Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does anyone think about oil additives, like Slik-50, Motor-Up, or some of the other ones, especially on engines with lots of miles.

Also, what about those oil sludge cleaners, you are supposed to put them in your engine a day or two before an oil change and it loosens the sludge and helps it drain out.

I'll be getting an oil change in a couple of days and wanted to know what you thought about suldge cleaners and oil additives and/or what do you reccommend.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
I saw earlier you were replacing the valve cover gasket. Was there sludge in there or brown varnish on the metal parts? Using a 15-40 fleet oil designed for diesel and gas engines, can clean an engine a little faster because of the extra additives for the diesel engines. I don't use any additives or cleaning agents in my cars or motorcycles. My car has 156,000 miles and the engine is shiny looking inside through the oil cap. How many miles are on your ride and what kind of maintaince did it have in its lifetime?

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
Additives are a complete waste of money. Sludge cleaners are risky as they can simply end up loosening crap off valve covers etc which then fouls up the valve gear or blocks oilways. Best to avoid, just change your regular 15-40 or whatever on a regular basis.

Mike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BAD. If you want to prolong the life of your engine, change the oil at proper intervals and use the proper viscosity oil. Synthetic is far superior to normal oils. I always choose Mobile 1.

Sloan Automotive Laboratory

1 - 5 of 5 Posts