Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
03' SLK230-Sold, 05' C320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealer to schedule my "routine" oil change. This will be the second time I've brought my car in. My car has 10,000 miles on it and under warranty. My service rep tells me it's going to cost $110.00. WHAT????? I said to him you didn't charge me last time, why this time and aren't oil changes done as part of the service warranty?? He tells me I don't know why we didn't charge you last time, and NO, oil changes are not part of the warranty service. Not that $110 is "a lot of money" but GEEZ, give me a break! After pouting and reminding him AGAIN that I wasn't charged the first time, he broke down and agreed to not charge me. YAHOOOOO. My question is why aren't oil changes covered?? He was telling me something about a Service Plan "A". I had no idea what he was talking about...anyone familar with that the heck that is?

Thanx!
Wen [:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ; 2000 E320
232 Posts
Wen, that's insane :)

itswindee - 4/7/2005 5:56 PM

I called the dealer to schedule my "routine" oil change. This will be the second time I've brought my car in. My car has 10,000 miles on it and under warranty. My service rep tells me it's going to cost $110.00. WHAT????? I said to him you didn't charge me last time, why this time and aren't oil changes done as part of the service warranty?? He tells me I don't know why we didn't charge you last time, and NO, oil changes are not part of the warranty service. Not that $110 is "a lot of money" but GEEZ, give me a break! After pouting and reminding him AGAIN that I wasn't charged the first time, he broke down and agreed to not charge me. YAHOOOOO. My question is why aren't oil changes covered?? He was telling me something about a Service Plan "A". I had no idea what he was talking about...anyone familar with that the heck that is?

Thanx!
Wen [:)]
Hey Wen :) That is ridiculous to charge you $110.00 for an oil change. I have a 2001 SLK320 and when I was under the factory warranty, I wasn't charged a dime for an oil change. In fact everything from Service A to Service B was free of charge. I was under the impression that only the new SLKs 2005 and above do not have free oil changes. Technically, you should be able to keep receiving free oil changes while your under the factory warranty. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
If for some reason you cannot get a free oil change in the future, I would advise that you change the oil yourself. It is such as simple process. You can great directions, with pictures, off of slk32.com

Good luck,

RK

·
Registered
03 SLK 230
60 Posts
I don't know what's going on with your dealer but I've racked up 47k miles so far on my 03 and never had to pay a dime on any service (A or B service plan). Never had to pay for any cosmetic parts I requested to be replaced either. I'm sure someone here will give you the specifics on our warranty contract.

·
Registered
03' SLK230-Sold, 05' C320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: Wen, that's insane :)

Change the oil myself??!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[:I]RK, you're a pretty funny guy :p I don't even know how to insert a "quote" into this reply box! Actually my husband has done it before but he's been out of town and told me to just take it to the dealer, but I agree with you about it being insane - that's what I thought! Well, at least I sweet-talked my way out of paying for it!
[:I]
Thanx for your reply.

Wen :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
RE: Wen, that's insane :)

Changing the oil is a 15 minute job, and Hubby doesn't even have to get under the car.
An oil sucker costs way less then the $110 they wanted to charge you and oil filters are generally under $10 each. You should consider it, it's easy work.
If you have no interest in doing that, look for a Mercedes shop in your area They will not charge anywhere near that for an oil change. Be advised however, if you go the full 10,000 miles between oil changes you need to put Mobil 1 in the car, or a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
All services are covered under your warranty fr 1999-2004 MY's. These services include oil changes.

$110 is pretty typical for an oil change. If you consider 8 quarts of synthetic oil, oil filter, loaner car, and misc. items it is not so bad.

·
Registered
06 SL55
58 Posts
you know, i used to think MB dealers were expensive (they are) but i recently added a Lexus IS300 to my stable, hoping i'd get slighty more Toyota-like running costs, since that's basically what it is.

the Lexus dealer charges $155 for a oil change and even more outrageous was the $1100 (let me repeat that- $1100) they wanted for a 60k. this is for a standard 60k service (r/r all filters, fluid, plugs inspection & lube) this does not include a timing belt replacement or anything like. luckily i found an indy that did the service for $350...

unless it's a free scheduled maintenance or warranty work, i avoid the dealer whenever possible, whether MB or Lexus...

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
110 is a deal for a service a, in the bay they run btwn 165-325, depending upon the dealer. I personally though would rather spend the 40 bucks and do it myself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mike, I think $110 is just solely for oil change...I was quoted the same price (maybe more, like $135) at a dealership in the East Bay. The guys in Boston charged like $90 or so.

Would you be able to recommend me to dealership who charges $165 for a standard service A like you said? I still cannot find one that will do it for sub-$200 around the Bay Area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire... All service, including oil is covered under warranty. My 01 has 23k on it and last change at 20k was also covered fully...
Is this the ever popular "she's a woman, she'll never know the difference" gimik? Good for you Wen, for sticking to your guns... even if you used your "baby blues" to achieve it.[8D]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
LeCorbusier - 4/7/2005 6:56 PM

Mike, I think $110 is just solely for oil change...I was quoted the same price (maybe more, like $135) at a dealership in the East Bay. The guys in Boston charged like $90 or so.

Would you be able to recommend me to dealership who charges $165 for a standard service A like you said? I still cannot find one that will do it for sub-$200 around the Bay Area.

Thanks!
Autobauhn quoted me 165.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Hold everything...

Mercedes has offered free "scheduled maintenance" for 4 years or 50,000 miles on all model year 2000 through 2004 Mercedes vehicles. Your SLK is a 2003 model, so scheduled maintenance is free. However, you have to understand that "scheduled" maintenance means when the onboard computer (aka the Flexible Service System or FSS) tells you that service is required. Generally, this is every 2 years or 10K miles, whichever comes first. However, if you are calling your dealer to ask for an oil change and the FSS doesn't indicate it's necessary, they do have every right to charge you full price.

Since you've already had one oil change, my guess is that they reset the FSS system and it's not time for your second service yet.

The price may not be as outrageous as you think. the dealer list price of the parts for an oil change on your SLK230 is about $64 (that $22 for 1 extended-life oil filter and $7/each for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40). If you bought all the same stuff yourself from a discount supplier, you'd still pay about $45.

So, if the FSS says it's time to have the vehicle serviced, tell the service advisor that he's full of it because it's covered. Otherwise, just pay the $110 and have it done right with the proper parts.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
RE: Hold everything...

Brian_R170 - 4/7/2005 11:07 PM

"scheduled" maintenance means when the onboard computer (aka the Flexible Service System or FSS) tells you that service is required. Generally, this is every 2 years or 10K miles, whichever comes first.
Is it really every 2 years? My car had an A service in 8/31/04 (before I bought it) and my warranty expires 12/3/05, I was hoping to get a B service under warranty since I need all the fluids (coolant, brake, fuel filter) changed as well as the oil. The dealer said the fluid changes would be covered under warranty only if they are done incongunction with an A or B service. I wouldn't think they would let the oil (even Mobil 1) go 2 years. What is the longest time anyone (who didn't hit 10,000 miles first) has seen between FSS service alerts? The way I have been driving this, I won't even be close to 10,000 miles, I've only put a little over 1000 on it in 3 months, and it has only 2500 miles since the A service in 8/04.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Thanks guys...Brian_R170 you mean to tell me my car which was picked up by the original owner in March 2001 is now out of the factory warrenty? [xx(]
I did get a GMAC extended warrenty but it doesn't cover routine matinance. And my car has only had one "A" service ever done. It just went over 20k miles last month and the service light has not come on yet....

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
TLC 320 - 4/8/2005 8:11 AM

Thanks guys...Brian_R170 you mean to tell me my car which was picked up by the original owner in March 2001 is now out of the factory warrenty? [xx(]
I did get a GMAC extended warrenty but it doesn't cover routine matinance. And my car has only had one "A" service ever done. It just went over 20k miles last month and the service light has not come on yet....
I think you're factory warranty has expired. Your dealer can tell you the "in service date" for your vehicle from the VIN. You can also call 1-800-FOR -MERC and they should be able to tell you as well. The warranty should be 4 years from that date.

You can check and see how many miles (or days) until the FSS will indicate a need for service:
"The FSS display can also be called up for approximately 10 seconds with display illuminated by pressing button (1) twice within 1 second."
Button 1 is the one on the left.
I just tried it, the car had to be running to work. Mine had the 2 wrenches (B service) and 7600 miles to go, which would be correct.

As a follow up to my fluids needing to be changed, I think I'll argue that one with the dealer. The maintenance booklet says the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, coolant every 3 years, fuel & air filters every 4 years, those times have nothing to do with FSS A & B services and should be covered by the factory warranty.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
You know, Linh's Jiffy-Lube is in California and in a previous post he was offering free oil changes to members of this forum. You might check out that avenue; something for after the warranty expires? You can probably find out more about it by searching this forum.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Hold everything...

16falcon - 4/8/2005 9:05 AM

Brian_R170 - 4/7/2005 11:07 PM

"scheduled" maintenance means when the onboard computer (aka the Flexible Service System or FSS) tells you that service is required. Generally, this is every 2 years or 10K miles, whichever comes first.
Is it really every 2 years? My car had an A service in 8/31/04 (before I bought it) and my warranty expires 12/3/05, I was hoping to get a B service under warranty since I need all the fluids (coolant, brake, fuel filter) changed as well as the oil. The dealer said the fluid changes would be covered under warranty only if they are done incongunction with an A or B service. I wouldn't think they would let the oil (even Mobil 1) go 2 years. What is the longest time anyone (who didn't hit 10,000 miles first) has seen between FSS service alerts? The way I have been driving this, I won't even be close to 10,000 miles, I've only put a little over 1000 on it in 3 months, and it has only 2500 miles since the A service in 8/04.
Your dealer will perform the service (most likely). I make sure I take my car in for Service A or B once a year and have not had a problem regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
08 135 vert 6mt-formerly 08 CLK 350-formerly 01 SLK 6MT
150 Posts
RE: Hold everything...concur

Fletcher Jones in SoCal would service car yearly regardless of milage[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
My 55 takes 9 (9.2 actually) liters of Mobile 1. A liter of it costs about 26 Swiss francs.

We're looking at 260chf worth of new oil. Over $200, damn [xx(]

[:p]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts