about once per year. If I'm wasting my money, so be it. It's not that much compared to the price of the car.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Duo: I agree.
I also don't drive my SLK that much, but will definately be changing the oil once a year - regardless if the mileage does not reach 10,000

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had my first oil change at 26k kilometers (16k miles) as advised in the MFD

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
maybe it is me but after an oil change i feel that the car performs better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
did you always change with the factory 0W40?
This juice is really expensive over here, 1 litre is about € 20 ($ 25). As my 350 needs 8 litres, the bill just for the oil is US$ 200!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
113 Posts
To clarify, it is recommended that you change it every 13000 miles or 1 year. If you don't drive that mutch, you should change it once a year. But it do not make sense to change it before 1 year or 13000 miles. Mercedes would not recommend it if vehicle was not designed for it. Do think they want to pay for an engine?

Duo-Art said:
I'm a low milage driver. I had my oil changed at 3,000 miles and I will have it done at 8,000. I don't plan to drive more than 5,000 miles between oil changes. For me itt will be about once per year. If I'm wasting my money, so be it. It's not that much compared to the price of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm planning on changing it at the interval as stated in the owners manual but....... I'm really asking if anyone changes it after the break-in period. Anyone? Sounds like etyu and I are the only ones who change after the break-in period.

Thanks for all the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts