Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E500
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you do-it-yourself people out there (all 3 of us!!! lol <jk>) just wanted to share my experience changing the oil in my '06 ML500.

Ramped and secured the vehicle, removed the approx. 10 bolts (10mm) on the plastic underside covering. (I considered the vacuum however wanted to do it the 'traditional' way so I can see if there's any metal on the drain plug). The oil plug (13mm) is right down below on the front driver's side, can't miss it!

While draining the oil removed the filter cover with a standard good ol' fashioned oil filter wrench (fits 2 3/14" - 3 1/4"). Came off without a problem, just make sure to get the wrench as close to the base as possible.

Replaced the filter, tightened the oil filter cover little more than hand snug, tightened drain plug and added 9 qt Mobil-1 15W-40 Synthetic. Checked for leaks.

Verified everything ok, bolted on the plastic underside covering, took the vehicle to level ground and verified that the Engine Oil level was ok. Did a test run, waited for a bit and re-verified Engine Oil level was ok.

That's all there's to it! Total time was about an hour. Would I do it again myself? .... hmmm maybe, maybe not... total cost was around $80 (filter-$28, oil-$52) however I guess it's a personal satisfaction thing..........

-Jason
 

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Oil change

jaser35x said:
For all you do-it-yourself people out there (all 3 of us!!! lol <jk>) just wanted to share my experience changing the oil in my '06 ML500.

Ramped and secured the vehicle, removed the approx. 10 bolts (10mm) on the plastic underside covering. (I considered the vacuum however wanted to do it the 'traditional' way so I can see if there's any metal on the drain plug). The oil plug (13mm) is right down below on the front driver's side, can't miss it!

While draining the oil removed the filter cover with a standard good ol' fashioned oil filter wrench (fits 2 3/14" - 3 1/4"). Came off without a problem, just make sure to get the wrench as close to the base as possible.

Replaced the filter, tightened the oil filter cover little more than hand snug, tightened drain plug and added 9 qt Mobil-1 15W-40 Synthetic. Checked for leaks.

Verified everything ok, bolted on the plastic underside covering, took the vehicle to level ground and verified that the Engine Oil level was ok. Did a test run, waited for a bit and re-verified Engine Oil level was ok.

That's all there's to it! Total time was about an hour. Would I do it again myself? .... hmmm maybe, maybe not... total cost was around $80 (filter-$28, oil-$52) however I guess it's a personal satisfaction thing..........

-Jason
I use the suction method for in-between changes (halfway between dealer services). Much eaiser than the bottom drain and virtually as effective.

MityVac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus Order# MIT7201 www.TheToolWarehouse.Net

 

·
Registered
2015 ML-250 BTC
Joined
·
11 Posts
How much oil did you get for $28 from the dealer??

Did you get Mobile 1 ESP 5W-40 or just Mobile 1 5W-40?

I have a new ML-320 CDI and will be up for an oil change by the end of the summer. The only place I have found the proper oil (proper according to MB info), Mobil ESP 5W-40 is the dealership. Mobil says the oil is available for sale to the retail stores but no store wants to carry it because it is just for such a limited market, namely 2007 Mercedes Diesel engines.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
2006 E500
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the filter itself cost $28 (Dealer). I purchased the 9 qt oil from AutoZone. I typoed my original post, I after some research and oil availability at the major auto places, I went with Mobil-1 15W-50 Extended Performance Synthetic.........
 

·
Registered
2006 E500
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaser35x said:
Actually the filter itself cost $28 (Dealer). I purchased the 9 qt oil from AutoZone. I typoed my original post, I after some research and oil availability at the major auto places, I went with Mobil-1 15W-50 Extended Performance Synthetic.........
... and the oil itself cost approx. $52
 

·
Registered
2006 E500
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaser35x said:
... and the oil itself cost approx. $52
Here's a link to Mobil if looking for info.

Mobil 1

I'm in no way affiliated with Mobil, just another place for information ... straight from the source!!!
 

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
Joined
·
300 Posts
I am all for doing my own oil changes and have been for over forty years... But, the Mobile 1 oils currently available at retail stores and discussed here do not meet the current M-B specification. For the price I paid for my ML320 and my desire to keep it a long time it makes no sense to try and save a couple of dollars per quart and not use what is recommended. You may not see any difference now but as the mileage piles up early wear and tear and eventual damage can result. Why take the chance unless you plan on unloading it in a couple of years? It amazes me that people will spend $2000 per wheel for some bling but woun't spend $16 -20 more per oil change every 6 -12,000 miles for engine maintenance.
 

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
Joined
·
723 Posts
If you do the oil yourself, you know it is being done correctly. I just had my ML320CDI oil changed by the local MBZ dealer. They put the wrong oil in. The diesel uses a 229.51 spec oil versus the 229.5 spec for most other late model MBZ. It is a good idea to review what was done to be sure it was done correctly.
 

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
Joined
·
300 Posts
rick said:
If you do the oil yourself, you know it is being done correctly. I just had my ML320CDI oil changed by the local MBZ dealer. They put the wrong oil in. The diesel uses a 229.51 spec oil versus the 229.5 spec for most other late model MBZ. It is a good idea to review what was done to be sure it was done correctly.
You are spot on Rick. I would/will do it myself but only use oil that meets the 229.51 spec. None of the other oils do. It would be interesting to know (in lay terms) what the specification difference is between 229.5 and 229.51.
 

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
Joined
·
300 Posts
Yes but not all Mobile 1 is the same. Check your owners manual and the label on the oil bottle. I don't know about the gas engines but for the 2007 ML320 CDI it must meet M-B spec 229.51. The only Mobile 1 I have found in the store meets 229.5 which is an older standard. As far as I know the only place I can get the right stuff is at a dealer and it's a few dollars more than retail.
-Chris
 

·
Registered
2006 E500
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CJzBenz said:
I am all for doing my own oil changes and have been for over forty years... But, the Mobile 1 oils currently available at retail stores and discussed here do not meet the current M-B specification. For the price I paid for my ML320 and my desire to keep it a long time it makes no sense to try and save a couple of dollars per quart and not use what is recommended. You may not see any difference now but as the mileage piles up early wear and tear and eventual damage can result. Why take the chance unless you plan on unloading it in a couple of years? It amazes me that people will spend $2000 per wheel for some bling but woun't spend $16 -20 more per oil change every 6 -12,000 miles for engine maintenance.
... my violin's playing now..........
 

·
Registered
2015 ML-250 BTC
Joined
·
11 Posts
As quoted from Mobil's lit on Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-40:

Product Description
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles that require an oil that is approved against Daimler Chrysler's MB 229.51 specification.

Features and Benefits: Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of high erformance components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 has been designed to deliver outstanding overall performance and protection.

What this says is that you should really really really use this oil if you want to maintain the new Diesel Particulate Filter on you 2007 MB.

Good luck.

stew
 

·
Registered
06 ml350
Joined
·
9 Posts
Evacuator

Used it to suck of the old oil. I only got about 5 quarts. That means I have 4 quarts left. I shoved the hose as far as I can, even hitting the bottom of something. I think we need to drain from bottom to get all 9 quarts out.

C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
cack said:
Used it to suck of the old oil. I only got about 5 quarts. That means I have 4 quarts left. I shoved the hose as far as I can, even hitting the bottom of something. I think we need to drain from bottom to get all 9 quarts out.

C
You're doing something wrong.

I've changed my ML320CDI twice already; and have sucked out 9+ qts each time. Adding back 9.5 qts brought it to the mid point on the dip stick both times.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top