Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 smart 235000 miles! 2010 Piaggio MP3, 2012 mini, '73 seacamper with Volvo diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an oil catch can? From what I read the pcv has a type of centerfuge oil catcher but I don't think it works as good as a catch can. I have some oil pooling at my turbo intake. I'm planing to order one, there looks to be plenty of room to mount it at the passenger front.

If I'm understanding what I have read it could prevent problems with turbo and Dpf as well as have more flexibility on oil types

·
Premium Member
2009 ML 320 Blue Tec - 2008 ML 320 CDI - 2005 E320 CDI
254 Posts
I installed the Mann Provent on my '09 ML 320 BluTech last night. I need to adjust a kinked hose but over all the install isn't that bad except connecting to the turbo side was not easy. Used a 45 degree bend to get around the wastegate controller. No way to use the engine cover with my install. Here is a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 smart 235000 miles! 2010 Piaggio MP3, 2012 mini, '73 seacamper with Volvo diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That connection just before the turbo, I think it's called the pcv heater? Do you what I'd does? Will it throw it a error if it's disconnected?
I was looking at my engine and thought the hoses might fit on the side of the air box and still use the cover but will probably need a smaller hose

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Not sure of the sensor name. Heck, even my '90 Volvo 740 had that sensor. There may not be another way to hook it up. What ever you do keep your turbo side connection sealed tight. Air leaks will cause a loss of power.

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
534 Posts
Moosejaw, are you running the return hose from the Provent back to the turbo intake? Some people just block that intake at the turbo. The electronic plug-in is the heater to keep it from icing up. If it is unplugged there is no code or anything. I have a Provent but have not installed it as I have a new re-designed pcv puck and hose that is supposed to be better. I'm going to change the oil and filters soon and will see if there is any oil in the inlet.
Let us know how much oil @ whatever miles you get in the can.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I ran the hose back to the turbo inlet. I think this is needed to keep the crankcase negative. I will monitor the separator closely for excessive oil collection. I hose clamped the remaining joints to ensure a complete seal and fixed the crimped hose with another elbow.

Yesterday I cleaned all the oil mess from the leaky turbo seal. Air filter was never changed in 50k miles. Almost clogged completely causing lots of oil collection/leakage at the turbo inlet. Going to monitor the weep hole for more oil to ensure I don't have bad oil cooler O-rings. I think the ecu is having to relearn long term fuel trim due to the change in air flow. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds good. You must be a real diesel enthusiast or a glutton for punishment.:) I found that these cdi's suck so much air that the air filters won't last even the 30k they are supposed to. Mine were really nasty after 10k miles. Hope you don't have the oil cooler seal issue.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Has anyone installed an oil catch can? From what I read the pcv has a type of centerfuge oil catcher but I don't think it works as good as a catch can. I have some oil pooling at my turbo intake. I'm planing to order one, there looks to be plenty of room to mount it at the passenger front.

If I'm understanding what I have read it could prevent problems with turbo and Dpf as well as have more flexibility on oil types
There is a new re-designed pcv set up that is supposed to work better. I have one now for a year and have not noticed any oil leaking but will check the turbo inlet soon and let you know.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I bought the '09 ML a few weeks ago and this is how I found the filters. The firewall sections had factory torque on the fasteners as well as all the other fasteners looked untouched. Just plain nasty filters.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,759 Posts
Yikes,...... if that is the way those looked it might not be a bad idea to service everything.
All fluids and filters.

How many miles are on the ML?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
50k on the ML and it is getting everything done. Oil, fuel and transfer case are done. Waiting on gear lube and transmission adapter/filter. It is parked in the garage until all the pm's are done. Those filters were a red flag to me as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just received my eBay catch can and It's way too small. I couldn't tell from the photos but it was only $15. So for now I referred to the jeep diesel forum and plugged the intake at the turbo and ran a hose up over to the front and down out the front passenger wheel area just to see what comes out. There is a good amount of oily smoke, reminds me of the '51 pontiac I once had! I'm planing to build a catch can, I don't think this oily smoke can be good for the intake system. I'm wondering what the inside of my intercooler looks like.

I can see why the oil type is important for the operation of the DPF. Over time I guess a good amount of engine oil is burned. Now I would think if this oil caught before entering the intake the low soot oil won't really matter.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Exactly. Remove the oil completely to prevent further sludge buildup in the intake and remove worries about (as much) oil fouling the dpf. Bonus points for a clean turbo inlet gasket.

·
Registered
ML 320CDI
83 Posts
seasidenj,

Please keep us informed on your progress, you're doing valuable work here!

I'm certainly looking to install a catch can on my 320CDI, but it's started getting cold here so it will hjave to wait till the spring.

If the pipes to the O/C could be routed so that the Engine cover could still be fitted, so much the better, it reduces engine noise a lot....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First phase of oil catch can

pic of bypass of my pcv bypass. This is just until I find or make a proper catch can. If you want to use a gates pre molded hose just check the Inside diamator of the hose you need, it should be about 1 inch, and if you can find an auto store that will let you browse you might find one that will fit your needs or check on Amazon they usually give the full dimensions of the hose . If using eBay, confirm the actual dimensions. I used gates 21605 no cutting needed and a expandable plug from the plumbing department about 1" diamator to plug the hole to the turbo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Moose, how did you attach the can to the fender well? It seems to be plastic.
The hoses are so stiff that I let the can hang and the bottom of the drain valve rests on the frame rail (it has a thread protector on it). This way I can lift it out to drain it or do a quick check on oil level. The can/hoses are wedged pretty good in that spot.

This passes my shake test and there isn't anything that will get damaged from rubbing. I will monitor and make adjustments as req'd. In my experience, there will be adjustments. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hose connection

I just drilled one small hose in the plastic wheel well for a wire tie to hold the hose it just goes out the bottom between the plastic shields for now. There is a good amount of smoke that drifts up at a stop but the gates hose ends to the open space at the passenger head light (I connected about 3 feet of clear hose to exit out the bottom). I don't like the smoke so I'm looking to make or purchase a catch can and have the exhaust enter the air duct before the passenger air filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Catch can

Moose, where did you place the catch can? At the front passenger head light? What catch can did you use? Cost?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts