Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing Engine Oil in my ML 320, model year 2000, for the first time. Can I get some help on how I can do this (where the drain nut and air filter are).

What oil should I use (for Bay Area climate) and what air filter is good. Should I have to change the airfilter. Can I find this oil in PepBoys or should I have to go to a Mercedes parts store to get the oil and filter.

Thanks.

PS: I have done oil change for my Honda Accord several times and so I'm not completely new to this activity. Just not sure what oil to get.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
236 Posts
fully synthetic oil

underneath the engine, look for a plug, be careful when you take it out, oil drips onto axles etc. so you might get some on ya, I did [:(][:(][:(]

air filter is in the engine compartment, look for a big plastic box

oil filter is also in the engine compartment, not underneath the car

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Allan - 11/6/2004 1:48 AM
Just not sure what oil to get.
Oil information here http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html [;)]

·
Registered
ML320
36 Posts
Speaking of oil change, i went to the dealer yesterday to pick up an oil filter. Guess how much is the oil filter .......$24.00!!! WTF

Needless to say, I pass & ordered it on the internet for $9.00.

Routine DIY oil change used to be cheap but not anymore.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Oil Change for ML 320- drain plug

Couldn't find the drain plug or the oil filter. I thought it would be simple to locate. Any diagrams you can point me to or tips on finding these.

Thanks.

·
Registered
04G55AMG,08R320CDI
371 Posts

Give this link a try.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1182558&posts=7&hl=change

The search is really very good at benzworld[:)]

·
Registered
2003 CLK 500 Coupe
6 Posts

Use plastic food wrap to cover the suspension near the oil drain plug (or it will drip oil for weeks after you drain the oil). I also modified an oil funnel to make this job easier. I'll send you a picture if you like.

Always replace the drain plug gasket (copper ring) when changing oil. The filter should include a new set of O-rings for the filter carrier. Pay particular attention to the torque on the filter cap (~ 17 ft-lbs). Over tightening will break it easily. Any dealer will have the special tool for the filter cap (about $25 & worth it). I think the other replies located the oil filter for you (if not, it's near the oil cap on the top/front of your motor.

The factory likes Mobil 1 0-40W synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
my friend had helped me [well he predominately did the work..i was learning ;-)] change the oil today...and i paid the 26 bucks for the filter -.-

where did ya find it for 9? [:0]

·
Registered
1998 ML320
236 Posts
nimit - 11/7/2004 2:41 AM

my friend had helped me [well he predominately did the work..i was learning ;-)] change the oil today...and i paid the 26 bucks for the filter -.-

where did ya find it for 9? [:0]
autozone

I think they have 2 different ones, 1 for 9.x and 1 for 15 bucks

·
Registered
ML320
36 Posts
I got the filter at aplusparts.com, the filter is made by MANN.

My mistake it's $10.75 ea for the fleece version but it's still cheaper than most sites.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
160 Posts
the preferred method to change the oil is to use a device called a topsider. It is a vacuumpunp system you stick down the dipstick tube and suck out all the oil. The oil filter is on top of the engineon the right side it is a round cap about 4 inches across it is very easy to see.

The topsider is available from marine supply stores for about 50 dollars but it is really a no mess solution. check this out.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

the wrench to remove the filter is available from Walmart for about 5 dollars.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
i read about that pump thing...and thought that i had to get it to change my oil heh. i like the 'traditional' way better. just seems to make sense to let it drop out....why force the oil to come up and out? [:0]

btw...autozone sells our filter? i know that the one i bought yesterday had 3 washers that came with it too...seems kinda like a unique designed filter to me...? but then again i havent really done oil changes on that many cars [:I]

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
nimit - 11/7/2004 1:19 PM

i read about that pump thing...and thought that i had to get it to change my oil heh. i like the 'traditional' way better. just seems to make sense to let it drop out....why force the oil to come up and out? [:0]
The reason is because the car was not originally designed to have the oil drained from the bottom and doing so is less complete than using the suction method for which the engine was designed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I changed the oil in my diesel ML270 from the dipstick hole and was very impressed with the cleanliness and the completeness.

It is easier to tell if all the oil is removed with a diesel as the old oil is black and taints the colour of the new oil.

Nice clean and easy job.

·
Registered
79 Posts
it is cleaner AND actually removes MORE oil than the drain plug way. I use the Mityvac and bought it from the tool warehouse online. Has a two way feed so I suck the oil out and then change the direction and pump it (old oil) into the empty quarts to take for recycling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts