Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the oil cooler circuit labeled "B" in the diagram below "Oil circuit with air oil cooler in right-hand wheelhouse." I use the dipstick tube suction method (as opposed to drain plug) when changing my oil. I never gave it much thought but is this procedure leaving old oil in the oil cooler? Does the oil in the cooler just drain into the pan when the engine is off and thus get sucked up through the dipstick when I do the change or do I need to do something else to get the old oil out of the cooler?

In the section that describes oil change procedures, my CD manual doesn't make mention of any special process to evacuate oil from the oil cooler during an oil change. I thought that the oil cooler was more common on the diesel engines and tried to look up the oil change procedures for diesels so equipped but didn't find anything helpful. Some of the older threads I searched raise the issue on a tangent, but the question never gets answered. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know at what temperature the thermostat mentioned in the "Note" at the bottom left corner of the diagram below begins to allow oil to flow through the oil cooler circuit?

Sorry this post is so long..... Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
No special procedure...if you Really want to drain it you can crack open one of the lines (bit of a pita w/ all the shrouding..) and even pressurize it w/ some air..hell, you could try pressurizing the air filter housing, see if that drives some of the oil out.

I would Think the t-stat wouldn't open until @ least 60C, but I'm really not sure. I had one out of the car but don't remember seeing any temp figures on it. I'll check the EPC, perhaps it lists a temp etc..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts