Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a 2008 C300 V6 a while back, and it's time for his first oil change (since he got it). It's at like 60,000 miles..

I work at a Honda Dealership as a service technician, and as a good friend, I always work on my friend's cars.. and I thought this would be no different than a regular oil change.

But, I looked at "Motor Alldata", and there seems to be no instructions for an oil change or oil filter removal.
And, I did just a Google Search and found people having to use a fluid extractor down the dipstick tube to get the old oil out..
Is that right?! Is there not a drain bolt on the oil pan that I can use to drain the oil out?? is the fluid extractor down the dipstick really necessary?

We got 9 quarts of 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil.. AllData says 8.5quarts..

Also, anything else I should know about doing an oil change on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 C300 Sport
32 Posts
First oil change at 60K?

Mercedes vehicle has the drain plug on the oil pan like other cars. But, the vehicle has a shield covering the bottom. So, you have to loosen all the screws to get to the drain plug. Also, Mercedes engines have their filters near the top of the engine on the side. So, no need to access it from underneath.

So using a extractor is good because there is no need to disturb under the car and no need to lift it as well. You can do everything from the ground level.

Watch some of the youtube video and follow the direction. Some of the videos are made very well.

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
Of course, the convenience and cleanliness of the top oil removal does not tell the whole story. The location of the end of the oil dipstick tube at the bottom of the carter is the key: oil totally removed, plus any remaining debris out of the circulating circuit. The filter is top loaded without spills. The change time is very short for the greenest person doing it.

Naturally, the skeptic can do as he pleases, but this is the age of reason over seat of the pants feelings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts