Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An oil change for a 1998 ML320 requires 8.5 quarts of oil (Mobil 1 0w40) -- correct? I remember reading somewhere that there was a technical bulletin stating that that's been changed to something like 7.75 quarts, but now I can't find that information, so not sure...

I'm going to venture outside of my MB dealer for service. I have 150k miles on my car and this will be the first time I've not used my dealer. Using a friend of my brother to see if he could fix a couple of things for a lot cheaper. Thought I'd get the oil changed while I'm at it.

·
Registered
2002 ML320 SOLD, 2008 Mustang GT, 2012 Ford Escape
96 Posts
An oil change for a 1998 ML320 requires 8.5 quarts of oil (Mobil 1 0w40) -- correct? I remember reading somewhere that there was a technical bulletin stating that that's been changed to something like 7.75 quarts, but now I can't find that information, so not sure...

I'm going to venture outside of my MB dealer for service. I have 150k miles on my car and this will be the first time I've not used my dealer. Using a friend of my brother to see if he could fix a couple of things for a lot cheaper. Thought I'd get the oil changed while I'm at it.
If you're not sure, I would put 7 quarts in and then check the dipstick. Then keep adding until the FULL mark on the dipstick. That way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Maybe we are now supposed to keep the oil level at the 1/2 way mark on the dipstick because that is about where 3/4qt low would be.

The engine in my 98ML has not shrunk since I bought it. It still uses 8.5qts at each oil change. I use a MityVac7201 to remove all the oil through the dipstick tube. I usually put in 7.5 qts. initially then top up as needed as suggested above. It always comes out to 8.5 qts after running the engine to circulate the oil through the filter. I use Mobil-1 0W40.

I did notice that on my last oil change in my 05ML500 that it only took about 8.25 qts to the top full line on the dipstick.
Mike

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
I bought the Fumoto valve from QuickOilDrainValve.com for both my vehicles and oil changes became infinitely easier. No need to buy a vacuum device, no splatter or mess all over the driveway. Put a short piece of hose on the valve (I got the nipple version) place it into a suitable container and open the valve. I dont even need to raise the truck as you can easily reach the valve from the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
98 ML320, 01 S500, 15 GL350
587 Posts
I bought the Fumoto valve from QuickOilDrainValve.com for both my vehicles and oil changes became infinitely easier. No need to buy a vacuum device, no splatter or mess all over the driveway. Put a short piece of hose on the valve (I got the nipple version) place it into a suitable container and open the valve. I dont even need to raise the truck as you can easily reach the valve from the front of the vehicle.

I heard of a story that off road rocks knocked the valve open and stranded the truck in the middle of nowhere. After that story I took the valve off and doing it the top side way.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
I heard of a story that off road rocks knocked the valve open and stranded the truck in the middle of nowhere. After that story I took the valve off and doing it the top side way.
Oh yeah? Well I heard of a story from my sisters roomate that the top side method left decades of sludge in the pan. :p

But seriously, after seeing how the valve operates I think the chances of this happening are practically nill, especially for those of us who spend the majority of their time driving on pavement. Besides, if you drive off-road over large rocks that are jagged enough to magically raise & rotate the lever they are also jagged enough to simply puncture the pan, valve or not.

·
Registered
98 ML320, 01 S500, 15 GL350
587 Posts
Oh yeah? Well I heard of a story from my sisters roomate that the top side method left decades of sludge in the pan. :p

But seriously, after seeing how the valve operates I think the chances of this happening are practically nill, especially for those of us who spend the majority of their time driving on pavement. Besides, if you drive off-road over large rocks that are jagged enough to magically raise & rotate the lever they are also jagged enough to simply puncture the pan, valve or not.
I really hope your valve is rock solid and the story will never happen to you, my fellow benzworld buddy!

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
I can vouch for the sludge buildup

with topside oil changes. Many boats can only be changed by extracting the oil through the dipstick and it is almost impossible to get all the old oil out; there's a lot of crud on the bottom of the pan of an old boat engine. It is also very common for the pan to rust out from the inside because of condensation building up water in the pan and the engine not warming up enough to evaporate the water. That is particularly a problem with raw water cooled engines that run much cooler than closed cooling systems do.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Well, maybe there's something truly special about

MB oil pans that allows you to fully empty one with a dipstick changer. Maybe synthetic oil makes a real difference and only the newest boats use synthetic. Maybe the higher operating temps of more modern automotive engines makes a real difference. Maybe climate makes a difference; all my experience with this is in cold climates. But I've seen lots and lots of truly ugly oil pans come out of sterndrive boats that had always had their oil changed through the dipstick and lots of my acquaintances have had to pull engines to replace rusted out oil pans.

I have an Oil Boy that I used for my boat, and rather than lay on the ground in the cold, I would use it to change the oil in the ML, but more likely I'd just take it to the shop and have it thoroughly drained.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Left to his own devices, the shop/dealer

will do whatever it takes to beat the flat rate and make more money; two pulls on an Oil Boy takes a lot less time than lifting, removing the plug, draining, replacing the plug, and all that unprofitable stuff. If I take it to the shop, they'll do what I tell them to do.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
Just simply not true.

Dam this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.
Mike
:p = Joke

I was referring to his "friend of a friend" story about rocks that can manipulate & open complex valves. :p

If the topside pump works for you, great! I just prefer the $14 valve, piece of tubing and nothing to cleanup.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
:p = Joke

I was referring to his "friend of a friend" story about rocks that can manipulate & open complex valves. :p

If the topside pump works for you, great! I just prefer the $14 valve, piece of tubing and nothing to cleanup.
I have absolutely nothing against draining from the bottom of the pan or the use of the oil drain valves. I just have a problem with people stating that the dipstick tube vacuum method is not as good. Tests have proven that both methods are equal.
My 05ML500 and my 190E both have a bottom cover below the engine that must be removed to gain access to the drain plug making a bottom drain very difficult. Your valve may work with a hose attached since I think there is enough room to get your hand down there to open the valve. This will also provide protection to the valve from anything hitting it.

And the guy with all the "Maybe" statements needs to check the validity of his statements. Most of them are not maybe but true like the MB dipstick being specially designed to drain all the oil --- it is.
All the Mercedes since the mid 1990's are. There is also talk of eliminating the drain plug on new designed engines in the near future.

And while I'm at it -- rusted metal on a Boat engine being the result of how the oil was drained -- give me a break. Boat = water = lots of external moisture = corrosion.

I love those friend of a friend's uncle's brother in law's cousin's stories.

Here we go beating a dead horse again.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ML320
36 Posts
This is the most recent 98 ML320 oil change thread so I'll jump in here.

I just changed my oil for the first time. I think I'll spring for the valve thing. I had the car up on a lift and oil still got everywhere.

My question is about the oil filter. I did not realize the stem came out of the filter canister and I too wondered why I had all those O-rings left over.
Q: If I remove the stem does that allow the oil to drain out of the canister into the engine? I had to use a turkey baster to get that oil out.

Q: What is the size of the oil plug crush washer? Mine did not even have one. My wife usually takes the car to local Jiffy-Quickie place so I guess that is where it is.

Drain pan vs. topside pump: Its looks to me like the pan is deeper on the side with plug vs. the opposite side where the pump draws from.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
This is the most recent 98 ML320 oil change thread so I'll jump in here.

I just changed my oil for the first time. I think I'll spring for the valve thing. I had the car up on a lift and oil still got everywhere.

My question is about the oil filter. I did not realize the stem came out of the filter canister and I too wondered why I had all those O-rings left over.
Q: If I remove the stem does that allow the oil to drain out of the canister into the engine? I had to use a turkey baster to get that oil out.

Q: What is the size of the oil plug crush washer? Mine did not even have one. My wife usually takes the car to local Jiffy-Quickie place so I guess that is where it is.

Drain pan vs. topside pump: Its looks to me like the pan is deeper on the side with plug vs. the opposite side where the pump draws from.

If you are talking about the stem on #125 then it is broken and should not remain in the filter housing. Four O-rings go on oil filter and the other in the kit goes on the oil dip stick.

The oil drain plug requires a metal washer.

All of these items should be replaced immediately.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
And if she was going to Jiffy Lube they were not putting in the 0W40 or 5W40 approved
oil. Which is usually Mobil 1 European car formula.
Unless of course you were having her bring in the 8-9 quarts for each change.
Please make sure the correct oil is used.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
36 Posts
Thanks for the parts diagram. Now I see it is like the oil filter cap on my VW. This post shows the stem separated and says it can be reattached with difficulty. I'll try that first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts