Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E350 4Matic Wagon P2 Lane Tracking Driver Assit. Heated/Ventilated/Multicontour*/Leather seats
262 Posts
Spoke with a girl that has hers changed every 2,500 miles! She thinks it will make the car last longer.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,801 Posts
Yikes, that makes me wonder how many other people drank the industry Kool-Aid.

·
Registered
E220 CDI Estate
35 Posts
I have been drivivg around a bit since I bought the car, so I have driven about 7000km. It says on the cluster that B service is after ca 10000 km, i.e., the oil shoul obviously last 18k km. I have checked the service papers now but they did not mention anything about the type or name of oil used. So I am not sure why it also says on the cluster "observe oil change period". I would have just changed the oil but prices here are sceience-fiction high and I am already in debt after I have bought my "pride and joy". Sorry I nag a lot guys, but what would yiu do if you were in my shoes?

Regards,
Adam:surrender:

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
depends on where oil change was done ( authorized dealer or not )..if it wasn't an official MB dealer then I was suggesting oil change few posts earlier.
and Adam , trust me.. Benz oil change probably one of not many cars - super easy almost to a point of enjoyment. So start familiarizing yourself with private parts of your ride... do it yourself...& save some $$$ in the process.
Oil spec's to look for: 5w40 Full Synthetic 229.5 or 229.51
Norway is rather chilly in winter times so to be sure consult locally for proper weight.
P.S. you mentioned before that you have lots of maintenance papers & bills from previous owner.. organize that info in form of What & When being serviced on your car prior you took ownership.. and post it on Forum, this way we'll be able to see & recommend what need to be addressed by priority.

·
Registered
E220 CDI Estate
35 Posts
Thank you so much for the input guys!! The oil was change at the dealer's so I think I will just wait for next service...

Have a nice day!! (or evening or nigh - time difference:)o

·
Premium Member
'06 E320 CDI, '83 300D Turbo
127 Posts
Thinking about the FSS and the service interval, is there a way to synch it up with my schedule? In other words, I changed the oil 6000 miles ago but the level C service is due now. Can I change the next 13,000 file change interval to be 7,000 miles?

Suggestions are always appreciated.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
Try to reset everything else but Service 12, which is Oil/Filter change in FSS menu.

·
Registered
G class , E class , several W 124
178 Posts
I change mine at 10 000 km. - 18 000 is a bit too much. I think the dealers recommend this interval in order to reduce the engine life hence you buy new car sooner ,I mean who wants to service W124 wright - once every two years:rotfl:

·
Registered
E220 CDI Estate
35 Posts
Yes, good idea. I will need to check them and put the most important thigns. I need to work a bit on the translation :) Thank you for the tip!

·
Registered
E220 CDI Estate
35 Posts
Try to reset everything else but Service 12, which is Oil/Filter change in FSS menu.
A newbie and stupid as I am! What is 12 and FSS? And I have a question. When I change oil let us say, and change filters and this stuff, and maybe change the brake pads as well. How do I get to change the service thing on the cluster? or do I really have to go to the dealership? They charge around 1k usd for the serivce, which i assume does not include any parts...

And one more thing, the stamp on the serivce book is essential for the future of the car, is there a way to get it stamped from the dealership if I start changing things myself - which is something I really want to do -?

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
A newbie and stupid as I am! What is 12 and FSS? And I have a question. When I change oil let us say, and change filters and this stuff, and maybe change the brake pads as well. How do I get to change the service thing on the cluster? or do I really have to go to the dealership? They charge around 1k usd for the serivce, which i assume does not include any parts...

And one more thing, the stamp on the serivce book is essential for the future of the car, is there a way to get it stamped from the dealership if I start changing things myself - which is something I really want to do -?

Cheers
Adam
I wouldn't know what is common/proper in your country as far as importance of stamped by dealer scheduled service in maintenance book( perhaps for the future re-sale of car etc... official records never hurt) but as for proof of repairs/replaced parts etc or simply for the sake of personal records I'd just keep receipts of purchased parts with marked date and keep LOG ( paper and/or computer in form of Microsoft Excel or similar) of such.
If you have Excel on your computer and would like to have copy send me PM with your e-mail address , I'll share with you.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
12 is the service number for the oil change
FSS is the Flexible Service System, except....its not flexible any more, the oil change interval in the US is 13k miles regardless of driving conditions or oil life.
It is widely accepted that MB approved oils are good for at least 13k miles and up to 18k miles. Most folks here change oil at 10 to 13k miles(cultural paradigm)

·
Registered
14 Posts
What does oil life means? I drive only about 5k miles per year, that's meaning I can change my oil once in about 3 yrs? Or have to change it every year regardless of low mileage?

·
Super Moderator
22,801 Posts
Due to time it will degrade so once a year is MBs interval in the US even if you have driven the full mileage cycle.

·
Registered
1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
235 Posts
Is anyone familiar with Motul 8100 X-Clean 5w-40 ? I purchased some from Car Quest today.

·
Super Moderator
22,801 Posts
It is MB spec 229.51 approved.

I use Motul products in my Ducati and they have performed well.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
I use Motul products in my Ducati and they have performed well.
I had a Ducati 125cc way back in the late 50's it was the 1st year they came out with the front wheel smaller than the rear one. Great bike! I screwed it up using castor oil, but that's another story

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
774 Posts
I find all this oil change interval stuff fascinating. I do have a question for you experts: My drive to work is only 3 miles, so the engine is barely if at all really warmed up. Due to this, I have always changed the oil in my Asian import every 6 months as the oil looks black and very thin. I use a quality full synthetic.
What is your take on my situation and oil change intervals. I also have a 1995 Ferrari 355 that gets driven only about 1,500 mi/yr and I change the oil once per year, per Ferrari advice.

thanks

21 - 40 of 42 Posts