Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '99 CLK320. It has 22,000 miles on it.

I'd like to know other owners opinions on the recommended oil change interval by Mercedes. Following the FSS system, an oil change will be completed about every 10,000 miles. Every car I've had, I changed the oil every 3000 miles. The car is out of warranty so I will pay for the changes myself. I have no problem paying for them if it will really extend the life of the engine. What do you do in practice?

Also, could I take it to a quick change oil if I were to do this more often?[?]

·
Registered
08 gl320 cdi
46 Posts
Its not going to hurt anything by changing the oil more frequenty, but if you are going to...

Its not going to hurt anything by changing the oil more frequenty, but if you are going to use a synthetic oil, you can go according to the FSS.

If you aren't, stick with the 3k interval. MB had a class action lawsuit on the MLs because of not requiring the synthetics...they do now for all the cars.

Buy the correct MB filter and let someone else besides the dealer change the oil and save.

Don't foget to check the oil level periodically.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wrong answer

changing your oil too often is ok if you use right oil
most oils are detergent oils
they need somthing to clean
use a nondetergent oil for frequent oilchanges
if you wash you pants 5 times a day do they get any cleaner?, no they fall apart.......

·
Registered
47 Posts
wrong answer

if you wash you pants 5 times a day do they get any cleaner?, no they fall apart.......

·
Registered
47 Posts
wrong answer

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
Oil changes

My mechanic recommended oil changes every 3500 miles as normal and also said that with frequent oil changes, synthetic would not be necessary. He also went on to say that synthetic should be used only if changing oil every 10,000 miles..

Mark

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying that if you use synthetic's, it is better to change the oil less frequent...

So you're saying that if you use synthetic's, it is better to change the oil less frequently (as in the FSS recomendation)???

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
Oil change

My mechanic said that synthetics are designed for people who do not follow routine oil changes as they should. The synthetic oil in his terms serves best for those who don't maintenance their car as they should and allow for flexibility between services without damaging the engine. I personally stick to the 3500 mile change and use quality oil but not synthetic.

Mark

·
Registered
99 CLK430, 92 400E
27 Posts
I must be "beyond anal" as I change my oil every 3,000 miles and use Mobile 1 full synthet...

I must be "beyond anal" as I change my oil every 3,000 miles and use Mobile 1 full synthetic. Anyone else abide by 3,000 mile changes with full synthetic?

I started doing this after my first 260E went over the 100,000 mile mark and it seemed to run better/smoother and never leaked oil. That engine/tranny had 310,000+ miles on it when I traded it in, so I have stayed with that methodology.

·
Registered
08 gl320 cdi
46 Posts
Re: I must be

Anyone else abide by 3,000 mile changes with full synthetic?
I use Redline in my Nissan twin turbo and follow a 3k to 4k schedule. The synthetics take higher temperatures much better and there is less engine friction loss. It only uses 3.5 qts, while the mercs take over 8 for each. I figured that oil is under less stress and the Mobil 1 additives will last for the FSS schedule. I did an oil change at the FSS midpoint and the readings changed by only a couple of hundred miles...so I don't know about its oil analyzing capabilities.

If you feel comfortable with the oil and your schedule, then don't change....it worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
CLK 430 2001
2 Posts
Re: I must be

I must be "beyond anal" as I change my oil every 3,000 miles and use Mobile 1 full synthetic. Anyone else abide by 3,000 mile changes with full synthetic?

I started doing this after my first 260E went over the 100,000 mile mark and it seemed to run better/smoother and never leaked oil. That engine/tranny had 310,000+ miles on it when I traded it in, so I have stayed with that methodology.
I agree with your process, oil is the life line of any engine. I do the same at 3000 miles, no matter what.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts