Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the oil change myself this weekend. Immediately after the oil change I drove the car and got the following error codes: P0105 and P1519.

P1519 VARIABLE CAMSHAFT TIMING MALFUNCTION
P0105 B2B PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT

Here is the catch. During oil change I spilled some used oil in engine compartment (a little) and on the floor. I tried cleaning it but there is still a strong oil smell in the garage. They don't call it hazardous waste for nothing :)

Please help me to diagnose the situation.

Do you think the codes will sensors will stop triggering after the oil smell i gone? Or should I clean/change any sensors? Or could I damage something while changing oil?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In any case how dangerous is it to drive with these codes on? How can I check if the car is ok to drive?

So far I don't notice anything suspicious when driving other than the check engine light is on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I inspected the engine compartment and it looks that one of the vacuum hoses is broken - see pictures. The second picture shows a close-up of the hose with a section missing.

Now a new bunch of questions:
Can I drive with this hose broken?
What is the part number for the hose?
How do I replace it?
Does this explain codes P0105 and P1519 or is there something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I inspected the engine compartment and it looks that one of the vacuum hoses is broken - see pictures. The second picture shows a close-up of the hose with a section missing.

Now a new bunch of questions:
Can I drive with this hose broken?
What is the part number for the hose?
How do I replace it?
Does this explain codes P0105 and P1519 or is there something else?
What you show, the "hose" with the split, is actually a wire loom, not a vacuum hose. The plastic is split like that so that the wires can be inserted and run from point to point in a group. Not to worry, that's how it's supposed to be.

The codes you see may just have come up coincidentally with the oil change, and may have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bruce,

The vacuum hose I referring to is not a black wire loom :) but a small yellow-ish hose behind it. On the picture it is missing a whole section.

You can also see a part of this hose on the first picture just above the wire loom.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Autozone has small rubber tubing that fits perfect. Just take a section of the broken plastic( snap or cut it off the end and take it with you.) Fit the plastic ends inside the the new rubber and cut to desired length. I would replace as much of the old plastic as possible (all of it) as it gets brittle with age... Also check the other plastic tubing under the front cover as you might have problems with those also..

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Bruce,

The vacuum hose I referring to is not a black wire loom :) but a small yellow-ish hose behind it. On the picture it is missing a whole section.

You can also see a part of this hose on the first picture just above the wire loom.
I see it now, sorry, the words "section missing" didn't register for some reason... :eek:

Bazzle and cacecef seem to have the answer covered pretty well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bazzle, cacecef, Bruce R.,

Thanks a lot for advice!

Drove today to the dealership and picked up a plastic hose ($6 per meter, they gave it to me for free:)). 5 minutes to replace the hose - simply cut it to the right length and plug it into the rubber connectors on both ends. The old hose got very brittle and was breaking easily. Will see tomorrow if the codes get cleared.

While taking off the cover saw a lot of oil build-up on a Camshaft Adjuster Magnet. Cleaned it to check if new oil appears.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Bazzle, cacecef, Bruce R.,

Thanks a lot for advice!

Drove today to the dealership and picked up a plastic hose ($6 per meter, they gave it to me for free:)). 5 minutes to replace the hose - simply cut it to the right length and plug it into the rubber connectors on both ends. The old hose got very brittle and was breaking easily. Will see tomorrow if the codes get cleared.

While taking off the cover saw a lot of oil build-up on a Camshaft Adjuster Magnet. Cleaned it to check if new oil appears.
It's interesting to see or hear of a dealer that takes care of their customers; they are not ALL thieves and hustlers. It's good to hear something nice about them once in a while.... :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
It was the same line broken that caused my errors. I repaired the broken vacuum line with a repair part from my local auto parts store and that resolved my issue. Cost less than $1 USD.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Turns out, I got the very same scenario. Happened right after an oil change - had codes P0410 and P0105. Replaced the air check valve (which was all rusted out). Cleared the codes, got them back. Just today, got the P1519 code to boot, and I checked that very area, and it's split (but no section is missing). I'll go see if I can fix it with tubing or new hose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure that fixing a crack in the vacuum tube will fix it. Worked for me and for the other forum member (cocktailsfirst).

The easiest fix is to replace the whole section of the tube, which you can get from the dealer for almost nothing. It simply plugs into rubber sockets on both ends.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also had P0105 and P1519 codes together with a stalling/no-start problem. It was solved by plugging in this same vacuum line that had somehow come out of its rubber hose connection. This rubber hose goes a short way to the MAP sensor, located at about the 2:00 position in the first picture above. By the way, for those wondering wherre the camshaft position sensor is, it is directly behind the red arrow in the 3rd picture and is held in by two screws in my c230 (the CPS above looks the same).

Edited later: The vacuum line repair only fixed the two codes, since the stall/no-start came back today. Tapping on the fuel pump while someone else cranked it got it started again, so I presume it's a bad fuel pump causing the no-start problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much for the OP for this thread and the helpful pictures. Same exact thing happened to me, I was doing an oil change for the first time on my 1999 C230 since I purchased it about a year ago. I took it once into a shop for an oil change when I first bought it and they over tightened the oil filter, so in my struggle to remove it I must have broken that vaccum pipe which is very brittle. Got the check engine light throwing P0410 and P105 error codes.

After reading this thread, I found the broken pipe thanks to the OPS awsome labled pictures, got a 1 foot replacement from Auto Zone for 83 cents and took me 2 mins to fix it, now no more check engine!

What a relief!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I spoke to soon, I just got the P0410 code again on the CEL. I think I may have put the check valve on incorrectly, either on the wrong end of the vacuum tube OR but on backwards (i see air only can go through if you blow through one end).

Would any of you be so kind as to take a picture of both ends of your vacuum tube OR describe to me how it is.

As in the original picture this tube runs from under the engine front cover to the outside towards the driver side. On one end there is supposed to be a check valve. The check valve has a blue end and a black end. I need to figure out which end gets plugged where and and which end of the cable should the valve be placed.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts