Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I recently bought 05 E320. I am seeing "service F exceeded" message. I took it to MB dealership. They suggested SBC flush, cabin dust filter and oil change. The quoted $225 for SBC flush and $450 or so for cabin dust filter and oil change. The oil change alone is around $235 something.

Being used to $30 oil change for my good old Honda, all this came to me as a little exorbitant.

Is this typical cost for this service or does it include "dealership premium"? Would you follks recommend that I always take my car to dealership for services or should I shop around for other, lower cost auto shops? The dealership particularly stressed that I shouldnt let anyone else mess with SBC flush but then I am not sure if they really meant it or just wanted my business.

By the way, I have 42,000 miles on the car.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Not a bad price.

By the way in case you did not notice, this ain't a Honda!

In case you did not realize it this is why the oil changes are 13,000-19,000 miles between services. If you drive the car properly, eliminate idle time, limit cold starts and maximize highway miles you can easily get 15,000 or more per oil change. Don't even argue if it's safe or prudent, to which I would say show that it isn't.

The oil change does seem a bit on the high side, 8.0-8.5L of oil ($8.00 per liter) plus a filter $15.00. Time about .3 hours based on the shop rate.

However the oil change is the least of your worries. Your car is due for other significant services namely the SBC (Brake system flush). Most people don't realize that brake fluid must be replaced every 1-2 years regardless of mileage due to the hygroscopic characteristics of the fluid.

The cabin filter is a simple swap, I don't even think my dealer charged me labor when I had my last service performed to change it out. total time to swap it is under 3 minutes and no tools required.

You are also overdue for a transmission fluid and filter change.

You may want to dig into the books and figure out what is overdue on your car. The problem with a used car is often the previous owner neglected to perform any of the critical servicing and now you the new owner gets to play catch up.

I would plan on at least $1,200 by the time it's all said and done.

By the way if you bring in your own oil (Total Quartz 9000 0w30 MB229.5) and they should knock off the charge for their oil which is typically inflated by $2-3 per liter.

DB

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
He They suggested SBC flush, cabin dust filter and oil change. The quoted $225 for SBC flush and $450 or so for cabin dust filter and oil change. The oil change alone is around $235 something.

Being used to $30 oil change for my good old Honda, all this came to me as a little exorbitant.
QUOTE]

DIY

Oil change using 229.51 oil and fleece filter $100 max
Cabin filter $30 est
SBC flush, The tools are about $100 + 1 ltr of approved fluid don't remember the cost but consider $30.

Total for DIY about $200 and change.

This ain't no Honda, but I agree the prices are excessive given what you pay for the car. $250 to flush brakes,,,:eek:

For dealer service the price is about right. But MB's can be maintained by doing a lot of work yourself.

Remember: Quality does not equal high cost.

It is possible to have a quality car without excessive maintenance cost. I bought a new Corvette when I bought the wife's E500.

The Corvette has been driven on the track and pushed hard . I have had only power seat issues for warranty nothing else. Wish I could say the same for the E500 driven by Granny. The E500 was $20,000 more than the Vet and per mile driven has cost more and had many more warranty claims. Both have the same miles on the odo.

I will buy another new Corvette when it is time to replace the one I have, but for the MB given the effort :banghead:to maintain it,, I will be considering ALL options.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Time to trade in the E500 for a Lexus LS460 ... at least that's the image that have of next to zero problems! :D

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
It's your dealer - he's a thief!

At my local dealer, I've consistently paid the following prices:

Oil change - 89.00 and change
Brake flush - 78.00 and change
Cabin Dust Filter - 30.00 (not the charcoal filter)

Yikes!

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
Another thing - read your manual and go by the services required. My dealer told me that the SBC doesn't require flushing and has a 10 year warranty on it (2005).

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,427 Posts
I recently bought 05 E320. They suggested SBC flush $225 I have 42,000 miles on the car.
If you are under warranty or purchased CPO mention DTB P-B-42.46/27e and a modified suction hose will be installed diminishing SBC noise during pressure buildup inclusive of brake fluid flush at no cost. If out of warranty, request a no cost goodwill modification from "MBUSA & dealer" referencing DTB since part was modified to improve performance.

If you want a copy of this DTB PM your email address. Include your VIN and in addition I will send a MB datacard listing option & paint codes, production date, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments! So it appears that, based on your feedback, the cost of this service should be between $200 to $1200. Hmmm, I am now confused :)

I will check out Indy shops after the long weekend to see how much they charge.

By the way, I read maintianence manual for the car and it doesnt mention anything about letters. It lists service 1 through service 14, which basically include oil change, charcoal filter and checking fluid levels. I asked another MB owner and he only knows about service A and B (needed every alternate year). How can I find out what does service F means?

Also, the dealer apparently reset FSS so it is no longer showing what service is required. Is it still possible to find it out? Would it be possible to get a record of services done in the past either from FSS? At this point, I have no clue what services were done or if they were done by the previous owner. By the way, this car was leased before I bought and I know the dealership that leased it so maybe they have some record.

·
Registered
2007 CLK 550,2014 ML 550
163 Posts
Time to trade in the E500 for a Lexus LS460 ... at least that's the image that have of next to zero problems! :D
I have been looking at these,and the E350's (05-07) and thinking about one but not into getting hammered at a MB dealer for oil change,simple maintance.
Have a Lexus RX 330 now and do it all myself or at a friends shop.
Maybe I should go back and look over those GS"S and LS's again.
Can I expect to have to pay a MB dealer or is DIY and option?

·
Registered
'13 E350
198 Posts
Thanks for all the comments! So it appears that, based on your feedback, the cost of this service should be between $200 to $1200. Hmmm, I am now confused :)

I will check out Indy shops after the long weekend to see how much they charge.

By the way, I read maintianence manual for the car and it doesnt mention anything about letters. It lists service 1 through service 14, which basically include oil change, charcoal filter and checking fluid levels. I asked another MB owner and he only knows about service A and B (needed every alternate year). How can I find out what does service F means?

Also, the dealer apparently reset FSS so it is no longer showing what service is required. Is it still possible to find it out? Would it be possible to get a record of services done in the past either from FSS? At this point, I have no clue what services were done or if they were done by the previous owner. By the way, this car was leased before I bought and I know the dealership that leased it so maybe they have some record.
This link should help you out some....
T.

Service E-Class (211) USA - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
It's your dealer - he's a thief!

At my local dealer, I've consistently paid the following prices:

Oil change - 89.00 and change
Brake flush - 78.00 and change
Cabin Dust Filter - 30.00 (not the charcoal filter)

Yikes!
There is no way they are using Factory approved oil for $89.00, thats about right for conventional oil but not synthetic.

Also the SBC (Brake system) MUST have the fluid replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage and this is true with any brake system. The fluid spec is DOT-4Plus which extended service intervals from 1 year to two years.

DB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone!

So I followed that link to MBWorld and followed the instructions to check out FSS via multifunctional display. As I mentioned earlier, I was seeing service F+ exceeded message. I went to the Items menu and it basically listed most numbers from 1 through 13, a bit strange for a car with only 42000 miles. It also showed more work than what the dealer told me (dealer only suggested oil change, dust filter and SBC flush).

Unfortunately, I didnt record the numbers so I went back to write them down but then FSS showed service D in 13000 miles message so service F message was gone. Puzzled, I tried again later and then it showed service E in 13000.

Did I inadvertently reset computer? I recall seeing "Service Confirmed" message so I think I made some mistake there when playing around with it.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
There is no way they are using Factory approved oil for $89.00, thats about right for conventional oil but not synthetic.

Also the SBC (Brake system) MUST have the fluid replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage and this is true with any brake system. The fluid spec is DOT-4Plus which extended service intervals from 1 year to two years.

DB
Nope. They're using MB spec oil and fleece filter.

As you say, the brake fluid must be changed every two years or 24K miles, whichever comes first. But that has nothing to do with the SBC system and applies to *any* car with hydraulic brakes.

The SBC system requires no service at all unless there's a failure.

On another question, you bet you can do a lot of the service yourself! I know many who do. But, with the quality of service that the local dealer provides, I'd rather pay them to do the service and, perhaps more importantly, to have their hands on the car periodically. They'd taken care of a number of minor issues that I wasn't even aware of when the car was in for an oil change.

As I've said before, how happy you are with your car will depend very strongly on your dealer. There's no question that Lexus makes a fine car, but it so happens that the one in my area can't be trusted and the Mercedes dealer can. Who knows - if ownership changes, that situation may also change.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Another thing - read your manual and go by the services required. My dealer told me that the SBC doesn't require flushing and has a 10 year warranty on it (2005).
Do you mean the break fluid does not need to be changed because the system is covered by 10 year warranty? At least the Euro service schedule includes brake fluid change every 2 years. I'm sure MB would measure the water content from the fluid and would refuse on warranty work if the content was too high (it could well remain sufficiently low for more that 2 years, depends on your driving and climate.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Service prices quoted by OP are close to prices in the expensive San Francisco/San Jose area of northern California.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
American Service Center/Mercedes Benz of Alexandria Va is offering a Synthetic Oil & Filter service for $45, they say the retail value of this service is $125. Includes up to 8 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic, Mercedes oil filter and installation.

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Just a side comment, after many reviews on the forums there are quite a few that explain the process of changing your own oil. On my E500 2003 the filter is on top and easy to get to without getting under the car. I will look up the old link, but all I did was buy at a oil extractor at Bass Pro sporting goods. It is used for outboard engines to remove oil (Google it) and you suck the oil out via the oil tube by the firewall, you remove the oil filter (Wal-Mart has cap tool that fits over the top of the filter) and change the whole thing yourself no mess about 1/2 hour. Best price I found for the oil (Mobil 1 0-40) was Wal-Mart, $5.65 qt. I would suggest you get the oil filters from the dealership, OEM and not bad price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts