Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 ML 320 Blue Tec - 2008 ML 320 CDI - 2005 E320 CDI
254 Posts
Moose, where did you place the catch can? At the front passenger head light? What catch can did you use? Cost?
In the photos I posted above you can see the top of the oil separator in the gap behind the passenger headlight. I bought the Mann Provent from IDParts (currently out of stock).

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
534 Posts
I bought the '09 ML a few weeks ago and this is how I found the filters. The firewall sections had factory torque on the fasteners as well as all the other fasteners looked untouched. Just plain nasty filters.
Moose, those dirty filters don't mean they were never changed. Mine were that bad after 20k. I've changed the filters without removing those firewall panels so they could have been changed. Below is a pic of my recent filter change. These filters have 10-15k on them. It doesn't take long for them to get nasty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Your filters are clean in comparison. Look again at my photos. They are filled with dirt all the way up. There is only a small portion on one filter that isn't blocked.

Edit: Ok, one filter is totally blocked up, the other not so much. But still horrible.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oil catch can 2.0

Moosejaw, are you running the return hose from the Provent back to the turbo intake? Some people just block that intake at the turbo. The electronic plug-in is the heater to keep it from icing up. If it is unplugged there is no code or anything. I have a Provent but have not installed it as I have a new re-designed pcv puck and hose that is supposed to be better. I'm going to change the oil and filters soon and will see if there is any oil in the inlet.
Let us know how much oil @ whatever miles you get in the can.
I'd like to resurrect this thread because I am not getting ready to install my Pro Vent 200. I waited to do this as I had a new design PCV valve installed. When changing the oil and air filters, I discovered that there is still oil in the turbo inlet so MB's new design isn't worth crap.
Has anyone just plugged the pcv inlet at the turbo and just run the return hose from the Provent to the outside? That sure would be easier.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
That probably would be easier but on a boosted engine I don't feel comfortable doing that. I think having that little bit of negative on the crankcase is a benefit. It will keep the oil vapor from going out the wrong holes, keeps your crank seals pointed the correct direction and helps the piston rings seal better.

I think I can run a smaller diameter hose from the turbo inlet and that would make the hose routing so much easier. I did the Pro-Vent on my brothers ML and it was a pain in the butt. I was cursing the whole time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
On the Jeep forum they were just dumping the Provent outlet to the atmosphere. Some put a small air filter on the end in case the pressure changed. The Provent has 2 pressure relief valves built in. I thought the crankcase pressure would be positive.
How much oil are you getting in your reservoir??
Also the Provent literature states to use the same size hose through out the system. If you blocked the turbo inlet it would just suck more air thru your air filters??

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
You don't want positive crankcase pressure, this is why PCVs and oil separators are piped to a vacuum source. Negative is good, positive is bad. Those jeep guys don't give a crap if they push oil out a crank seal, valve cover etc. The cool thing to do on hot rods was a cloth breather on the valve cover (and the constant oil smell in the cabin) but this the worst thing for the crankcase.

The pro vent has 2 vacuum check valves to prevent blow back. They need a negative source to create flow. Waiting for the crankcase to build enough pressure to push past the check valves is not the proper method of operation. This also means the system needs to be tight. I had a few hose clamps loosen up on my ML install and I am considering switching to a click style clamp for a long term solution.

·
Registered
2010 smart 235000 miles! 2010 Piaggio MP3, 2012 mini, '73 seacamper with Volvo diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
FYI I just plugged the intake and kept the heater plugged in and ran a hose to the outside based on the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel post in their forum. Turbo is nice and clear no problems has been about 3000 miles. Only down side is at prolong stops at idle smoke will drift up. Looks like something is wrong and probably not the best for the environment. I might look into rerouting to the air intake at the front before the air filter.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks Moose for the clarification.
Thanks Seaside for the info on your set up.
With the Provent it would be easier to run it to the air box on that side. I change the air filters every time I change the oil so they shouldn't get too bad.

Guys, how much oil are you finding in the can?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
In regards to running directly to the filter housing with the ProVent. There won't be enough vacuum on the atmospheric side of the filter as the filter (obstruction) creates the (higher) vacuum for the system to operate. Going on the clean side of the filter is also bad because you will (potentially) foul the MAF with oil vapor. If you route just a hose it won't be too bad unless the filter gets saturated leading to MAF contamination.

I have considered going into the batwing after the MAF but this is a "can't turn back" type of alteration. This location would be much easier to work with all around as it is a pain to get the batwing lined up in the current configuration.

I checked the ProVent at 5k miles, when I tightened the clamps, and I had about 50 ml (or less) of oil collected. This was over the winter months with many cold starts. I expect summer months to collect more. Normal commutes of 60 miles/day with no towing.

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
35 Posts
It's been a few years since the last post, but thought I'd update with my Provent install. Mine is an '08 ML320. I used 12AN hose that is supposed to be oil resistant. I cut a corner off of my engine cover, so that I would be able to put in back in place. Found a nice spot in front of the fuse box where I could add a bracket to mount the Provent. To tie into the turbo inlet, I used the existing pipe that previously led from the PCV valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
35 Posts
I've only driven it 100 or so miles since installation, but it looks like maybe a milliliter or two of oil has collected so far. The 12an hose is 3/4" O.D. without the braided sheathing and about 5/8 I.D. I cut the sheathing back at the ends and pushed about 1.5 inches of heater hose over the 12an hose, so I'd end up with a 1.0" O.D. Then I was able to use 1.0" I.D. vinyl hose (from Lowes) to connect the 12an hose to the Provent, whose output ports are 1.0" O.D. For the crankcase output, I used the same 1.0" I.D. vinyl hose with 1" Lasco barbed elbows from Lowes. The vinyl hose fit directly over the puck port. For the turbo input hose, the existing hose was 3/4" O.D., the same as the 12an hose, so I just used a piece of heater hose to combine those two. They were a good tight fit and I was out of clamps, but will probably add clamps to that section later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's been a few years since the last post, but thought I'd update with my Provent install. Mine is an '08 ML320. I used 12AN hose that is supposed to be oil resistant. I cut a corner off of my engine cover, so that I would be able to put in back in place. Found a nice spot in front of the fuse box where I could add a bracket to mount the Provent. To tie into the turbo inlet, I used the existing pipe that previously led from the PCV valve.
Thanks for the info & photo's, they great! I'm going to copy your set up & install on my 07 R320 CDI.

Looks like it's been 4 months since you fitted it, feedback about it yet?

Thanks!
Paul.

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
35 Posts
I'm actually really surprised at how much oil it's catching. I've drained it maybe 50 - 100 ml from it so far. I ran a hose from the drain outlet to a valve seated in the splash panel below. I drilled a hole in the splash panel so I can drain directly into an oil pan.
In fact I'm adding a clamp at the drain valve connection this weekend as it's developed a leak between the hose and barbed fitting. Should have one on there already, but I didn't have the right size clamp when I installed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm actually really surprised at how much oil it's catching. I've drained it maybe 50 - 100 ml from it so far. I ran a hose from the drain outlet to a valve seated in the splash panel below. I drilled a hole in the splash panel so I can drain directly into an oil pan.
In fact I'm adding a clamp at the drain valve connection this weekend as it's developed a leak between the hose and barbed fitting. Should have one on there already, but I didn't have the right size clamp when I installed it.
Thanks heaps for all the good info, hose sizes & everything, its much appreciated. I'll use that info to get all the hoses & parts to fit a Provent 200 to mine soon (y)(y)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts